Blogging from Baoding

I was hoping someone would diagnose something different than the obvious from one of the doctor visits.

me too.. but one often gets the typical; 'liver or kidney' is weak... that's most men in the world ;) I'll go back to get a back xray in a few weeks to see if my back condition has changed from 2 years ago. All I can say is that the persistent stretching has reduced my pain considerably; I'm sure the yoga helps but there are some movements which don't, so I'll have to continue some of what works best on my own.

The meridian reading, is it like pulse reading most clinics do? I'd be interested in studying that too. If you stay in SoCal again maybe she could teach me.
It's just point massge; knowing the correct points. She has always been more interested in this than say the swedish approach. When she came to the US and did massage, she had to completely change her approach at first since few want (or even understand) point massage in the US... then as you know she slowly mixed the two methods to a style her own with a little Thai.

But she never tires of learning the meridians and points and how one can "treat" the body this way. Because of her attention to detail in this, she was eager to take this current class on how to teach it to others. I suspect she regrets not taking the teaching class she was offered while in MP last year. Maybe that will give us an excuse to visit MP again.

this time she can pay for the trip working at my clinic ;)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did meet up with Oscar for a few days, along with WH (I'll abbreviate her name) and daughter XX...
Much thanks to David and Zixuan for their caring assistance with us. They went above and beyond the call for some folks they barely knew. They were great hosts in Baoding, scouting out and booking our hotel plus showing us around their city when we were there. Zixuan is a fine lady. Mellow and intelligent, and very complex. I think David and I meshed very well. We laughed a lot and coincided in our observations. WH and XX liked them both and we will see them more in the future. It was a nice week of visiting to finish our outing in China.

http://weihuawallace.com/images/EngagementDayPrint2.jpg

I did meet up with Oscar for a few days, along with WH (I'll abbreviate her name) and daughter XX...
Much thanks to David and Zixuan for their caring assistance with us. They went above and beyond the call for some folks they barely knew. They were great hosts in Baoding, scouting out and booking our hotel plus showing us around their city when we were there. Zixuan is a fine lady. Mellow and intelligent, and very complex. I think David and I meshed very well. We laughed a lot and coincided in our observations. WH and XX liked them both and we will see them more in the future. It was a nice week of visiting to finish our outing in China.

http://weihuawallace.com/images/EngagementDayPrint2.jpg

It's hard to read but it looks like the pic says "Engaged April 12,2008"? Congrats on that. You two make a handsome couple. B)

May 13

This one's really for Dennis...

Today I was invited to eat dinner with someone and I said I could only eat lunch; that was at the moment of being ready to eat lunch myself and so a call went to the person if we could eat lunch and of course we could.. we got there and of course he wasn't there since he had to go out to buy food for the lunch!

But I had played about 3 hours of pool at the gym and was starving and was given a bottle of beer and some rabbit rib to tie me over... that was easy to finish off. I was told during the course of the meal that the host desired me to eat, take a rest and then drink some more with him; I was already light headed since I had not eaten all day till that point, 4:00pm and declined saying I had something to do. He took that as meaning that we should just drink now! So he pulls out a hugh jug of Er Guo Tou... It's been along time since I tasted this stuff, which is produced in BJ. The local stuff I usually drink is Baoding Wang. I will say that EGT tasted so much like rubbing alcohol that at least I'm glad that I've drinken enough BW that the EGT didn't affect me too much... well, my head was floating but we stopped after one tall glass of it.

I was offered a bed to rest in but I usually don't like to eat/drink and sleep; it's uncomfortable on my stomach and frankly if I'm that gone, laying down will cause the spin's anyway... I told them I was going back to the gym for a workout; that sobers one up fairly well... Anyway, I'll take BW over EGT anyday and hope to share that with Dennis some day.

May 13

This one's really for Dennis...

Today I was invited to eat dinner with someone and I said I could only eat lunch; that was at the moment of being ready to eat lunch myself and so a call went to the person if we could eat lunch and of course we could.. we got there and of course he wasn't there since he had to go out to buy food for the lunch!

But I had played about 3 hours of pool at the gym and was starving and was given a bottle of beer and some rabbit rib to tie me over... that was easy to finish off. I was told during the course of the meal that the host desired me to eat, take a rest and then drink some more with him; I was already light headed since I had not eaten all day till that point, 4:00pm and declined saying I had something to do. He took that as meaning that we should just drink now! So he pulls out a hugh jug of Er Guo Tou... It's been along time since I tasted this stuff, which is produced in BJ. The local stuff I usually drink is Baoding Wang. I will say that EGT tasted so much like rubbing alcohol that at least I'm glad that I've drinken enough BW that the EGT didn't affect me too much... well, my head was floating but we stopped after one tall glass of it.

I was offered a bed to rest in but I usually don't like to eat/drink and sleep; it's uncomfortable on my stomach and frankly if I'm that gone, laying down will cause the spin's anyway... I told them I was going back to the gym for a workout; that sobers one up fairly well... Anyway, I'll take BW over EGT anyday and hope to share that with Dennis some day.

It sounds like you really need to talk her into more classes at MP. You guys need a cabin trip :rolleyes:

May 13

ll... Anyway, I'll take BW over EGT anyday and hope to share that with Dennis some day.

It sounds like you really need to talk her into more classes at MP. You guys need a cabin trip :rolleyes:

We all should take that trip someday, Dan.

For those who've never tried EGT (David introduced me to it. :angry: ), it's made from sweet Sorghum and is 110 Proof or 55% alcohol. It truly is the poor man's spirit of China. I will just stick to Maotai. :D

May 19

8.0 and aftershocks continue to cause problems

China revised the earthquake as 8.0. Close to 150 aftershocks reported, some between 5.0-6.0; even today with some deaths and injuries resulting.

21 post-initial-earthquake landslides have occurred; 200 relief workers were buried by a mudslide. The aftershocks, dams, and river blockages are causing some problem.

Hu Jintao was shown again with wailing mothers, holding their hands; hugging a boy to give him courage; kissing a small child rescued; exhorting all to be strong and for the relief workers to press on and work harder.

A few nations have sent relief/rescue workers who are working in any area possible; money and materials are pouring in from around the world.

3 minutes of mourning

The big new today was of course the "moment of silence", or the "3 minutes of mourning" which starts today for three days, about 2:30pm.

It was on the TV and showed BJ flags at half-mast, and shots around china of people gathered in silence. In this town of Baoding the sirens sounded and cars honked.

As well, the olympic torch relay is suspended during this time.

I saw that the websites for QQ and Yahoo!China had their websites in Black and White during this time to reflect the mourning.

Some stats being posted:

- About 35,000 confirmed dead

- 220,000 injured

- About 150 aftershocks

- 21 landslides have occurred

- 3 giant pandas missing from

- 113,000 troops deployed

- Central government alloted 5.8 billion yuan

- International help has come in at over 10 billion yuan (cash and goods)

- No disease breakouts reported

- All nuclear facilities [in these areas] secured

May 21

Yesterday I was invited to go to a Vocational school and talk to the english teachers and then just chat with a class. The students age range is 17-20. Most will go on to work and some will continue at a university.

The teachers english was generally good but the accents are very noticeable. The class I talked to had 37 girls and 3 boys; They did a very short "Snow White" play scene for me. They asked alot of questions about music and movies I liked, my hobbies, did I like Baoding, what cities have I seen in china, etc.

While the students could ask questions clearly they did have to endure hearing me speak english with probably alot of words or phrases they didn't know, however I tried to keep to very simple sentences except for the two tongue twisters I showed them. Hopefully I'll get to go back again.

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

May 21

Yesterday I was invited to go to a Vocational school and talk to the english teachers and then just chat with a class. The students age range is 17-20. Most will go on to work and some will continue at a university.

The teachers english was generally good but the accents are very noticeable. The class I talked to had 37 girls and 3 boys; They did a very short "Snow White" play scene for me. They asked alot of questions about music and movies I liked, my hobbies, did I like Baoding, what cities have I seen in china, etc.

While the students could ask questions clearly they did have to endure hearing me speak english with probably alot of words or phrases they didn't know, however I tried to keep to very simple sentences except for the two tongue twisters I showed them. Hopefully I'll get to go back again.

Gee David, now you're living my life. ;)

I really look forward to your blogs. Yesterday's post on mourning was very touching.

How long much longer are you two going to stay?

May 21

Gee David, now you're living my life. :toot:

I really look forward to your blogs. Yesterday's post on mourning was very touching.

How long much longer are you two going to stay?

We return June 4.

May 21

While the students could ask questions clearly they did have to endure hearing me speak english with probably alot of words or phrases they didn't know, however I tried to keep to very simple sentences except for the two tongue twisters I showed them.

Now that does not surprise me in the least! :toot: :toot:

May 22

Soccer

Tomorrow I am invited to go train a soccer team for a practice; ages 12-14. The coach is the father of a chinese guy I've been hanging out with. The father was surprised to hear anyone in the US plays soccer; not really sure why they think soccer is so non-popular, unless it's because of our pathetic showing in international games.

What I have found most interesting is that much of the soccer in Baoding is played on concrete; both pickup games and practices. Although there are grass fields. It answered one of my curiousities which was when I went to a [grass field] soccer game about a month ago, I noticed that many of the players played as if playing what we call "indoor soccer" in the US, although nobody quite understood what I mean here by that since they don't seem to play it...

I went to a University where they play pickup everyday around 4:30; at least 6 games are going on and there are usually 8v8. Suddenly I got to see why so many develop an "indoor soccer" style.

And they call it 'football' here...

Professional Drinkers

Another observation about this city is that they have their share of professional drinkers and it turns out I've become one of their buddies since they're asking for me everynight to come out. I was forewarned that one guy can drink 10 bottles himself; that was incorrect; he can easily drink 15 bottles.

Last night after drinking we went to the Baoding Square since we heard that something was going on concerning recognizing the earthquake; we got there a little late as most were done, but they had brought candles, placed them in a circle and stood around them.

So the chinese guy I was with pulled out a cigarette, lit it and laid it on a step pointing towards Sichuan; we did a moment of silence. Being ever practical, he picked up the cigarette and finished it. Then it was decided we should just go drink some more... so we went back and joined some other friends of his at another location.

I did learn one novel trick from him; how to use one bottle [with it's cap on] to open another bottle. In a previous trip to china, I learned how to open a bottle with chopsticks, but this 'cap' trick is more clever (and easier) IMO.

May 25

Soccer

I was able to spend a few hours with a soccer team, ages 10-14. The interesting issue was that some of the best players were the smaller players, plus the goalie had obviously had extensive training as I got to 'test' his form.

The highlight of the practice was actually for me when afterwards they rushed to their backpacks and pulled out markers so I could sign inside their books, and then a second round started to sign their backpacks.

I then went out drinking with the coach who invited a friend and found again what I've long learned; serious athletes sometimes are also serious drinkers. The only different than the west is their are far more athletic types here that appear to want to take a break from soccer to simply smoke a cigarette.

English School

The english vocational school asked me to come back and will do that tomorrow.

Gym

I'm still going to the gym regularly and this is long overdue for me, since I have always been a very active type of person; even starting using gyms when I was 15. I get a chuckle from the staff who like to walk around and fix everyone's form; I've been lifting weights longer than most of them are in age; not everyone really needs to lift for bulk and size.

Consultant, Chinese style

This brought up an observation I had yet to make; the chinese in this city are all expert at consulting on something.. and often on more than one thing. It's not uncommon to see two playing chess and 10 'experts' weighing in on the correct move that should occur. Everyone has an opinion on how to do something. Even when I play pool with guys, they will often say which shoot one should take.

Earthquake

Of course the news and atmosphere concerning the earthquake is still somber here, even though we are quite far from Sichuan province. This has been more openingly reported than most other disasters due to real-time reporting being allowed.

The complications of the dams or rivers being blocked adds to the relief efforts to evacate some areas, plus aftershocks are almost to 170 now. Seeing people just pack up and go 'somewhere' is even difficult to watch. And the challenging is getting them into 'something', which has turned into an urgent push to produce 100,000s of tents on top of the temporary shelters being built as part of resconstruction. In some areas, they are facing resistance by locals to clear out. The other big push is disease control.

Although the US has their 9-11, not sure for how long this 5-12 will be a cloud over the country but certainly to get back to where they were prior to the earthquake will take many, many years. For now, their is alot of focus on psychological help for both the adults and child.