Food Shopping with the Wife

Today at the food market, my wife was looking at the sausages and said to me, "Why buy sausages when you can buy hotdogs because they are the same". I said, "they are not the same, they are two different food items all together" and she said,"NO, they are the same!" and then she said," In China hotdogs and saugages are the same" and I told her, " We are not in China now, we are in America and they are different". Anybody else has this situation?

Oh, just wait to you go through a "Drive Thru" and she wants a burger. When she unwraps the burger to eat, she says,"I wanted the burger that has wings. Translation: A Chicken Sandwich...lol. Chinese and Japanese say that anything between two buns is a burger...So yes, a hot dog and sausage are the same.. :lol:

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)

Time to dig into those Discovery Channel shows on 'How its made'.

Remind her that hot dogs contain body parts that even SHE (who must be obeyed, btw) would not even consider to try to cook.

You could also go over the rigors of 'kosher' preparation , comparing it to non-kosher prep.

But hey - there's a good reason a pack o hot dogs cost 89 cents - its chock full of left over body parts that won't go into anything else.

Or, you could compare the ingredients list of two packages, let her decide how much chemicals she wants to ingest.

I don't eat hot dogs any more unless they be kosher. Sausage, on the other hand, I'll be brave and wiley and try almost any type.

Maybe she's confusing that 'potted meat' stuff that is precooked and quite easy to put out for breakfast? IIRC, almost same processing techniques as hot dogs here, but formed into different shapes and sizes.

I guess you two could totally stymie this argument and shove over to eating only tofu?

what are yer thoughts?

LOL.

Sausage/hotdogs are chicken based everytime I have went shopping with my Lao Po there in China. To make life easier, I plan to let her shop at 2 local Asian Super-markets, as I know my diet is going to change once she's here, where is the beef!

Guest Tony n Terrific

When I was in Nanning with my wife I bought her and myself a couple of hotdogs and they had corn mixed in with them as a filler. No buns just served on a stick. They were actually pretty tasty.

Today at the food market, my wife was looking at the sausages and said to me, "Why buy sausages when you can buy hotdogs because they are the same". I said, "they are not the same, they are two different food items all together" and she said,"NO, they are the same!" and then she said," In China hotdogs and saugages are the same" and I told her, " We are not in China now, we are in America and they are different". Anybody else has this situation?

First, and not to get too far off of topic, my favorite hot dog brand is Vienna Brand, out of Chicago !! They are one of the brands that have the 'snap' of the natural casing, when you bite into them and no fillers like most of the cheaper ones contain.

Here is there product link:

http://www.viennabeef.com/products/categor...p?CATEGORY_ID=2

Next, as I am most likely much older than you, and my wife is truly the last woman in my life; I most likely would not have gone down the road, "We are not in China now, we be in America !!" :lol: :lol:

Nope, I would not go there....not over a damn hotdog, anyway !!! :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Wow, on this near 100 deg. day, a couple of great hot dogs, with an ice cold MGD, would really hit the spot right now !!! B)

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

Time to dig into those Discovery Channel shows on 'How its made'.

Remind her that hot dogs contain body parts that even SHE (who must be obeyed, btw) would not even consider to try to cook.

You could also go over the rigors of 'kosher' preparation , comparing it to non-kosher prep.

But hey - there's a good reason a pack o hot dogs cost 89 cents - its chock full of left over body parts that won't go into anything else.

Or, you could compare the ingredients list of two packages, let her decide how much chemicals she wants to ingest.

I don't eat hot dogs any more unless they be kosher. Sausage, on the other hand, I'll be brave and wiley and try almost any type.

Maybe she's confusing that 'potted meat' stuff that is precooked and quite easy to put out for breakfast? IIRC, almost same processing techniques as hot dogs here, but formed into different shapes and sizes.

I guess you two could totally stymie this argument and shove over to eating only tofu?

what are yer thoughts?

We eat tofu too. But I never thought we would have an hour discussion on hotdogs.

First, and not to get too far off of topic, my favorite hot dog brand is Vienna Brand, out of Chicago !! They are one of the brands that have the 'snap' of the natural casing, when you bite into them and no fillers like most of the cheaper ones contain.

Next, as I am most likely much older than you, and my wife is truly the last woman in my life; I most likely would not have gone down the road, "We are not in China now, we be in America !!" :lol: :lol:

Nope, I would not go there....not over a damn hotdog, anyway !!! :rolleyes: :lol: B)

Wow, on this near 100 deg. day, a couple of great hot dogs, with an ice cold MGD, would really hit the spot right now !!! B)

Don't worry my wife just laughs at me. I am like television with out ever turning the TV on. Also she read all these posts and my wife still thinks she is right. I don't know what to do. :lol:

Guest Mike and Lily

There are a few things the wife needed to get used used to here. My wife was surprised that I drank ice water with my meals. I guess she never understood why I complained when we would walk into a restaurant in Guangzhou when it's 100 degrees out, and they would serve me hot water.

The thing that bothered her the most by far is that the chicken and vegetables weren't fresh. We just can't walk to the marketplace and buy a live chicken just like in Conghua. I am used to it, but that was tough for her. She was not used to all the packaging on the food either.

There are a few things the wife needed to get used used to here. My wife was surprised that I drank ice water with my meals. I guess she never understood why I complained when we would walk into a restaurant in Guangzhou when it's 100 degrees out, and they would serve me hot water.

The thing that bothered her the most by far is that the chicken and vegetables weren't fresh. We just can't walk to the marketplace and buy a live chicken just like in Conghua. I am used to it, but that was tough for her. She was not used to all the packaging on the food either.

Mike,

How true, but at least here as I have said earlier, we have 2 Asian Supermarkets, so anything she needs, we should be able to find it.

Next, as I am most likely much older than you, and my wife is truly the last woman in my life; I most likely would not have gone down the road, "We are not in China now, we be in America !!" :lol: :(

Nope, I would not go there....not over a damn hotdog, anyway !!! :angry: :lol: :D

Wow, on this near 100 deg. day, a couple of great hot dogs, with an ice cold MGD, would really hit the spot right now !!! :P

Not to be off topic too. But, Roger is truly a connoisseur of Hot Dogs....Vienna Hot Dogs...simply the best.. :D