Question on I-485 AoS

Greetings,

My SO, Ling received her K1 Visa last August and arrived in the USA in September. We were married that same month and we are just getting around to filing AoS.

We do have an SSN and a State ID card in her new married name.

My question is which name should she use, her Chinese name to match the passport and Visa or her new married name?

I am thinking we should use her Chinese name, but just want to check here to be sure.

Thanks

Obie

Yes - there is a place on the I-485 to list any aliases (such as her maiden name).

The green card in her married name will allow her to use that name in other places that require her to use her immigration name.

The place for maiden name is the line that asks for name on I-94.

If you use maiden name on the I-485, then later after getting the green-card and as lee says you are feeling the pain of ID's with different names. You can get name changed on green-card by filing I-90 and paying a $370 fee.

Perhaps picking the name that you want before filing the I-485 is a good thing.

I agree with others that the married name should be used. As for travel all that is required is the name on the airplane ticket must match the passport or the airline won't let her board the plane. A notation may be made on her passport bythe Chinese consulate that says something to the effect that "XXXXX XXXXX is also the the name of this person" (I forget the exact wording). This will allow the passport holder to use their married name on airline tickets. The name not matching isn't really a big deal though. Re-entering the US all they are interested in is the green card.