The Great Smog of Guangzhou...

http://jjulian.org/page3/page28/page5/files/page5-1022-full.jpg

Chongqing is also terrible. A 1995 study by Harvard's School of Public Health revealed a statistically significant increase in mortality on smoggy days. I can only imagine that this has increased dramatically over the years.

I really try to avoid travel to Chongqing from about June until September.

I once thought about living in china but after visiting....I don't think I would last 2 years.....it's unbelievable how bad the air is and how people can live in thoughs conditions. :lol:

My first thought when seeing it live was I was in a fog....but then I realized it was pollution. Never seen it that bad before.

the enviromentalist should worry about cleaning China first before the USA

Edited by Nate and Wenju (see edit history)

I once thought about living in china but after visiting....I don't think I would last 2 years.....it's unbelievable how bad the air is and how people can live in thoughs conditions. :huh:

My first thought when seeing it live was I was in a fog....but then I realized it was pollution. Never seen it that bad before.

the enviromentalist should worry about cleaning China first before the USA

I'm shocked by your post Nate... :o Isn't your avatar pic from your vacation on Hainan Island??? Did you happen to breathe while you were there??? :huh:

But seriously China's severely polluted manufacturing cities and the coal mining areas are NOT the whole of China...Hainan and Yunnan have quite clean air... B)

Yes but what the pictures didn't show well was their was a grey, hazy sky most of the time....the sky was never really blue like Hawaii.....and we both really didn't enjoy the vacation for other reasons I won't elaborate on....Guilin was excellen, sky was blue...after one week in Shenzhen, I had a sore throat and constantly running nose....I never had that before....and HK wasn't much better. I guess the air from Guangzhou region drifts towards Shenzhen and HK but the air was never that bad in the pictures so I can only imagine if I was there what I would feel like....even my SO hates the air....and of course everyone smoking (especially in restaurants) doesn't help. :huh: If they cleaned up the air.....I would change my mind....

First, for those of you who have not spent a lot of time in beautiful downtown Guangzhou, please understand, while many days are dark/gray in the city, depending on the time of year, there are also many nice and reasonably sunny days in this large city.

Of interest, when you get out of the city-center and travel a few miles to the north, toward GZ's Huadu District, near the new airport, the weather/air is a lot more clear and the sun shines much more often.

I always feel comfortable and at home in GZ, I guess because I have spent so much time there, and it has been my wife's home since her childhood, and she is so comfortable there ??

Maybe, it is also because I grew up in the L.A. basin and the San Gabriel Valley, in the 1950's when the air was so thick with smog and hydrocarbons, that you could not see the mountains on many days in the summer. :o :huh:

I am a hard-core city boy, who now lives in a Sierra foothill environment.....I like it all !! :huh:

I spent a lot of time in GZ also Rog as my wife lived there although was not from there. I know we will always go to visit her friends there and the city does have much to offer. But on my second visit laopo was trying to convince me to buy a house there and we traveled out to the suburbs to visit some friends who lived in some huge development and that was pretty nice. Then we went to a new development and they took us up to a finished penthouse apartment on the 15th (top) floor. It was gorgeous...done in a Modern but distinctly Chinese style with all top-end finishes. The we walked out on the balcony (porch) and there was the deeply leaden sky and below an incredibly filthy arm of the Pearl River. Guangzhou is very interesting and I enjoy traveling there but I could never live in that soup... :huh:

I spent a lot of time in GZ also Rog as my wife lived there although was not from there. I know we will always go to visit her friends there and the city does have much to offer. But on my second visit laopo was trying to convince me to buy a house there and we traveled out to the suburbs to visit some friends who lived in some huge development and that was pretty nice. Then we went to a new development and they took us up to a finished penthouse apartment on the 15th (top) floor. It was gorgeous...done in a Modern but distinctly Chinese style with all top-end finishes. The we walked out on the balcony (porch) and there was the deeply leaden sky and below an incredibly filthy arm of the Pearl River. Guangzhou is very interesting and I enjoy traveling there but I could never live in that soup... :(

I understand completely !! ;)

I have a feeling though, that once my younger kids are older, she will want to spend more time in her home town, with her friends and family. I have a feeling I will have one foot in CA and one in GZ, later in life !! :rolleyes: :lol:

GUZ looked like that when I went for LC's interview. As we were driving in from the airport I thought "If I live through this I think everything will be all right". Since my wife is from an industrial city in the NE she only thought it was a little bad... :rolleyes:

-James

GUZ looked like that when I went for LC's interview. As we were driving in from the airport I thought "If I live through this I think everything will be all right". Since my wife is from an industrial city in the NE she only thought it was a little bad... :rolleyes:

-James

Actually, it reminded me of a drive on I-10/15, through Fontana and then Norco, on my way to San Diego, last summer !! ;) :ph34r:

:lol: :lol:

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)
Guest Rob & Jin

Give me northen Yunnan and the Rocky mountains any day, nice clean air. :rolleyes:

Not Denver or Kunming though, both live in a orange fog :ph34r:

Give me northen Yunnan and the Rocky mountains any day, nice clean air. :lol:

Not Denver or Kunming though, both live in a orange fog :lol:

I didn't notice any "orange fog" in Kunming...But give me Yuxi, Yunnan...

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1378/china2006128is0.jpg

Note not only the clear Yunnan sky but also the absolutely INSANE morning rush hour traffic... :ph34r: :rolleyes:

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/4003/yuxi18kz7.jpg

Our house front...

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6045/yuxi21jt6.jpg

...and back...