Simple Translations and Evolution of Relationship Letter

Hello everyone!!!

Well, we are preparing for the interview and I had one concern arise. Since hubby and I both met at university, I wanted to include a copy of both of our "certificate of completion" copies. They state the date that we entered the language program (reflecting the fact that we both started there as classmates) and also our ending date. I also hoped that this would be viewed as some evidence of us actually being able to speak Japanese together (even though we have an affidavit from a Japanese friend saying we have no problems)

My question is, can I do simple translations? The certificate is all in Japanese, but it is soooo simple...Name, Student Number, Entry Date, Exit Date, and a few others. Can I do the translation, even though I am not "certified"? If I cannot, then I don't want to waste money on it if you all don't think it's that important (we have a completion diplmoa written in both Japanese and English, the only problem is it doesn't have the entry date, which is kind of what I was going for)

My second question is, are you all willing to read my evolution letter? I am still finishing it off since I started writing it about 3 months ago so I wanted to add a few things to it before I get the CFL approval.

Thanks all in advance!!

For this, yes, your translation is fine. Add a sheet that states you have a full understanding of both languages and that - to the best of your knowledge - the translation is true and correct. sign it.

Only notarized requests require extra attension.

As for your evolution letter! Based on you previous posts I don't think the senior members hearts could handle the palpitations. :wub:

Hello xiaofeizhu,

I will read it, but please put in all the "GOOD SEX" things.. :D :P :ph34r: :wub:

Tom and Ling

As for your evolution letter! Based on you previous posts I don't think the senior members hearts could handle the palpitations. wub.gif

For this, yes, your translation is fine. Add a sheet that states you have a full understanding of both languages and that - to the best of your knowledge - the translation is true and correct. sign it.

Only notarized requests require extra attension.

As for your evolution letter! Based on you previous posts I don't think the senior members hearts could handle the palpitations. :wub:

I would recommend that you keep the evolution letter simple and factual. I also wouldn't go on and on about emotions. You have a very straightforward and believable situation ... two classmates hang out, then date and fall in love in college ... what could be more natural.

You don't want to have some non-essential detail trigger an unexpected line of questioning.

Yo Yo Erika - try to keep the EOR to two pages or less, and leave out most of the sexual positions you two have used this year and last.

I note that for most blue slip overcomes, the EOR was handwritten and notarized, but for those who frontloaded it, it was printed , with or without the notary mark.

Be Sweet! and Sweet Smelling !!

Our letter is pretty factual...when and how we met, when we started dating, living together, when we came to live in China, and some bits in between about my family coming to Japan and China to meet his family. We also included a bit about what our plans are in America. I think I will upload it soon after this post.

The official version

Dear Immigration Visa Officer,

I first met [HUSBAND :o] in Kyoto, Japan, in September of 2005. We were both foreign students at Ryukoku University participating in the Japanese Culture and Language Program. We met when I fell off my bicycle and Zhendong helped me up. From that time on, we usually had lunch together, and talked often between classes. Because I could not speak Chinese and Zhendong could not speak English, we communicated in Japanese. We also went out with other friends at nights and on weekends to explore and experience Japan’s culture.

I believe that because we both began studying in Japan at the same time, we were really able to connect. We understood each others’ confusions, loneliness, etc. and had many things in common. On May 11, 2006 Zhendong finally asked me to be his girlfriend. He introduced me to his older sister and her husband, who were also foreign students in Kyoto. In June of 2006 I started living with Zhendong in his dormitory.

We continued dating and in December of 2006, Zhendong asked me to marry him. It was important that both of our parents approved, and they did. My mom, dad, and younger sister were able to fly to Japan and on January 9, 2007 we were married in Kyoto. Unfortunately, Zhendong’s parents and an older sister could not be there, but Zhendong’s oldest sister and her husband were there for the wedding. Zhendong’s sister and my mom were the witnesses for our marriage.

In March 2007, we move out of our dormitory and we rented an apartment. Around May 2007, we decided to move to China so that I could meet his family and also study Chinese. In July 2007, my mom, dad, sister, and childhood friend, Tyler, came to Japan to visit us and help us prepare for our move. On July 25, 2007 we arrived in China. Zhendong’s mom, dad, and older sister came to meet us at the airport. We then came to Inner Mongolia, which is where his family is from. Zhendong’s oldest sister came home for the summer and we went traveling and sightseeing with the entire family.

In September 2007 we moved to Beijing so that I could study Chinese at Beijing Foreign Studies University. We rented an apartment together and stayed in Beijing until January 2008. In November of 2007, my mom and dad came to Beijing to visit and to meet Zhendong’s parents. It was a very exciting time and both sets of parents enjoyed seeing Beijing together and meeting for the first time.

In January 2008 we celebrated our one year wedding anniversary. We also celebrated the Chinese New Year together with Zhendong’s parents and sisters. We are currently living in Inner Mongolia, awaiting Zhendong’s green card. After receiving the visa, Zhendong and I plan to go to my hometown, Hilo, Hawaii, where we will live with my parents and go to school. We would like to find work in Hawaii, buy a home there, and raise a family.

We still communicate mostly in Japanese, but my Chinese is improving, and I am able to communicate with his family. When Zhendong goes to America, I know he will study very hard so that he can communicate in English. We would really like to go to America soon so that we can settle down. For those reasons, I sincerely ask you for a favorable outcome to today’s interview. Thank you very much for your time and consideration!

Sincerely,

ME :ph34r:

The for CFL eyes only version will come up in the TC since this is "public"

PS, please give me your honest opinion. Too emotional? Too long? Too much details? I would really like to know. If it doesn't sound good, please don't say "looks perfect" haha. It's hard for me to read it objectively.

Edited by xiaofeizhu (see edit history)

I would take out anything about his 'future studying'. IMO, it sounds like he's taking advantage of something/someone to further his education. Just my 2 RMB.

Our letter is pretty factual...when and how we met, when we started dating, living together, when we came to live in China, and some bits in between about my family coming to Japan and China to meet his family. We also included a bit about what our plans are in America. I think I will upload it soon after this post.

Erika - I know an EOR is good to have, I frontloaded the CR-1 and I-129F to include one. But - since you've already filed - I have silly procedural question for ya. Are you seeing any 'requirement' for it on any subsequent paperwork that he's received from GUZ? TIA !

Be Sweet, and Sweet Smelling !

Hey - you dinna include anything about cooking, or who's doing the cooking (silly smile) ... Cooking is important !! well, only to me, sooooooooooo maybe not...

Guest Rob & Jin

JMHO

Its a nice letter, but I cant see a VO reading it at the interview, its too detailed.

Make it more like a timeline

Met - date

communicate- how

engaged- date

marry- date

file- date

live together since, etc.. etc,

KISS is the way to go

remember you are dealing with bean counters, not literature students.

Erika - I know an EOR is good to have, I frontloaded the CR-1 and I-129F to include one. But - since you've already filed - I have silly procedural question for ya. Are you seeing any 'requirement' for it on any subsequent paperwork that he's received from GUZ? TIA !

Be Sweet, and Sweet Smelling !

At the time I filed, I did not think of frontloading it. (Bad idea on my part, I know). I do not see any requirements for it since we are CR-1 (don't need that intent to marry kind of stuff) but I thought it might me nice to have as 'relationship' proof or something.

PS to your cooking question...I cooked all the time in Japan since we had an oven, hubby is good with doing things in the wok (haha, not those things, although he probably is good at those things too)

I have been taking your advice on learning to cook with mama, though. The only thing that is kind of difficult about the whole thing is that you know how they always just guesstimate and add ingredients "to taste"...this sometimes results in different tastes for the same dish made say, a week later. I'm getting the jist of it though! Hehe!

JMHO

Its a nice letter, but I cant see a VO reading it at the interview, its too detailed.

Make it more like a timeline

Met - date

communicate- how

engaged- date

marry- date

file- date

live together since, etc.. etc,

KISS is the way to go

remember you are dealing with bean counters, not literature students.

Thank you! I kind of thought it was long too....it was REALLY hard to keep it to one page...lol. I think I will try your timeline idea. Should I forward it with something like, Dear Immigration Visa Officer, below is a small timeline of our relationship...? I am sorry that I do not know what KISS is...I must have missed the memo, can you please tell me about it?

Guest Rob & Jin

yes I did and I took it to ASC a day or two before the interview to get it notarized, my impression it was read as it disappeared for maybe 15 minutes while they did their thing.

I got my passport notarized by them too at the same time

Interesting thing, when Jin went for her interview at the hand in window the worker said"I see your fiancee is here"

News travels I guess :D

Edited by Rob & Jin (see edit history)