Badminton

I know many people are concerned about there SO adjusting and meeting friends once they get here. Mine played badminton for exercise and fun in China. The times I visited China I never went to her club and watched . I saw people playing in the park . So before she arrived here I bought a badminton set thinking we could play in the backyard. I was WRONG. Not knowing much about the sport. I talk to some friends and found some places to play. The first night we went Lan and her son got there badminton bag together. When we walk in I quickly realized in real badminton there was No beer. :( I didn’t know what a sport it truly was. Needless to say I had a big learning curve ahead . And have been sore for months. Her 16yo son is good. But in Arizona its only a girls sport in high school . I took him to meet the coach at school . She was hesitant but after she saw him hit the birdies a couple of times that changed. Now he is the manager. I think this helped him meet friends and practice English. After playing a couple times a week I have beat my wife once in singles. When playing doubles I get a lot of practice since I’m the weak link on the team and most shots are aimed at me.( wife aims at my head when she is on the other team) But it gets us out of the house and she has meet many friends there. After 8 months of practice Ill never get to play with the big boys but I really don’t want too since they hit hard

Edited by zmwoody (see edit history)

So, this thread has peaked my interest in Badminton

I checked out Google for some badminton vids, and saw this one:

Looks pretty entertaining. I could watch that!

But it still looks like someone had too much space to waste on a pingpong table, but not enough for a tennis court.

Guest Tony n Terrific

This morning I walked my SO to her work place and we saw 4 people playing Badminton in a park with no net at 7:15 AM. I can remember Badminton was very popular here in the USA back in the 60s.