ESL class in NYC?

Anybody know any good ESL classes in NYC? There are so many to choice from and I dont know which ones are good. Any college or private school is fine with me. My fiancee wants to improve her speech. So far she has been taking these free online courses and ebooks but she prefer if there was a teacher/professor helping.

Thanks,

Anybody know any good ESL classes in NYC? There are so many to choice from and I dont know which ones are good. Any college or private school is fine with me. My fiancee wants to improve her speech. So far she has been taking these free online courses and ebooks but she prefer if there was a teacher/professor helping.

Thanks,

[/quoteIn my opinion, those classes don't teach you anything. it's just a waste of time and money. Where are you trying to teach in China?

I came to Shanghai, no problem. Didn't need that ESL. My boss who has been in China for 11 years told me not to ake it. Saved me abotu 500 bucks.

If your really wanting to do it. I was going to take the Oxford one. I don't remember the website, but the classes are held at St. Johns Uni. on Long Island.

My wife found quite a difference in ESL classes.

Her first year, when she didn't have a driver's license, limited our choices and she wound up in an ESL class sponsored by the local public school system. Except for the teacher, she was the only one there that did not have Spanish as a first language. The students were generally not highly motivated. Very few attended class on Mondays or when it rained. She learned, but at a very slow pace.

This year she has her license and a car and therefore a lot of flexibility. She's enrolled in a ESL class in the morning and a conversation class in the afternoon at an extension site of a local community college. The teachers are much more professional than last year. The class is a mix of Taiwanese, Chinese, Iranians, Hispanics, and even a Russian. The common language even during breaks is English. She is learning much more than last year and doesn't have to work at it to stay motivated.

Both classes are free. My point is that there can be very big differences, not necessarily relating to cost. If I were you I'd pick a few in your area, call the sponsoring organization to discuss the content and style of the class, narrow it down to 2-3 and then take the time to go to class and sit in as an observer. It's worth the time and effort, in my opinion.