English School...

I just read an interesting thread about ESL certification. My question is this; is starting a private English school a viable idea? I don't have a certificate and I'm not sure if I could get one, but it seems that one could open a school and teach privately. I know a Chinese woman who made quite a bit of money teaching English privately in Shenzen. I've been thinking this could work, especially in a town like Nanning where there are (seemingly) so many women looking to learn English.

I've started a thread like this before but I can't find it. I'm interested in everyone's opinion.

Thanks in advance...

I just read an interesting thread about ESL certification. My question is this; is starting a private English school a viable idea? I don't have a certificate and I'm not sure if I could get one, but it seems that one could open a school and teach privately. I know a Chinese woman who made quite a bit of money teaching English privately in Shenzen. I've been thinking this could work, especially in a town like Nanning where there are (seemingly) so many women looking to learn English.

I've started a thread like this before but I can't find it. I'm interested in everyone's opinion.

Thanks in advance...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...ic=29883&hl=

Interesting two questions just alike?

I have a friend who was stationed in korea. Someone he knows when he got out of the military started a school in korea.. He is doing over 100,000/year not including the "red " envelopes that all the students bring from home sent the parents to make sure he gives their child "special " attention. Granted the difference between the countries money wise but It could be possible to have a decent income.

Have no Idea what it would take to do the same in China. May run into a lot of red tape.

do you want to talk about it or just do it?

Both. Looking for opinions, though, of how viable this business idea may be. Opinions of Chinese wives/fiances would be particularly valuable.

I'm thinking more in terms of a 'business', not a job. I don't have the credentials necessary for a government certified or sanctioned position. I do have teaching experience in the private sector, having taught private seminars on real estate and mortgage finance for years.

I think there is great demand for this, particularly amongst women looking for foreigners for love and marriage. My wife took classes and paid a small fortune, much more than was necessary in my opinion. There are probably parents who would supplement their children's school instruction with American English. My wife's niece is the top English student in her entire SCHOOL, but she lacks experience with spoken English, particularly Americanized English.

do you want to talk about it or just do it?

Both. Looking for opinions, though, of how viable this business idea may be. Opinions of Chinese wives/fiances would be particularly valuable.

I'm thinking more in terms of a 'business', not a job. I don't have the credentials necessary for a government certified or sanctioned position. I do have teaching experience in the private sector, having taught private seminars on real estate and mortgage finance for years.

I think there is great demand for this, particularly amongst women looking for foreigners for love and marriage. My wife took classes and paid a small fortune, much more than was necessary in my opinion. There are probably parents who would supplement their children's school instruction with American English. My wife's niece is the top English student in her entire SCHOOL, but she lacks experience with spoken English, particularly Americanized English.

My wife claims that it is very easy to open private school, but she has her degree in english language. She was a teacher.

Good points all.

I would leave the business part to my Wife. She has experience with that. I would be the "Chief Instructor" and would use that position as a way to get over there.

My Wife doesn't seem to think the regulation part would be too hard, but she doesn't know if the market is large enough. She should know, but I think there is room for something like this.

Thanks for all the input.