which one is faster, marriage or K1

Guest another_old_fart

Hi Tony,

it seems like the K1 visa process for most people have taken at least a year to be completed, and if that is the norm, I see no difference in time for applying for a spouse visa.

Guest enight

K1 seems much faster in many of cases I have heard...

and it also depends on which state you apply for, different area has various process time.

such as MA, CT took 8 months in last year, but Carlifornia took over one year or even longer in last year..

My wife and I had this discussion. We decided what we wanted to have was a traditional wedding in China, regardless of the visa processing. And the wedding was absolutely incredible.

I think that's the way to make the decision. What's important to the two of you personally? The visa is going to take a while either way. The memory of your wedding will last a lifetime.

we too considered the china marriage option and K3 processing. This was almost two years ago. Decided to go the K1 route, even shortly after 9/11 it seemed the logical thing to do. Well.......by the time i got everything together and submitted the 129, it was late spring of 2002 and we are STILL waiting. Had I to do it over again, K3 would be my choice. And there is the factor of being able for her parents to attend the wedding. Of course, switching at this point makes no sense.

I would recommend getting married in China. One of the biggest factors is that it would allow your bride's relatives to attend the wedding which is an even bigger factor in China than it is in America. Believe me, regardless of what she tells you, it would really mean alot to your bride. Besides, it was a great experience!

Personally, I am glad that I spent the two years in China. I understand my wife much better now that I understand her culture better. Yes it is hard finding a job in the US again, but overall it is worth it. A point that I see many Americans missing in this process is that they don't understand just how different the Chinese culture really is. You can read all you want about it, but you don't really learn until you live in it for an extended period.

Just my opinion.