Airlines want to weigh you

A sign of things to come one day. Airlines have to start making money or they will go out of business.The government cannot afford to keep bailing them out.

I feel the days of cheaper tickets are long gone now. I look for them to start weighing carry-on bags soon. Which maybe a good idea as I do not like the overhead bins coming open on flights in turbulence from such heavy bags.

The bad thing is, only the customers suffer in this. Less flights, reduced services.

Paul

So how much will they charge? Sheesh. Are we charged by the pound or are we charged by weight classes? I agree with the whole "getting people on the scale thing" 不好意思! What about pregnant women? I know they can't fly in the last trimester, but is it really fair to charge the unborn child?

Better start those diets soon.

Hey, on the plus side, maybe Americans won't be so obese anymore when the obese people find out they are paying double what they should.

Edited by xiaofeizhu (see edit history)

I can see the idea of making extra wide people pay for two seats, you know the kind of people who take up a whole aisle at Wal-Mart, they really are as big as two seats. But some people are just big, perhaps even tall and muscular too, and they would be heavier than a 90-pound clarinet teacher but that is not their fault - they still take up only one seat. It has always been the seat itself which was the basis for apportioning the charge and it should stay this way. What, are they going to give waif-like individuals a discount? Yes, charge for the heavier bags, that is fair. But unless they are going to have different sized seats charging by weight would not be fair. (Of course I know already they don't worry about fair or not).

While embarrassing and discriminatory it seems fair to me.

The plane has to lift a certain amount of weight off the ground and it takes energy to do that. If you weigh more you pay more. As a big guy, I won't like it, but then that's how it goes.

LOL, I just thought about how one day, if this really happens, people will start riding planes in their underwear so they don't accumulate "clothes weight"

I'm all for weighing passengers and letting them pay for their lard. Once on a Southwest flight I had an 18 year old slob who probably weighed 400 pounds seated next to me. His lard flowed over the armrest into my seating area.

We don't see the really large slobs on the long flights to China.......they wouldn't be able to fit into the WC if they had to. :P :P

But unless they are going to have different sized seats charging by weight would not be fair.

Business class vs cattle class. If a person's ass takes the space of two normal ones, they don't belong in coach.

Having been to the airport here in SLC twice in the last two day's (shipping kid's off to mom's), from what I saw there was no shortage of people who would pay dearly if charged by weight.......Taking care of yourself can save money in many ways. :unsure:

LOL, I just thought about how one day, if this really happens, people will start riding planes in their underwear so they don't accumulate "clothes weight"

Or Bamboo paper clothes. Can recycle !

I am happy to report I lost 10 pounds this week from sweating like a hawg , working at the farm. Lets see how much I'll lose, total before I jump on the plane.

After I returned from Wuhan in January, I note that I put on about 15 pounds, and my body looked like HakkaMike's in his 'pool divot' YouTube video. It ain't pretty ! :)

From the first article:

* Using lighter plates and silverware (Japan Airlines)

* Flying slower (Southwest Air)

* Cutting out water (Singapore Airlines)

* Using generators on the ground (American)

* Washing frequently (Deutsche Lufthansa)

How about pay the CEO's less :D

Everything is passed along to the consumer to the point that the consumer can ill afford it... seems that nobody upstream is willing to take a hard look at what they can do themselves; from the parts people, to the plants, to the manfacturer's to the airports to the airlines.

Hot potato, hot potato...

Since the American business man is of high moral fiber and adheres to a strong and fair ethical code, I¡¯m sure that my 95 pound wife will get to fly for almost nothing-thus making up for my overindulging self having to pay more.

Since the American business man is of high moral fiber and adheres to a strong and fair ethical code, I¡¯m sure that my 95 pound wife will get to fly for almost nothing-thus making up for my overindulging self having to pay more.

Trigg - you would weigh much less IIF Don got you those cereal coupons in a timely fashion. Hang in There, Colon Cleansing is FUN!