How long it takes to receive SSN and GC?

Guest alex062872

Guest alex062872

My wife came, finally, through LAX on July 30, 2003. took 3 hours at POE.

We went to local SSA office on 8/1/2003 and made sure that her name was in the system. (We live in Los Angeles, California)

Anyone know how long it takes for her to get her SSN and Green Card?

Thanks.

My wife entered on an IR-1, also through LAX on June 23rd.  She received her SSN and her green card on the same day, exactly two weeks after she entered.

But your wife is a CR category Owen... K's don't work that way...

btw, 3 hrs at POE seems a loooong time to me.....

ooops.. Never mind about the above.. didn't realize alex was CR too...

( although topic says IR ) Better get back to my pina colada then.. :blink:

I start mixing IV classes.....

My wife entered on an IR-1, also through LAX on June 23rd.  She received her SSN and her green card on the same day, exactly two weeks after she entered.

But your wife is a CR category Owen... K's don't work that way...

btw, 3 hrs at POE seems a loooong time to me.....

ooops.. Never mind about the above.. didn't realize alex was CR too...

( although topic says IR ) Better get back to my pina colada then.. :(

I start mixing IV classes.....

????????????? :(

Pina colada....mixing IV????????

Eric, I'm getting worried about you. :( :o :(

I've been worried about him for a long time Don. :D :lol: :P

Guest bbridges51

The great delays many of us experienced was that BCIS took sooo long to enter names into the system. If the SS administration sees her, you should have the card shortly. i'd guess 10 days.

Brian

The great delays many of us experienced was that BCIS took sooo long to enter names into the system. If the SS administration sees her, you should have the card shortly. i'd guess 10 days.

Brian

This was the cause of our delay. It took them almost three months to get her entered into the system. :lol:

As to LAX, when we went through in March it only took us about 10 minutes at immigration and another 20 minutes at customs. I guess it depends on how busy they are with incoming flights. We arrived around five in the afternoon LA time.

Guest alex062872

Right, 3+ hours in LAX. It really depends, my wife said there was a short line just no officers working at that time. By the way, we were IR-1 category.

Anyone knows what documents California DMV required for paper test? We am trying to get the dirving permit first, however, we don't have SSN yet.

Guest alex062872

the following is the email I received and the respond I replied. Hopefully this will help.

> hi, thanks for replying to my post about cr-1

> visa's. can you share you experience when arriving

> at airport. for the first time with the visa packet

> in hand. like when you saw the first customs

> officer, did they take you to a secondary area to

> fill out more forms? and if so how long did it all

> take?also is it possible to do a name change right

> then and there ?thanks agian

hi,

1. The custom office will direct you to another line(area) if you have the CR type of visa for further processing. No extra forms needed.

2. INS will check your CR documents in the package against their computer record.

3. They will stamp your passport and write an A number (green card number) on your passport between stamps.

4. The stamp is your temp "Green Card"(good for one year) until you receive the real one.

5. I don't know the name change. However, I don't recommand that. Name change will further confuse the INS and SSA system and may cause you more trouble later on.

6. If you changed the address, POE officer will give you and INS an notice with the correct address on it. However, we all know it takes a long while, probably more than 6 months for INS to do anything. Not recommanded to change address unless it is necessary.

7. POE in LAX took us 3+ hours, becasue no INS officers processed their paper and just let them wait there. Regularly, we will assume the process will be done in less than 60 minutes.

8. Good Luck.