The influence of Charlie Chan movies

I loved the Charlie Chan movies when I was a kid and didn't realize Charlie Chan was not played by a Chinese guy.

http://www.charliechan.net

The story lines were always clever and I loved the "Chinese proverbs."

These movies probably had an influence on me.

BTW - Does anyone know where I could get a list of Charlie Chan's "Chinese proverbs" ??? TIA

Is Jackie any relation to Charlie? :D

Charlie is a fictional Chinese guy played by a white guy. Full of stereotypes.

And "Kung Fu" was the brainchild of Bruce Lee, but unfortunately Asians were not marketable for lead roles in the US. At least Carradine's eyes were not taped back for effect.

Is Jackie any relation to Charlie? :smoker:

Earl Derr Biggers actually created the character based in part on an actual Hawaiian policeman. Full of stereotypes for sure. And it didn't stop with Asians. Remember his sidekick Birmingham Brown? Funny as hell, but probably wouldn't pass the PC smell test today.

I did use to love watching those old Chan movies along with Basil Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes on Sunday afternoons when I was a kid. :D

Earl Derr Biggers actually created the character based in part on an actual Hawaiian policeman. Full of stereotypes for sure. And it didn't stop with Asians. Remember his sidekick Birmingham Brown? Funny as hell, but probably wouldn't pass the PC smell test today.

I did use to love watching those old Chan movies along with Basil Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes on Sunday afternoons when I was a kid. ;)

Don't forget Shirley Temple. :D

I did use to love watching those old Chan movies along with Basil Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes on Sunday afternoons when I was a kid. ;)

And Mickey Rooney as Andy Hardy.

Tarzan too.

Tarzan too.

and his mate

Is Jackie any relation to Charlie? :ph34r:

I did use to love watching those old Chan movies along with Basil Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes on Sunday afternoons when I was a kid. :huh:

Tarzan too.

and his mate

The girl or the ape? :lol:

I used to like a lot of old movies that just played on the TV during the day when young. Yep some of those CHarlie Chan ones were interesting. Ch11 down here changed them out with Tarzan all the time.

My ex unfortunatly ruined this for me. TCM was just about all that was on. She watched old movies over and over and over again. She watched all that history stuff about every actor and actress there is. Heck all the stories were the same. They get successful and have all these love hurts in their life, then their mother dies and it is OH so tragic, all this stuff. It was like a rerun no matter which person they discussed.

I can't hardly watch old movies anymore. <_<

Oh yeah, the Tarzan movies were sometimes un-edited for content. So us boys just waited for the swim scenes. Looking good :rolleyes:

Edited by SheLikesME? (see edit history)