• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We took ginseng. Mom saved it until it spoiled because it was 'too expensive' to use.... Ditto for a can of ground coffee that's now 3 years old- they only used it once on our first trip. I've taken (or sent) vitamins. Some of the pills they won't take for whatever reason.

Dad likes the smokes and the cognac. What the heck, he's gonna smoke anyway and give the stuff to his friends.

If you stop in Korea or Japan buy stuff in the duty free stores. Beware of whatever the current liquid limits are on China domestic flights.

Speaking of gifts to bring back?

Red yeast rice extract. It is sort of funny, the big drug companies saw that red yeast rice extract helped to reduce cholesterol in people. So they analyzed it and found the active (again the drug companies must find a single or maybe two components that work well, they can not patent a natural product even it works better). Traditional Chinese med often tells people to use the red yeast to help your blood; lower LDL, raise HDL and reduce triglycerides. Just about all you need, currently none of our drugs can do all three. Than a US company actual went and proved in a double blind study that red yeast extract helps, but than the drug companies got the FDA to ban them, since the work just like their drugs. Now you can not buy the high quality red yeast extract in the US, but you get it in China. Now for the older ones of us that might need to reduce our cholesterol can use the red yeast rice extract. So good stuff to bring back. The stuff made and sold by Beijing University or Peking University.

Red yeast rice extract. It is sort of funny, the big drug companies saw that red yeast rice extract helped to reduce cholesterol in people. So they analyzed it and found the active (again the drug companies must find a single or maybe two components that work well, they can not patent a natural product even it works better). Traditional Chinese med often tells people to use the red yeast to help your blood; lower LDL, raise HDL and reduce triglycerides. Just about all you need, currently none of our drugs can do all three. Than a US company actual went and proved in a double blind study that red yeast extract helps, but than the drug companies got the FDA to ban them, since the work just like their drugs. Now you can not buy the high quality red yeast extract in the US, but you get it in China. Now for the older ones of us that might need to reduce our cholesterol can use the red yeast rice extract. So good stuff to bring back. The stuff made and sold by Beijing University or Peking University.

Spoken like a true chemist, Don. :Dah:

OK, Jim (and Don) if I can translate the above into something understandable, you both now know what I will bring back from China for you. :P

Wish me luck. :P

http://www.boston.com/business/healthcare/..._cancer_on_web/

FDA hits fake cures for cancer on Web

------------------------------------------------

Maybe the drug companies are doing the same trick again.

Red yeast rice extract cleans bad cholestrol and fat from blood. In US good stuff banned, since it works too well and no congress person gets money from cheap drugs. China has several good brands.

:lol:

Oh, nothing. :roller:

Whatever you take, "Made In USA" works well. It will be either "gooda face" or "no gooda face," but non the less.

You are a good man Dennis, I'm sure all will just be in awe of your presence.

Have a safe and wonderful visit.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I had this list in May when I first visited the family..lol.. but I did OK with my guesses...

Chocolates (Belgium, Asher's, and Hershey's

(note: Asher's chocolate covered pretzels..big hit !!)

Altoids (mint)

scented candles (gardenia)

Harley-Davidson sweatshirts (did not bring enough !!)

multi-vitamins

2007 mint sets

hair products (assorted)

working on my December travel list now..lol..thanks for the added suggestions.. :)