We just got permanent resident card after arrived US over two weeks,but no social security card yet,just wonder is it come after or should with the resident card together? thank you very much!

We just got permanent resident card after arrived US over two weeks,but no social security card yet,just wonder is it come after or should with the resident card together? thank you very much!

I think you have to go to the nearest social security office to apply one on your own! download a form or get one in the office. then you will get it in 2,3 weeks.

thank you very much,but we already applied SS during the process of immigration,hmm?

thank you very much,but we already applied SS during the process of immigration,hmm?

Go to the nearest office and explain. Jings got lost the first time but when we went and told them they gave her the number and the card arrived a week or so later

You can be right all you want, but you won't get the card until someone files the application with the SSA, either you or the USCIS.

We've never heard of anyone getting the USCIS to do it.

hmm,sounds like nobody recieved social security card automatically...I appreiciate all the information you guys offered,and I just checked and found out the application need I-551form ,but I never have it! did it get when you enter the port? thank you for help again!

hehe,just realized my sillyness,theI-551form is just permanent resident card,is it right?

From line 33a of the DS230

Do you want the Social Security Administration to assign you an SSN (and issue a card) or issue you a new card (if you have an SSN)? You must answer "Yes" to this question and to the "Consent To Disclosure" in order

to receive an SSN and/or card. yes no

Hopefully you checked yes to this and 33b

You can be right all you want, but you won't get the card until someone files the application with the SSA, either you or the USCIS.

We've never heard of anyone getting the USCIS to do it.

Yes, Like Randy said:

you won't get the card until someone files the application with the SSA,

I took my wife to the SS office two weeks after she arrived here in the U.S. filled our some papers and received her SS card two week latter.

I agree with the previous posters. We went to the ssa almost as soon as we got here. They said that the people at our poe hadn't had time to input our info so we had to wait two weeks. We went back in two weeks and applied for the card. It came in the mail about a week later. Just go down to the nearest office and they will take care of you. You will even know what the number is going to be after you leave the office.

I agree with the previous posters. We went to the ssa almost as soon as we got here. They said that the people at our poe hadn't had time to input our info so we had to wait two weeks. We went back in two weeks and applied for the card. It came in the mail about a week later. Just go down to the nearest office and they will take care of you. You will even know what the number is going to be after you leave the office.

Depending on your local office - most will want you to come back the next day and wait in line again before giving you the number (the lines are LONG in Houston)

thank you for your guys!just wonder do we need appointment before we go to the local SS office? and by the way,that SS number seems like auto record?

sorry to bother again,just wonder instead going there in person,can we mail the SS-5form instead? because where we live is not close to the office, <_< thank you very much!

The short answer is No. "First-time applicants age 12 or older also must apply in person."

You will find the answer to that and other questions about SS on-line at ssa.gov

Here's a link, and, the answer. http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cf...hp?p_faqid=1412

"Where should I send my completed Application for a Social Security Card? Question- I have completed my Application for a Social Security Card (SS-5). Where do I send the application?

Answer- In most cases, you can mail or take your application and original documents to your local Social Security office. If you live in the New York City metropolitan area, Las Vegas, Orlando or Phoenix you may need to visit your local Social Security Card Center in person. First-time applicants age 12 or older also must apply in person.

People who live or receive mail in Brooklyn, NY, Queens, NY, Las Vegas, NV, Orlando FL, or Phoenix, AZ must apply at one of the following Social Security Card Centers. These offices serve both U.S. citizens and noncitizens applying for new or replacement Social Security cards."

An additional problem, at least for us, is the local office wanted the original birth certificate and g/c so they could make their own copies. They would not accept copies from us.

Edited by yuehan123 (see edit history)