Fingerprinted

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As LeeFisher3 said after a few false starts she might and I repeat might listen to you. She will hear things from people who are 1- illegal, 2- another visa classification or 3 don't know what the heck they are talking about. Stand firm. By the way it doesn't hurt to add some time on to things and when they happen faster you will look good ;)

You are correct,it never expires,but this one is stamped in red ink

"NOT FOR EMPLOYMENT"

The reason she got the card was for employment purposes,because the Mexicans told her to.

If it really says "NOT FOR EMPLOYMENT", she should have had to document a need for the card - such as a government agency requirement. If she had taken her K-1 documentation, including the passport with I-94 within the 74 days, she should have been able get the "WITHOUT DHS AUTHORIZATION" notation, which IS good as an SS for work (but still requires separate authorization)

1) She did not "document a need" for the SS Card.

2)Yes to everything else,but she still cant get a "normal" job,so she's kickin it with the Mexicans,picking up the short change from the bus boys.

1) She did not "document a need" for the SS Card.

2)Yes to everything else,but she still cant get a "normal" job,so she's kickin it with the Mexicans,picking up the short change from the bus boys.

1) Then her card should say "Valid for Work Only with DHS Authorization" or something to that effect

2) DHS Authorization comes with the EAD card.

Against my instruction,she complicated things.

As soon as she got here and began taking advise from other "foreigners",she took her I94 ENTRY CARD/K1 Visa to the SS Office AND Florida Drivers License/ID Card office,to get a simple ID Card.

She got:

1 Florida ID Card

1 Social Security Card

BOTH of these cards EXPIRED soon after she received them (because the I94 Entry Card expired) and were worthless.

Her intention to use them for employment,because the Mexicans at school told her to.

The SS card NEVER expires. We advise ALL K-1's to get the SS card within 74 days of arrival.

I've never seen a date on one.

That card should be perfectly good.

You are correct,it never expires,but this one is stamped in red ink

"NOT FOR EMPLOYMENT"

The reason she got the card was for employment purposes,because the Mexicans told her to.

She did EXACTLY what we did when my wife arrived, got an SSN and State ID as do most of the K-1's on this site.

Life is much easier with an SSN and yes there are those out there who will employ her with what she has.

I think your wife is a bit unhappy with you for not knowing how the game is played in your own country and that is not the fault of the Mexicans. It's your country and she is expecting you to take the lead and help her out in these things.

I think everything is going on time.

We had only one "Overcome" appointment in GZ,to correct some documents,and I think that cost about 6 weeks.

We arrived in America during the Thanksgiving/X-Mas/New Year holidays,so we wasted a couple of months before actually getting married.

When I explain to her the game rules,she refuses to listen and presses forward on her own.

(Trying to explain to her that she must get a drivers license BEFORE she can get a drivers license!

You know,she has to take the test to get the "learner's permit",then she can go to driving school,then she can get the real driver's license :blink: )

She has not used the SS# for anything,but we do write it in on all of her applications.

From the Social Security Card Application:

If you check "Legal Alien Not Allowed to Work," you must provide a document from a U.S.

Federal, State, or local government agency that explains why you need a Social Security number

and that you meet all of the requirements for the U.S. government benefit. NOTE: Not all U.S.

State or local benefits are acceptable for non-work SSN purposes. Contact SSA to see if your

reason qualifies.

If you check "Other," you must provide a document from the U.S. government agency that

explains why you need a Social Security number and that you meet all of the requirements for a

Federal benefit except for the number.

From the Social Security Card Application:

If you check "Legal Alien Not Allowed to Work," you must provide a document from a U.S.

Federal, State, or local government agency that explains why you need a Social Security number

and that you meet all of the requirements for the U.S. government benefit. NOTE: Not all U.S.

State or local benefits are acceptable for non-work SSN purposes. Contact SSA to see if your

reason qualifies.

If you check "Other," you must provide a document from the U.S. government agency that

explains why you need a Social Security number and that you meet all of the requirements for a

Federal benefit except for the number.

She went in there herself and filled it out.

For all I know she could have checked the "Natural Born Citizen" box!

This one has a mind of her own.

Threadbare,

Perhaps you may be as lucky as us.

Biometrics Appt......March 25, 2008

EAD Card Arrives....April 3, 2008

Total days waiting for card after appointment....8

Clayton

Did they send it to you,or do you have to go there and pick it up in person?

Threadbare,

Arrived via USPS.

I noted other members timelines, after I replied to your post and found several that received their EAD card within 8-10 days of their biometrics appointment.

There is hope!

Clayton

If you told her 'You are using wrong technique, you are losing face, I am losing face, please stop using wrong technique' - would it make any difference ?

If you told her 'You are using wrong technique, you are losing face, I am losing face, please stop using wrong technique' - would it make any difference ?

I have explained to my wife and daughter that America is very rule oriented place. Rules are made and followed, we must do things in a orderly fashion. Most Americans, at least midwesterns, will stand in line and wait till their turn. I really wanted to stress that we must do things in a certain order. Doing it chinese way will not work in US. Now you can always hear exceptions to the rule, but in the US most people wait their turn.

quote-threadbare- ...As soon as she got here and began taking advise from other "foreigners"... -quote

In some other threads this is referred to as the 'somebody said' effect. You will never win against the all knowing 'somebody'.

It's simple really. The 'somebody' advice is what the SO wants to hear. That's what they look for. The SO will usually filter out whatever information doesn't suit them (this is usually whatever 'we' tell them) and they will latch fiercely onto that advice which does does suit them (even if it's wrong). Human nature, right?

Nothing.

(You cant tell people they are losing face,because then they will lose face again and it just keeps going round like that.)

Im not joking,Im getting blamed every time a mosquito bites her.

She's going to call the police and tell them "mosquitos are biting me,arrest my husband".

Soon Im moving in to the shed,hang out in there with my AM radio and Kee Lawnmower,feed peanuts to the squirrels.

I have explained to my wife and daughter that America is very rule oriented place. Rules are made and followed, we must do things in a orderly fashion. Most Americans, at least midwesterns, will stand in line and wait till their turn. I really wanted to stress that we must do things in a certain order. Doing it chinese way will not work in US. Now you can always hear exceptions to the rule, but in the US most people wait their turn.

She's never had that kind of problem in public.

She is an exceptionally polite person,in public situations,but has certain Napolionic qualities at other times.

I MARRIED YOSIMITE SAM!!!!!!!

She is from a small town,so was just as shocked as any foreign tourist at the pushing and shoving on Beijing Bus,or cutting in front of you in "line" at the bank(a "line" in China :smartass: ,Actually in ChengDu they have lines painted on the sidewalk and some places the people actually line up,and if the bus is full they wait in line for the next bus.)She is like many new Chinese wife in America,taking visa/green card information from every Asian/Mexican she bumps in to at the flea market.