Job Available at GUZ

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/se...rity_office.htm

Tsap ? Maybe if you get this job, your processing will be faster?

It's a shame, really. They are looking for some fairly highly qualified people, but are not willing to pay them what they are worth. I'm pretty sure anyone with the education & experience they require could easily make double - triple this salary elsewhere...

Guest Mike and Lily
http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/se...rity_office.htm

Tsap ? Maybe if you get this job, your processing will be faster?

It's a shame, really. They are looking for some fairly highly qualified people, but are not willing to pay them what they are worth. I'm pretty sure anyone with the education & experience they require could easily make double - triple this salary elsewhere...

Yeah, but you can be a total social misfit, screw up constantly, and as long as you show up for work, you have a job for life!

Read it again. The salary for a US citizen with legal working status is

Not-Ordinarily Residents: FP-5 USD 41, 122 (Starting annual salary, final grade and salary will be determined by Washington)

41K a year in China is a kings ransom.

Not-Ordinarily Residents: FP-5 USD 41, 122 (Starting annual salary, final grade and salary will be determined by Washington)

I did see that, but wasn't really putting it into perspective... that salary for that position is low for USA wages, but you are correct - in China that is a pretty good penny. :)

I did see that, but wasn't really putting it into perspective... that salary for that position is low for USA wages, but you are correct - in China that is a pretty good penny. :)

I'd work for that if I didn't have to live in GUZ. :)

I'd work for that if I didn't have to live in GUZ. :(

Funny, to me that is one of the perks! :D To each his own. :)

What they consider "level 4" Chinese is TOTAL fluency. Think Native speaker with at least a high school education. Comparitively, to be a linguist in the military, only "level 2" (minimal fluency) is required. "level 4+" would be like a native speaker with a graduate degree in the language. Pretty stiff requirement. To be level 4 in English and Mandarin would almost require someone who had grown up in a multinational family, or had spent a great many years fully immersed in and diligently studying their non-native language.

Guest Mike and Lily

What they consider "level 4" Chinese is TOTAL fluency. Think Native speaker with at least a high school education. Comparitively, to be a linguist in the military, only "level 2" (minimal fluency) is required. "level 4+" would be like a native speaker with a graduate degree in the language. Pretty stiff requirement. To be level 4 in English and Mandarin would almost require someone who had grown up in a multinational family, or had spent a great many years fully immersed in and diligently studying their non-native language.

What if one of our spouses decided to become a citizen, then move back to China for a while and work. Could she become a VO or is that a conflict of interest?

Guest Rob & Jin

Got my application in this afternoon, bought a book/CD "learn chinese mandarin in 30 days" figure it will take that long for the interview. :P :D

... and the Chinese requirement is for speaking BOTH Cantonese and Mandarin.