sending mail to china

hello to all. i have tried to obtain my chinese fiancee address written in chinese, so i can make address labels. when she emails this to me my computer somehow converts it to a different text, just a lot of letters and numbers. any ideas on what to do short of having her fax it to me?

hello to all. i have tried to obtain my chinese fiancee address written in chinese, so i can make address labels. when she emails this to me my computer somehow converts it to a different text, just a lot of letters and numbers. any ideas on what to do short of having her fax it to me?

You need to install Chinese Language support on your computer, or if it's already installed, change your encoding to chinese, then view the email again.

Do you have Chinese language support installed on your computer ?

The easiest way to tell is to launch your web browser, then review the types of languages supported under 'encoding' - if you don't see Chinese, it's not installed.

This is a common problem. Just have her put the Chinese writing into a Word document (or any other document that accepts Chinese characters), and attach it to the email instead.

Or you can create a web account, like Yahoo or Gmail, and just read it on the web (these usually retain the Chinese characters).

On a PC you just click start, then settings, then control panel, then regional settings. select all the languages you want and click enter. You're done. The language support comes with Windows, you may have to put in your disk if you don't have it loaded. If you have an old Windows version you can also go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/ and get the latest language pack. If you go to a website that has Chinese characters it will popup a window asking you to download the font.

Edited by oscar (see edit history)

Best to use real Chinese caracters for sending letters to China.

Have her FAX it to you,and make sure she includes the Post Code (Zip Code).

Often Chinese will forget to give you their post code.

After you receive the FAX,maybe you should take it to some Chinese people in your home town and have them re write it again on a clean sheet of paper.

I have used this method to communicate with my Chinese friends for years.

After you glue this kind of Chinese address on the elvelope,take a BLUE pen and write,in English, "CHINA" on the bottom right corner,and get a FREE strip of those blue "Air Mail" stickers at the post office and stick one of those on there too.

All this to alert my mail man that THIS letter is going to China.

Common problem:

My Beijing friend wrote his entire Beijing address out in PinYin English (acceptable for China Post Office to deliver),

but ONE letter was wrong in one word,so the package was returned undelivered.

Another way is to have her email you her address in Chinese or send it to you in a chat message. That is what we did, then I pasted it into the windows notebook. Later I moved it into a word document and put it onto some Avery address labels. Remember to have it in both English (to get it out of the US) and Chinese. Worked wonders for us.

Another way is to have her email you her address in Chinese or send it to you in a chat message. That is what we did, then I pasted it into the windows notebook. Later I moved it into a word document and put it onto some Avery address labels. Remember to have it in both English (to get it out of the US) and Chinese. Worked wonders for us.

Add their phone number too. It saved my butt when I had to write her address by hand in the customs label. They said they couldn't read my printing! I had a separate printed label - go figure! They called her.