As I have seen mentioned elsewhere around here, the length of the relationship is not a concern, or at least a major concern, for GUZ. There is a thread where some people here were comparing the shortness of the relationship before filing and I seem to recall that one was under twenty days.

I agree with Smitty. I've seen little or no evidence that a short "courtship" is a problem for GUZ, whether the result was engagement or marriage. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. As Roger said, you sound like you've got a good head on your shoulders. If it feels right to you, go for it. :rolleyes:

wow such honest forthright assesments by all of you, I really do appreciate your advice, and please keep the information flowing. I spoke with the SO today and she said life is to important to make a mistake in such a momentous decision so no timetables, more important to put our relationship in the best possible place for success, so when and if we are ready. we will marry.

Hello Jim, CONGRATULATIONS ! ! !

I am married to a wonderful woman from Liuzhou, also. We were married during my first visit to China, and we applied for a K-3 visa immediately. She got her visa in 8 months and is here with me now!

We had hoped the CR-1/I-130 would continue processing and that it might even catch us at the interview, which happened to others in front of us. But the process was changed and our I-130 was held in the US for future AOS (adjustment of status). We have petitioned (I-824@$200) to have the I-130 sent to the NVC and continue processing, with little success so far, but we are hoping it will be slow enough that we can return to China for CNY 2009 with the added element of receiving a 10 year green card.

I am glad Yizhen is here now, but we need to get EAD if Yizhen wants to work. I think I would choose to wait for the CR-1 if i had to do it again.

Good luck with whichever path you choose, Mike and Yizhen!

PS I am 10 years older, and her son is 22, he will not be able to come to the US soon, but he has a large family that is very close, many aunts, uncles, cousins, grandmother and his father.

Edited by mikepellicore (see edit history)

As I have seen mentioned elsewhere around here, the length of the relationship is not a concern, or at least a major concern, for GUZ. There is a thread where some people here were comparing the shortness of the relationship before filing and I seem to recall that one was under twenty days.

I'm thinking that was for the K1 visa..........

Thanks Corbin, I get these visas mixed up, and don't remember what applies to what. Although I might have to get my ducks in a line soon!

I agree with Smitty. I've seen little or no evidence that a short "courtship" is a problem for GUZ, whether the result was engagement or marriage. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. As Roger said, you sound like you've got a good head on your shoulders. If it feels right to you, go for it. :lol:

Ok, I'll go with this too!

wow such honest forthright assesments by all of you, I really do appreciate your advice, and please keep the information flowing. I spoke with the SO today and she said life is to important to make a mistake in such a momentous decision so no timetables, more important to put our relationship in the best possible place for success, so when and if we are ready. we will marry.

That sounds like the smartest thing to do.

There are numerous threads around here about turning your SO's family around, but most of that information is buried in unrelated threads. I believe that it boils down to showing that you intend to take the best care of the SO that you can. I thought I had tracked a few threads but now they aren't showing up in the thread tracking deal(Oh! Note: Subscriptions are pruned if there is no reply to the topic after 30 days. Well that makes that option worthless :rolleyes: )

I wouldn't have any concerns if I were you, and if you and your sweetheart feel that your love is true. My wife and I went the CR1 route, I went to China and married her the day after I arrived on my first visit when I stayed for a month living with her at her aunt's, after we had been writing for just 6 months. My wife's english was very good from the first, so we had no trouble communicating in english. I continued to visit, each time for a month, for a total of 3 visits for the approximately 1.5 years before her interview. Went over and spent another month, two weeks together getting ready for GZ, a week there for the interview, which was an easy pink slip. Then another week back home in Chengdu celebrating with family and friends, and she came home with me. We've been together in the US for a year and a half. We are both so happy together, it's been perfect with no problems, no great homesickness, though I did encourage her to go home for a month last fall without me and then I joined her for another month. She's gone to school here, but just got a job with United Airlines (wah-the flight benefits are so great!) and we are more in love with each other with each succeeding day. Our age difference is 25 years, and I feel younger and am healthier than I've ever been. I don't see any downsides especially with a CR1, the waiting made us stronger, the commitment we both showed added to our confidence in the marriage, and we hope to have a child together in the next year or so, even with my age. If you love her, and she loves you, it will work out! Best to you and her.

I wouldn't have any concerns if I were you, and if you and your sweetheart feel that your love is true. My wife and I went the CR1 route, I went to China and married her the day after I arrived on my first visit when I stayed for a month living with her at her aunt's, after we had been writing for just 6 months. My wife's english was very good from the first, so we had no trouble communicating in english. I continued to visit, each time for a month, for a total of 3 visits for the approximately 1.5 years before her interview. Went over and spent another month, two weeks together getting ready for GZ, a week there for the interview, which was an easy pink slip. Then another week back home in Chengdu celebrating with family and friends, and she came home with me. We've been together in the US for a year and a half. We are both so happy together, it's been perfect with no problems, no great homesickness, though I did encourage her to go home for a month last fall without me and then I joined her for another month. She's gone to school here, but just got a job with United Airlines (wah-the flight benefits are so great!) and we are more in love with each other with each succeeding day. Our age difference is 25 years, and I feel younger and am healthier than I've ever been. I don't see any downsides especially with a CR1, the waiting made us stronger, the commitment we both showed added to our confidence in the marriage, and we hope to have a child together in the next year or so, even with my age. If you love her, and she loves you, it will work out! Best to you and her.

:roller:

:roller:

I will attempt to change her mind if I am compelled, by my research, to conclude that pursuing a CR1 is foolhardy and change direction to a K1. In my heart, I want to grant her this wish

That is why I appeal to the wise old hands involved in this family of CVPL to point me in the direction of the light.

Since when is a short courtship a red flag? Maybe that's why the main color of the chinese flag is red... they are ready for a relationship so quickly? This is mostly urban legend... MOST filers through china are probably short courtships.

Here is the only concern I have :lol:

If she's ready to marry and you are not, then don't marry and don't file anything, including K1...

I see nothing wrong with her wanting to get married... and it may be that 'face' is not being figured in this at the start (she or family want this) and in the end (loss of face to family if she were to divorce anyway). So... IMO, based on 'face' issues, it doesn't add up as a concern or worry.

Just because says 'family wants this'... I would not necessary take that as 100% only famly... but it could be... it's really hard to know with some chinese who have a tendency to put the reason on someone else for something.

My opinion is.. if she is the right girl to file for, why is she not the right girl to marry? One year of filing will make her the right girl? She wants the right man and is ready to make that step now.

I'm not hearing any reason NOT to marry... except I'm hearing eastern pragmatism vs western skepticism so far...

My Yanzi does not want to come to America unmarried. For me, I will do anything I can to support her decision. Now for those of you who tread cautiously, I am convinced she is not a "green card scammer" we were introduced by a mutual friend a prominent CPA in my city. She has never advertised on websites for foreign man, and she has told me many times; that six months ago the thought of a foreign husband would have been unthinkable. Like that counting crow¡¯s song she reluctantly fell in love.

Here are the facts:

My income level is well above the poverty line

Own my own house

I have never been married

She owns her apartment

Modest income

Sells insurance

She is from a city that as far as I know is not notorious for green card scammers (Liuzhou)

Divorced with daughter

Father has custody

He is moderately successful business man

Language gap, at this point significant but she is taking night classes and her teacher has publically announced her as the best student in the class, but given the quality of instruction in China. I know high competency in English will not occur until she arrives

Plan is for marriage on my next visit which will be my second

Third or fourth visit will be for interview

Age difference; 10 years my favor

Steps to help prove legitimacy of relationship

1, Shared bank account in China

2, If possible add her to utility bills here in America (saw that suggestion on this site)

3, File a joint return for 2008, which given the length of this process will apply before interview

4, Affidavits from her relatives

5, Plenty of pictures, emails, chat etc

Now why are we moving so fast, both of us are not getting younger but both of us are still young enough to start our own family. Yanzi is 34, as some on this site know all to well, a women¡¯s ability to conceive decreases dramatically past the age of 35. I am reaching an age where my ability to produce offspring begins to decline.

We are great together both of us are goofballs who share an innate ability to make the other laugh. She is the kindest, warmest person I have ever known and what a beauty. When I first arrived, we had a translator for 2 days then we had dueling electronic translators (go with besta they kick everyone else¡¯s ass) for the remaining three weeks.

I know that a short courtship is a huge red flag for GUZ, but I am hoping my middle class income, home ownership, and fanatical preparation, with this sites help, gives us a fighting chance for what statistically is the hardest visa: the CR1. I have read the statue that applies to our case, and the standards for rejecting our application is suppose to be very high once we get NSC approval, but we all know that we are at the mercy of GUZ.

I will attempt to change her mind if I am compelled, by my research, to conclude that pursuing a CR1 is foolhardy and change direction to a K1. In my heart, I want to grant her this wish

That is why I appeal to the wise old hands involved in this family of CVPL to point me in the direction of the light.

Thanks in advance

Jim

I met my Chinese wife in Nov 2005 in Shanghai and we decided we wanted to get married the first week. I came back to the US and got my single certificate and returned to China and got married in March 2006. When I went back in March, I took all of the forms for the I-130 petition (CR-1). We worked on them together so that we could get all of the paperwork correct. I purchased the Nolo Book on immigration and submitted the Petition just as directed, im May 2006. We got NOA 1 in a week or so and then NOA 2 in Aug 2006. Waited 8 months and heard nothing. Then the reguest for I-864 and DS 230. Interview was in NOV. 2007. we were prepared with 20 lbs of material. The VO asked her about my divorce and then looked some pictures of my farm. Less than 5 minutes and approved. Visa in hand Nov 20, 2007. I returned to the US and then went went back to China in March 2008 (5th trip) to come back with her and her 250 lbs. of luggage. We waited so that she would not be admitted to the US until after we were married 2 years. I wanted to be with her at the POE so that I made sure they gave us the IR-1 Permanent Resident. The POE stamped her passport with CR-1 and argued with me that only GUZ can do IR-1. I had to demand a supervisor and they finally voided the CR-1 stamp and made it IR-1 unconditional. To me this is the only way to do it. We are done with immigration. No AOS , No $1072.00 fee, No more interviews. From petition to arrival in US IR-1---22 months. We lost some time because we also did the I-129F K-3 to save time but it was only 30 days or so faster so we dropped it and went with CR-1...Everyone interested, remember if you are married over 2 years when you are admitted to the US, they must stamp your passport IR-1 regardless if the symbol on your visa... my wife has been in the us one week now and is having a good time. For over two years when I asked her why something, she said " Chinese Way " Now I get to say " American Way " First question was, " why there is no people? " Its fun " a happy Chinese wife makes for a very happy American husband...Ha ba ha ? Y and L

• 2 weeks later...

:huh:

Since when is a short courtship a red flag? Maybe that's why the main color of the chinese flag is red... they are ready for a relationship so quickly? This is mostly urban legend... MOST filers through china are probably short courtships.

Here is the only concern I have :(

If she's ready to marry and you are not, then don't marry and don't file anything, including K1...

I see nothing wrong with her wanting to get married... and it may be that 'face' is not being figured in this at the start (she or family want this) and in the end (loss of face to family if she were to divorce anyway). So... IMO, based on 'face' issues, it doesn't add up as a concern or worry.

Just because says 'family wants this'... I would not necessary take that as 100% only famly... but it could be... it's really hard to know with some chinese who have a tendency to put the reason on someone else for something.

My opinion is.. if she is the right girl to file for, why is she not the right girl to marry? One year of filing will make her the right girl? She wants the right man and is ready to make that step now.

I'm not hearing any reason NOT to marry... except I'm hearing eastern pragmatism vs western skepticism so far...

great post-we are registering to marry in June with a formal ceremony later in the year-thanks to everyone for the information and the encouragement- and the wise old hands were right it is a face issue-Jim

We worked on them together so that we could get all of the paperwork correct. I purchased the Nolo Book on immigration and submitted the Petition just as directed, im May 2006.

Has anyone else used this book with success-Jim- Yanping great story and great success with the arrival of your wife-Jim