Which form or instruction set asks for Ex-spouses' SSN

Which form/instruction set actually requests the ex-spouses SSN?

I remember reading some where that this information is required, but I do not remember seeing it in any of the documents.

My X wants to know and I cannot find it.

Could it be a myth?

Guest Mike and Lily

I remember reading some where that this information is required, but I do not remember seeing it in any of the documents.

Could it be a myth?

No form asks for it. But it could be asked for in the interview. (along with copies of utility bills of the ex and a signed statement of the course of your relationship with your ex). None of these are requested on any form, but all have been requested at an interview (or for overcome) at one time or another. Just one of the many surprises GUZ has to offer.

This must be written up in the application forms some where, isn't it?

Why would a Fianc¨¦e or even a wife know the SSN or the husband's ex-wife?

Very unreasonable...and especially unreasonable if it is not documented some where.

This must be written up in the application forms some where, isn't it?

Why would a Fianc¨¦e or even a wife know the SSN or the husband's ex-wife?

Very unreasonable...and especially unreasonable if it is not documented some where.

I agree 100% - this is one of the most ridiculous things GUZ has pulled on applicants. They have no business asking for a third party's SS. I don't think this would even be allowed in the US.

There is no form, which asks for this info.

A little over a year ago, one member reported here, post interview, that his fianc¨¦e was asked for this info.

Upon posting that info the usual panic set in and it became the issue of the month, and generated many posts.

Since that time, there have been a 'few' more, wherein this has been asked for during the interview.

There has not been however, frequent requests for this info.

Many, including myself, when I filed nearly a year ago, proactively included this info with my original petition as an addendum to the file, on a plain sheet of paper and included in the cover letter Table of Contents.

Attached is the link from GUZ speaks, in response to a question in this regard:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23794

Could it be a myth?

I would think that if she doesn't want you to give it out, that's a very good reason to NOT give it out. Maybe your ex would be willing to sign a statement to that effect, which you could then give to GUZ.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Based on that response from GUZSpeaks, maybe it's time to recommend that all divorced USCs include in the kitchen sink as SOP a letter stating something to the effect of: "Due to concerns over identity theft etc, my ex-spouse has refused to provide his/her SSN. I have provided alternative proof of his/her separate residence." blah blah blah? Hopefully it would be a little easier to get the ex to provide photocopies of bills etc w/ current address as opposed to SSN.

Now I didn't have to worry about any of this when I filed so I'm sure there are things I haven't considered and this suggestion may be worthless. Just thinking out loud.

the newly revised (02/08) p-4 appointment letter asks for this info to be brought to the interview.

The SSN specifically?

Yes, (If Necessary) but the question is addressed toward the beneficiary

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/up..._applicants.pdf

So that seems to partly apply to an applicant who was previously married to a USC, hence the SSN request. It's not asking for the Petitioner's ex's SSN.

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

Smity, the cover letter that Ping received with the P-4 information (Rev. 07/2007) has a section that says:

Submit these items during your interview:

If you were married previously, please bring in documents containing the following information for your interview: your ex-spouse's name, date of birth, social security number (if applicable), last known address and telephone number.

There are other required items also listed.

The letter is addressed "Dear Applicant."

The Beneficiary is the Applicant.

It can easily be argued that the requirement for the SSN pertains only to the Applicant (if applicable), because it says "If YOU were married previously ... .

This is especially true, because in the bullet point of the letter that precedes the one I have quoted above, when it wants the Applicant to bring something from the Petitioner, it asks for it clearly:

Proof of Petitioner's residency in the United States. Proof can include blah blah blah.

We all know, however, that a good argument with the VO is not the best way to obtain a visa. I personally like Dave's suggestion as a way of dealing with the issue.

JMHO

Smity, the cover letter that Ping received with the P-4 information (Rev. 07/2007) has a section that says:

Submit these items during your interview:

If you were married previously, please bring in documents containing the following information for your interview: your ex-spouse's name, date of birth, social security number (if applicable), last known address and telephone number.

There are other required items also listed.

The letter is addressed "Dear Applicant."

The Beneficiary is the Applicant.

It can easily be argued that the requirement for the SSN pertains only to the Applicant (if applicable), because it says "If YOU were married previously ... .

This is especially true, because in the bullet point of the letter that precedes the one I have quoted above, when it wants the Applicant to bring something from the Petitioner, it asks for it clearly:

Proof of Petitioner's residency in the United States. Proof can include blah blah blah.

We all know, however, that a good argument with the VO is not the best way to obtain a visa. I personally like Dave's suggestion as a way of dealing with the issue.

JMHO

TL, I agree with your 'take' on this, with respect to the 'applicant' and any former marriages he/she had !! ;)

I see no formal requirement, for the USC Petitioner, unless it is requested, by USCIS or GUZ. Again, this has only impacted a handful of members over the past 14 to 15 months, since it first reared its head.

My guess also, is that it for the most part, this [maybe] has centered over an 'ex' who was a previous K-visa recipient vs. a USC ex ???