China Demands Apology

Agreed. They showed lack of understanding and painted China as the pseudo-enemy the media seems dead set to portray them as, it implied all of China's exports to the USA were all "crap", and other unfair exaggerations... but there was NOTHING racist in his remarks.

I swear people almost WANT to feel discriminated against. I've noticed people who now that they have Chinese wives and in-laws now have become super-sensitive to any implied discrimination, almost as if after decades of being "the man" they are tickeled pink to be a minority by proxy so they can start complaining about the man getting down on them.

Branding his comments as racist, and reacting with irrational anger detract from the real issue, as Dave said. They also prevent any real understanding because both sides just get mad.

The truth is, SOME of the stuff imported from China IS crap. QUITE A FEW of the leaders, police, and elites in China ARE goons and thugs. But that isn't the whole truth, nor does it look at the underlying reasons, and by making such a broad statement it does nothing but make people angry and polarized.

China deserves more respect than a statement like that delivers. But I think we can all agree, unless we live in happy fantasy land with the gumdrop leprechauns, that China does have major issues that need to be adressed. Not so much in China's relationship with the US, but in how they treat their own people (and I'm NOT talking about Tibet). A statement like that just makes misunderstanding among Americans, and makes the Chinese angry so they are actually less likely to pay attention to their own issues because he has taken the role of a "foreign threat".

It's like how you can say bad things about a family member, but if someone else does you want to kick their ass. Someone looking down on your family makes you angry at them, and think about how much you love your family and forget about the things about it that you yourself don't like, and rush to defend your family - even if there is some truth to what they said, even if you may have said it to yourself before.

So yeah, that guy was being an idiot and was catering to anti-China sentiment and fear of China as a superpower. But he wasn't being a racist. And while we are puffing up with righteous anger at his statements... let's also not forget the nugget of truth that they contain in the process. In the relationship between China and the USA we BOTH need to develop a lot of MUTUAL understanding.

Now THAT'S the post I wish I would've written. Bravo Jason!

What's with us agreeing so much lately? :roller: haha

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe someday there will be an open press and news in China and all will have access to being able to freely report the truth without being shut down.

Now hold on just a minute,

Somebody's got to keep a thumb on them,(like I do my wife :) ).If you dont they will get out of control.

You ever see them all going for the bus door at the same time?

I dont think they really care what anybody says about them.

They dont care at all.

They just remind me of watching The 700 Club or Pat Robertson or some such other creepy TV preachers.

I love it when they have the whole government on TV sitting there rowed up in tables,each one with exactly the same bottle of water to his left,but you never see anyone drinking from those bottles.

They probably use the same bottles of water at next years meeting.

Of course any leaders will issue a statment objecting to one thing or another,just to let their people know "we've got your back",but really do you think they care what anybody says about them?

Obviously someone cares:

Since Legal Immigrant Association created the petition on April 10, the total signatures have exceeded 100,000 within one week. The petition has raised awareness of Jack Cafferty's rasict remarks, encouraged many in the Chinese community to speak up, and forced CNN to respond. LIA urges CNN to give a sincere and earnest apology to all the people who feel hurt by Cafferty's insult, and take it as a lesson to avoid racist bashing in the future. We want to thank all of you for your support! Please visit us at http://www.legalimmigrant.org and continue to support us. - LIA, 04/17/2008

Forgive my spelling "cremudgeon"?

Jack Cafferty is a kind of "cremudgeon" complainer,thats his style.

He offends me even when I agree with him.

I came home in October and naturally I watched loads of TV,because I was away in China.

I turned OFF that TV about 2 months ago and I dont miss it one bit.

I even quit watching C-SPAN Washington Journal.

I confess now I listed to FM "morning drive" and AM radio,and its enough to hear ALL the B.S. thats going on.

If I just went on living my natural unnatural life and never saw "Caferty" again as long as I lived,I cant say he would ever cross my mind one time.

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!!!

EVERYTHING coming out of that TV!

Can you imagine,getting 100,000 people SO PISSED OFF at you they signed a petition?

We will never see "Caferty" again on TV?

With him gone we can all get back on track again thank god.

Some drugged out white guy snatched my 70 year old mother's purse from her,knocking her down,right in the middled of the day inside Publix (Publix-Florida Supermarket).

They caught that guy outside and arrested him.

Now this kind of thing plays it self out hundreds of times every day among us ordinary people,and that disturbs me.

Maybe someday there will be an open press and news in China and all will have access to being able to freely report the truth without being shut down.

Now hold on just a minute,

Somebody's got to keep a thumb on them,(like I do my wife :) ).If you dont they will get out of control.

You ever see them all going for the bus door at the same time?

I dont think they really care what anybody says about them.

They dont care at all.

They just remind me of watching The 700 Club or Pat Robertson or some such other creepy TV preachers.

I love it when they have the whole government on TV sitting there rowed up in tables,each one with exactly the same bottle of water to his left,but you never see anyone drinking from those bottles.

They probably use the same bottles of water at next years meeting.

Of course any leaders will issue a statment objecting to one thing or another,just to let their people know "we've got your back",but really do you think they care what anybody says about them?

Obviously someone cares:

Since Legal Immigrant Association created the petition on April 10, the total signatures have exceeded 100,000 within one week. The petition has raised awareness of Jack Cafferty's rasict remarks, encouraged many in the Chinese community to speak up, and forced CNN to respond. LIA urges CNN to give a sincere and earnest apology to all the people who feel hurt by Cafferty's insult, and take it as a lesson to avoid racist bashing in the future. We want to thank all of you for your support! Please visit us at http://www.legalimmigrant.org and continue to support us. - LIA, 04/17/2008

Cafferty's comments may have been a lot of things, but racist ain't one of 'em. :)

That kind of rhetoric only serves to detract from what may be legitimate complaints IMHO.

Agreed. They showed lack of understanding and painted China as the pseudo-enemy the media seems dead set to portray them as, it implied all of China's exports to the USA were all "crap", and other unfair exaggerations... but there was NOTHING racist in his remarks.

I swear people almost WANT to feel discriminated against. I've noticed people who now that they have Chinese wives and in-laws now have become super-sensitive to any implied discrimination, almost as if after decades of being "the man" they are tickeled pink to be a minority by proxy so they can start complaining about the man getting down on them.

Branding his comments as racist, and reacting with irrational anger detract from the real issue, as Dave said. They also prevent any real understanding because both sides just get mad.

The truth is, SOME of the stuff imported from China IS crap. QUITE A FEW of the leaders, police, and elites in China ARE goons and thugs. But that isn't the whole truth, nor does it look at the underlying reasons, and by making such a broad statement it does nothing but make people angry and polarized.

China deserves more respect than a statement like that delivers. But I think we can all agree, unless we live in happy fantasy land with the gumdrop leprechauns, that China does have major issues that need to be adressed. Not so much in China's relationship with the US, but in how they treat their own people (and I'm NOT talking about Tibet). A statement like that just makes misunderstanding among Americans, and makes the Chinese angry so they are actually less likely to pay attention to their own issues because he has taken the role of a "foreign threat".

It's like how you can say bad things about a family member, but if someone else does you want to kick their ass. Someone looking down on your family makes you angry at them, and think about how much you love your family and forget about the things about it that you yourself don't like, and rush to defend your family - even if there is some truth to what they said, even if you may have said it to yourself before.

So yeah, that guy was being an idiot and was catering to anti-China sentiment and fear of China as a superpower. But he wasn't being a racist. And while we are puffing up with righteous anger at his statements... let's also not forget the nugget of truth that they contain in the process. In the relationship between China and the USA we BOTH need to develop a lot of MUTUAL understanding.

Anything on TV is garbage.

My wife had no idea what America was like until she got here (and she arrived in South Carolina during Bike Week!Yikes),so unless you see something for yourself you dont know.

I look at it like this.

If we "should" hate someone,we should hate them for the bad things they really do,not what the TV tells us.

The truth may in fact be MORE HORRIBLE than what they are telling you on TV.

Its all about TV.

Now in my newspaper two or three times a week,there are full page stories about China and The People.There were NEVER stories like these just a couple of years ago.

Then it was "Super Size Me",and bashing hamburgers was popular.

A few years before that you could hardly leave your house without having the popularity of dinosaurs practically shoved down your neck.

Now its China.China is popular.

But maybe the American people ought not fixate so much on China right now.

Of course,theres no escape for us,because we are all "half Chinese" now.

CNN and BBC have the most distorted ways of thinking. Their vision is completely wrong and harmful to the puplic. This is why I only watch FOX News and CCTV9.

You've officially been brainwashed. :)

Brainwashed?? Do you actually believe all that libral propaganda that CNN and BBC say? Their biased views on China make me sick. My 12 year son could do better reporting than those two so called News Organizations.

CNN and BBC have the most distorted ways of thinking. Their vision is completely wrong and harmful to the puplic. This is why I only watch FOX News and CCTV9.

You've officially been brainwashed. :(

Brainwashed?? Do you actually believe all that libral propaganda that CNN and BBC say? Their biased views on China make me sick. My 12 year son could do better reporting than those two so called News Organizations.

If you think Republican mouthpiece Fox and Chinese government mouthpiece CCTV9 are unbiased, then you've had SOMETHING done to your brain. Maybe washed IS the wrong word.

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

Oh yeah, I forgot, Jack Cafferty should be shot! CNN should be removed from Television and all will be a lot better.

Which country are you the dictator of again?

Would you like to come to my country?

Let's see. Uganda? North Korea? Venezuela? Those being the most likely candidates the answer would be no thanks. :(

Oh yeah, I forgot, Jack Cafferty should be shot! CNN should be removed from Television and all will be a lot better.

Let's see. Uganda? North Korea? Venezuela? Those being the most likely candidates the answer would be no thanks. :(

How about the State of Illinois?

You've officially been brainwashed. :(

If you think Republican mouthpiece Fox and Chinese government mouthpiece CCTV9 are unbiased, then you've had SOMETHING done to your brain. Maybe washed IS the wrong word.

Thank god for the Republicans!!! Speaking of brainwashed or as you said, SOMETHING done to my brain, keep watching CNN and we will all be visiting you at the asylum!

How about the State of Illinois?

Meaning you live here? I live here? Or are you asking if we shoot TV commentators or take TV networks off the air who's opinions we disagree with?

The answer would be no. ;)