hi all,

my fiance is about 2 weeks away from her interview for k-1 visa. and now i am confused ?? i have recently seen people where issued there visas the same day after passing the interview and others getting a white slip saying to wait??? has anyone gotten there visa recently following there interview? how long is the wait with a white slip?

thanx :rolleyes:

The white slip was the old procedure back when no visas were being issued. The waits varied, but typically were about 5-6 months. Some people waited even longer.

The new procedure is that visas are normally issued the afternoon of the interview or the next morning. Don't make any serious commitments, like non-refundable tickets, that cannot be changed easily though based on that. Sometimes GZ will require some further information and that can cause delays. There have even been delays of several days due to things like the printer breaking down. You just don't know for sure until the day of the interview.

snip/  There have even been delays of several days due to things like the printer breaking down.  You just don't know for sure until the day of the interview.

Or visa machine breaking down... :angry: ;) remember back in August 02 ?

The guy had forgotten to reorder at www.officedepot.cn ! and there went the blue slip ( back then ) :lol:

Indeed I do remember. Seems like they tried to keep that one alive for three or four weeks.

BTW, I talked to someone at DOS today who wanted to know candle's URL.

Yes... the broken visa machine.. The first words in my mind on 8/1/02 when she came out the interview were WTF ?? :blink: ,, immediately followed by " Something is rotten in Denmark" :lol:

we know better now, don't we kids ?

BTW, I talked to someone at DOS today who wanted to know candle's URL.

My... he/she is either taking names or we are ACTUALLY posting things that make sense ! :blink:

See if you can have State sponsor CDL.... :D .. with pop up slogan like...

"Are we confusing you??? Nooo problem !!! Log on to www.candleforlove.com and see the light ! .... Nice folks... Good tips...."

That kinda thing..

:lol:

I was not aware that GZ was issuing white slips again. This practice started late last July and continued until earlier this year. We had our interview August 20th, 2002 and got the white slip. We received the visa on March 10, 2003. Almost seven months. I hope they are not issuing white slips again. :(

Actually, there are 3 different "white slips".

1. this one is about letter size and in the format of a letter. It has been given out after an interview, stating the visa has been approved, but more work needs to be done on the case, such as a clearance check. I have also seen it used at other points in the visa application approval process.

2. then there is a "white slip" about 7"x4" which is used in the overcome process, when an applicant has been refused and hands in additional evidence, to tell the applicant to return and get the decision on the overcome submittal.

3. finally there is a "white slip" that is smaller than #2 that tells a person when to pick up the visa itself. A word of caution here, sometimes even if you are given this white slip and you show up to get your visa, the IV unit can and does say sorry, we need more time to work on the case. Sometimes only heaven knows why. Recently, the IV unit would then give you the #1 "white slip".

I hope this helps a little.

i wonder why further work needs to be done in the 1st white slip case you are talking about? I mean we all know for k1 applicants, namecheck is done before the interview. Does it happen in special case? or indeed GZ has started a new procedure? Thanks.

It was this first type of white slip that many people received last summer and fall. This was the "Black Hole Gang". The reason for this mess was that the namecheck procedure changed around July 22, 2002 and GZ was not up to speed on the new process. So, as a result, many folks had to have additional security clearances after the interview. This included K1 visas as well (we were K1). My understanding of the process is that now these new clearances are done prior to the interview, just like in the days before the Black Hole. That is why I was surprised to hear that white slips are being issued again. I wouldn't panic about this yet as it has not been confirmed that it is actually happening or, if it is happening, what the reasons are.

ok, just got off the phone with gz and they claim to not have changed there procedure, a k-1 visa will be issued after passing the interview. we where also told each case is based on an individual basis so it is possible for an isolated petition to not be given the visa the same day and given a white slip delaying the actual visa. :angry: