Rebate excludes many taxpayers with foreign spouses

What the heck? It's worth reading again!

I think it's the first time we've heard that it was due to an effort to keep illegal immigrants from getting rebates.

The IRS has also talked about a tax credit worksheet for next year that might help.

Thank you for the article !!

This is the first I have seen of this story in the media.

I am so damn tight-jawed right now my BP must be 160, after I read the comments of this creep, from the illegal immigrant citizen's group !!! :)

¡°Spokesman Ira Mehlman said the exclusion of legal immigrants and Americans married to non-citizens was an unintended consequence.¡± ¡­¡­." If you're serving abroad and haven't been able to file the paperwork, they should make an exception," he said. "If one spouse is a citizen, is here legally and is filing, they should probably be entitled."

We should ¡°probably be entitled.¡± Such rhetorical BS !!! I have been a hard working tax paying USC all my life and I am a veteran who served in the military during the Viet Nam era; and now this puke in his haste to keep illegal aliens out, wants to disenfranchise another USC and his two USC children, as well as countless thousands more just like me, by putting a loop-hole in the legislation, to keep us from getting a benefit we should be entitled to under any common-sense logic. :lol:

I fired off an e-mail this evening to my US Senator, Diane Feinstein, in San Francisco. It won¡¯t do any good, but at least they know someone is pissed off. :(

I am so damn tight-jawed right now my BP must be 160, after I read the comments of this creep, from the illegal immigrant citizen's group !!! :)

¡°Spokesman Ira Mehlman said the exclusion of legal immigrants and Americans married to non-citizens was an unintended consequence.¡± ¡­¡­." If you're serving abroad and haven't been able to file the paperwork, they should make an exception," he said. "If one spouse is a citizen, is here legally and is filing, they should probably be entitled."

We should ¡°probably be entitled.¡± Such rhetorical BS !!! I have been a hard working tax paying USC all my life and I am a veteran who served in the military during the Viet Nam era; and now this puke in his haste to keep illegal aliens out, wants to disenfranchise another USC and his two USC children, as well as countless thousands more just like me, by putting a loop-hole in the legislation, to keep us from getting a benefit we should be entitled to under any common-sense logic. :lol:

I fired off an e-mail this evening to my US Senator, Diane Feinstein, in San Francisco. It won¡¯t do any good, but at least they know someone is pissed off. :(

Specifically for you and yer wife, I can understand why you'd be upset.

But - hey ! you filed jointly this tax season? you already got a tax deduction !!!

if you want more tax deductions for next year - hey - set up a small biz, file the schedule C, decrease yer taxable income ...

Seriously, this was covered before. Being mad about it now, during the weeks of 'check issuance' isn't useful - the time for b|tching was during the committee hearing time, and not the 'read it on CFL' time.

I am so damn tight-jawed right now my BP must be 160, after I read the comments of this creep, from the illegal immigrant citizen's group !!! :(

I fired off an e-mail this evening to my US Senator, Diane Feinstein, in San Francisco. It won¡¯t do any good, but at least they know someone is pissed off. ;)

Specifically for you and yer wife, I can understand why you'd be upset.

But - hey ! you filed jointly this tax season? you already got a tax deduction !!!

if you want more tax deductions for next year - hey - set up a small biz, file the schedule C, decrease yer taxable income ...

Seriously, this was covered before. Being mad about it now, during the weeks of 'check issuance' isn't useful - the time for b|tching was during the committee hearing time, and not the 'read it on CFL' time.

GMAFB !!!! :) :D

Well, considering this came out today, the couple pictured think they are in entilttled to a join rebate. He's here on a work Visa, and she has no SSN and can't work but does have a (TIN #) for tax purposes, can't be claimed as a dependents without a TIN#. Niether one of them are U.S. citizens, even though they are here legally. Even GC holders face the same problem until they change there status, to that of Naturalized Citizen.

Even though IRS came out late in process (April 14, 2008) in explaining how one should file to obtain a rebate, it was to late for them to change the way they filed (Joint-Return) which caused them to be excluded. He should have file as Head of Household, this wouldn't be an issue at this point. He might have seen a rebate of $600.00 and not the family rebate of $1200.00 he was hoping for because of her status.

Even though I don't think this happen again but then again I could be wrong, those of us with foreign spouses will face the same problem, until we have them natualized.

Well, considering this came out today, the couple pictured think they are in entilttled to a join rebate. He's here on a work Visa, and she has no SSN and can't work but does have a (TIN #) for tax purposes, can't be claimed as a dependents without a TIN#. Niether one of them are U.S. citizens, even though they are here legally. Even GC holders face the same problem until they change there status, to that of Naturalized Citizen.

Even though IRS came out late in process (April 14, 2008) in explaining how one should file to obtain a rebate, it was to late for them to change the way they filed (Joint-Return) which caused them to be excluded. He should have file as Head of Household, this wouldn't be an issue at this point. He might have seen a rebate of $600.00 and not the family rebate of $1200.00 he was hoping for because of her status.

Even though I don't think this happen again but then again I could be wrong, those of us with foreign spouses will face the same problem, until we have them natualized.

This rebate is dependent only on getting a Social Security number.

K-1's, and CR-1/2's are eligible (for an SS card) as soon as their information is in the computer. K-2/3/4 are eligible when they get an EAD card (normally within 90 days)

K-1's, and CR-1/2's are eligible (for an SS card) as soon as their information is in the computer. K-2/3/4 are eligible when they get an EAD card (normally within 90 days)

Yes, my question is can I file an amended return, with the only change being my wifes ss#, and then get the rebates checks?

Yes, my question is can I file an amended return, with the only change being my wifes ss#, and then get the rebates checks?

That is a very good question !!

It is still my hope, with the news story breaking yesterday and so many US service personnel, along with the rest of us who are already married, but do not have her here yet, having been disenfranchised/impacted; that they may make an adjustment to the language of the law and allow the payments to come forth, in the next several weeks ??

I raised this in my e-mail to my Senator yesterday.

Most likely just wishful thinking, but you never know in today's political world ??

The IRS has talked about issuing checks to those who file "later in the year". They have also talked about a Tax Rebate Worksheet for the 2008 returns. I'm guessing that these will clear up some of the issues. But they have as yet not stated anything very concrete.

I've given links for these before - I'll find them tonight.