Travelling to Canada

My family plan to travel to Canada this summer. We are going to drive into Canada, by the way. How do I change into Canadian dollar from U.S. dollar and obtain the best exchange rate? Here are options:

(1) Drive into Canadian border and find a currency exchange place near the border.

(2) Use a Canadian ATM machine inside of Canada to withdraw CAD with my U.S. bank debit card.

(3) Change the USD in CAD in a U.S. bank before making the trip.

(4) Change the USD into CAD in a Canadian bank after arriving at Canada.

The thing is we may need Canadian currency right after we enter Canada. But I do not believe they accept USD there. I am not familiar with Canada at all.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

You should not have any problem using US currency in Canada. (I'm Canadian, BTW). Canadian businesses have accepted US currency since Caesar was in military school. The US and Canuck bucks are virtually at par these days, so it's likely that a premium will be neither requested nor given. When I visit the States, I simply use my Canadian ATM card to withdraw cash. Much easier than walking into the bank and exchanging. The rates of exchange, with my bank at least, seem good. (I also use it here in Chongqing to withdraw RMB, which saves a lot of hassle.)

With respect to the question of your wife's green card.....'fraid I can't help you there. My gut feeling is that she will be okay. You might want to check it out on the Canadian govt's website.

Hope your stay is pleasant.

Also how do I convert the Canadian currency back into USD, when we return to the States. We are only staying there for a few days.

My wife has a US green card. I do not think she needs a Canadian visa, right?

That's right. No visa needed with green card. Just make sure you have her passport in case they ask for it. The Canadian officer wanted to see Lisa's during entry. I think just to verify her identity.

So are you suggesting that there is no need to convert US dollar to Canadian dollar before I go, because they accept US dollar everywhere? Even when I ride a subway train or pay at a restaurant?

Thank you for your response.

You should not have any problem using US currency in Canada.

Agree. However, I never rode a subway....

My wife and I entered Canada, spent US dollars or used our credit cards, and returned to the US showing her green card & passport twice last summer.

The cash register machines we saw are already set up for either US dollar or Canadian dollars and, as mentioned, have been for years. In the days before computers, when my family traveled the AlCan highway to Alaska and back, four times, they used printed dollar conversion tables. I cannot recall ever exchanging money.

Don't forget to carry your marriage documents.

Stone,

Paying at a restaurant or convenience store with American cash should be no problem at all. Dropping a few American quarters into a Coke machine may not work, however. I know that the American machines don't like Canuck quarters, so the reverse may be true.

You should, also, have no problem purchasing subway tokens with American cash. I've never actually done that, but do not foresee it as a problem. I've often used my "leftover" American cash to make purchases when I've returned from the States.

If you're driving into Canada, you could simply stop at a gas station after entering and get a little cash at an ATM. If you're flying in, the airports have them also, as well as those "currency conversion" kiosks. Those places, however, tend to charge a higher premium than either the banks or the ATMs, as you are no doubt aware.

Stone,

Paying at a restaurant or convenience store with American cash should be no problem at all. Dropping a few American quarters into a Coke machine may not work, however. I know that the American machines don't like Canuck quarters, so the reverse may be true.

You should, also, have no problem purchasing subway tokens with American cash. I've never actually done that, but do not foresee it as a problem. I've often used my "leftover" American cash to make purchases when I've returned from the States.

If you're driving into Canada, you could simply stop at a gas station after entering and get a little cash at an ATM. If you're flying in, the airports have them also, as well as those "currency conversion" kiosks. Those places, however, tend to charge a higher premium than either the banks or the ATMs, as you are no doubt aware.

You ATM card will work just fine, but normally convert in the country you are going to. The USA banks are very bad at converting money (too high of a charge).

Don't forget to carry your marriage documents.

Why are my marriage documents so important, since my wife already has her green card? I only have our origional marriage certificate printed in Chinese (the little red book). Is that good enough? I do not have the translated English version.

Thank you all for your response.

Hey Guns! LTNS! How's that Chongqing girl??

Turns out that Guns and I are practically neighbors in Chongqing ... sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.

Well, now that it's been hijacked.......

I married her, Jim. Now living here in Tian Yi Xin Cheung within spitting distance of your mom-in-law. She and my M-I-L have chatted on occasion. I run around the central courtyard every day, often being joined by others who chat away merrily at me. My response is usually, "duibuqi, wo budong"!! Wonderful, friendly people. Life is good.

You ATM card will work just fine, but normally convert in the country you are going to. The USA banks are very bad at converting money (too high of a charge).

I just checked with my bank: 100 USD => 96 CAD; 100 CAD => 93 USD. So when I convert into Candian dollar, I lose 4; and when I convert back into USD, I lose another 7. The total is 11 dollar for 100 dollar conversion back and forth, which is like 11% charge between buying and selling rates.

I think I will just carry US dollar with me for the trip. Thank you for your responses.

Here's a thought, albeit misaligned.

Set up a Western Union thingie before you get on the road. Send yerself 2000 usd , receiveable in some border city in either Canadian or US Dollars. When you pick it up, pick it up in Canadian money.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

We went to Canada last year. USD is no problem.

There is no need to worry about exchange.

The rate was and still is almost the same.

We spent USD everywhere, but mostly used visa to rack up air miles.

Don't worry, they take USD happily. Money is money.

As long as the exchange rate remains equal, no one cares.

Each is used with no problems.