Most secure way to send the Kitchen Sink

What is the most secure way to send the kitchen sink? These are after all important and sensitive documents and if they were to be lost, it would be a big deal. I'm thinking DHL is the best way to get it there? I've had bad luck with USPS lately...

I sent a small valantines packet to Kathy on Feb 4th, in a USPS flat rate envelope (6-10 days would let it arrive right near valentines). Here it is, March 7th and she hasn't received it nor has it been sent back to me.

The previous package I sent was by USPS Express mail. It was suppose to arrive in 5 days, but it hadn't even left the country in 5 days. blink.gif It finally arrived, but took twice as long to get there as advertised. And it's not like she lives in the countryside!

Just a few months earlier, her customer sent her some documents. I'll have to ask, but I think it was by USPS too... they never arrived.

So what's everyones recommendation for sending the Kitchen sink?

What is the most secure way to send the kitchen sink? These are after all important and sensitive documents and if they were to be lost, it would be a big deal. I'm thinking DHL is the best way to get it there? I've had bad luck with USPS lately...

I sent a small valantines packet to Kathy on Feb 4th, in a USPS flat rate envelope (6-10 days would let it arrive right near valentines). Here it is, March 7th and she hasn't received it nor has it been sent back to me.

The previous package I sent was by USPS Express mail. It was suppose to arrive in 5 days, but it hadn't even left the country in 5 days. :lol: It finally arrived, but took twice as long to get there as advertised. And it's not like she lives in the countryside!

Just a few months earlier, her customer sent her some documents. I'll have to ask, but I think it was by USPS too... they never arrived.

So what's everyones recommendation for sending the Kitchen sink?

Tightly clenched in your fist! :lol:

But I take it you aren't able to go for the Interview yourself. In that case DHL is probably your best bet & as you said USPS is the WORST for getting things to China on time (if at all). Also, make sure it states 'Documents' on the mailing form somewhere, I forget who told me this, but when I sent things marked this way they seemed to arrive sooner... maybe less worry for Customs, who knows.

But I take it you aren't able to go for the Interview yourself. In that case DHL is probably your best bet & as you said USPS is the WORST for getting things to China on time (if at all). Also, make sure it states 'Documents' on the mailing form somewhere, I forget who told me this, but when I sent things marked this way they seemed to arrive sooner... maybe less worry for Customs, who knows.

Exactly!

Ours was in my Carry-on bag, and I hand carried it all the way to China for the interview.

I'd love to be there for the interview and bring the documents myself, but I don't think it is very realistic. We both want to travel to the US together. I'll only have about a week of vacation from work by then, and that's not enough time for her to get the visa, pack and say goodbye. And that's if everything goes smoothly. Also, I'm not allowed to attend the interview, other than emotional support what could I do there?

Thanks for the tip on marking it is as documents. I've never had them open an envelope with documents, but they frequently inspect some of the other care packages.

Edited by Brian & Kathy (see edit history)

I'd love to be there for the interview and bring the documents myself, but I don't think it is very realistic. We both want to travel to the US together. I'll only have about a week of vacation from work by then, and that's not enough time for her to get the visa, pack and say goodbye. And that's if everything goes smoothly. Also, I'm not allowed to attend the interview, other than emotional support what could I do there?

Thanks for the tip on marking it is as documents. I've never had them open an envelope with documents, but they frequently inspect some of the other care packages.

Tightly clenched in your fist! :unsure:

It's so difficult not to be there. I feel your angst. Could you send two packages of the same documents? Overkill is not a bad thing!

Heya Brian -

I would add another two options:

1. SEND DIRECTLY to the China Post Office Address closest to her, with a 'HOLD FOR PICKUP' and 'NOTIFY RECEIVER AT Phone Number XXXXXXXXXXX' outside on the package, written in Chinese.

2. Does she have a friend who works at a multi-national company in her town? These guys ALWAYS receive their mail and packages. Send it to that friend via DHL.

hth ! Warmest Regards ...

ps - I'm doing the hand-carry option.

I'll have to send the origional submission of what I gave USCIS. This includes a lot of personal cards and letters we've given to eachother. I'd hate to loose these as much as anything else.

I checked the prices of sending a 5lb package to China via DHL and it is over 100$ US. This seems a bit excessive and I certainly don't need to pay extra for next day service. Registered mail seems to be a good option. I picked up a letter from the post office once that was sent registered mail and it was physically under lock and key. The prices seem cheaper than DHL as well.

It's so difficult not to be there. I feel your angst. Could you send two packages of the same documents? Overkill is not a bad thing!

I'v never had any problems with USPS, a little slow but it gets there, just sent the last bits of the "kitchen sink" that way.

Same here. I send it in a flat rate box with chocolates, clothing, other gifts and it weighs 10 pounds or so. Fill out the customs declaration and if it is worth over $200 I insure it.

The last one I sent around Feb 18 and it arrived in 7 days.

Guest Rob & Jin

tape it to your chest and walk through security with it.. just make sure it doesn't have any metal paper clips... and let her rip it off your chest :D

Lets keep anatomy out of it :blink:

USPS Express International.

Cheaper than others and I feel it would be the most secure.

I have sent many packages, letters and documents via USPS with never an issue and always on time if not a day or two prior to estimated delivery date.

As many, I hand carried ours to GUZ. Never out of our sight. We put too much into it to trust it with anyone else.

Use Chinese characters for the address and of course, include her phone number that she can be reached at.

Darnell offered good suggestions also.

Clayton

I also used FEDEX but that was a long time ago and I was working in Shanghai. I never had a problem but I also always had my stuff sent directly to my work place. I know at least back then in 2000 that FEDEX did not deliver all over China. So you would want to know for sure before you sent it by FEDEX if delivery could be made to the address you want to send it.

Gale

For what its worth I always use FedEx, and I know its pricey, a 1 lb just documents costs the average person around $80.00. I get a break because of where I work, it costs me $11.00, ( not Bragging ) but the package always gets there in 2 days, and you always say its going to a business.