switching to english

How can i change Jings computer to english so i can setup her network. Everything is in chinese and she has no idea how to change it ..and niether do i.

Also an easy program to switch my home PC from english to chinese and back ?

i'm certainly no computer geek, but i took a laptop from usa for my gal to use in china....hahaha...she doesn't use it much, but both her kids sure do...anyway....there are language settings in the computer, and while it will not make it all one way or the other, it certainly will help.....only other thing i can think of is just to get complete operating system, usa or chinese, whichever you prefer to run, and install it this way

How can i change Jings computer to english so i can setup her network. Everything is in chinese and she has no idea how to change it ..and niether do i.

i'm certainly no computer geek, but i took a laptop from usa for my gal to use in china....hahaha...she doesn't use it much, but both her kids sure do...anyway....there are language settings in the computer, and while it will not make it all one way or the other, it certainly will help.....only other thing i can think of is just to get complete operating system, usa or chinese, whichever you prefer to run, and install it this way

That would be great ... and just starting from scratch was my first idea ... but she wants to use chinese ... that i understand ... but i need to set her laptop up on my network and i can't read the settings in the laptop to do it .... she can have it all chinese if she likes ... but i have to make it all english for a short time :rolleyes:

That would be great ... and just starting from scratch was my first idea ... but she wants to use chinese ... that i understand ... but i need to set her laptop up on my network and i can't read the settings in the laptop to do it .... she can have it all chinese if she likes ... but i have to make it all english for a short time :)

just i know that the american systems have the language settings that can be changed....i think is 2 or 3 different chinese settings that can select from....but i don't know about the chinese system...i would think they also have these settings as they are both windows systems...but when you change the settings, ie, english to chinese, it still has some english to deal with....and i am sure will be the same the other way around....my rong is no geek either and always has to have computer man come to her home to reinstall operating systemin her computer, due to viruses or what ever....was one reason i took the laptop to her, so when her system fails, she has a backup.....but she still has trouble using it...i will add this..if she wants the chinese system at here, then it would be wise to purchase all the discs in china and learn how to install and if need be, reinstall....i have heard from others, that it is pretty expensive to purchase the chinese operating system at here....and we all know how our women are very keen on saving a penny here and a penny there :P

Edited by steveandrong (see edit history)

Hey - good to see a post from you! I'll assume you made it to JKF and back just fine.

There was a recent post about this - I'll dig around and find the url .

But - re: yer network -

Sure - things are 'looking' different, but MOST of the HotKeys and Alt-combos are the same - so if you know the English hotkey combos (Control Panel, Network Options, protocol settings) then they also work in the Chinese version of the OS, same same.

I'll post the url here in a new reply.

To your fiance - Hey ! Welcome to Florida !!!! Give yerself 10 days for the time zone change, and unpack your dust mop quickly !!!

Hey - good to see a post from you! I'll assume you made it to JKF and back just fine.

Sure - things are 'looking' different, but MOST of the HotKeys and Alt-combos are the same - so if you know the English hotkey combos (Control Panel, Network Options, protocol settings) then they also work in the Chinese version of the OS, same same.

To your fiance - Hey ! Welcome to Florida !!!! Give yerself 10 days for the time zone change, and unpack your dust mop quickly !!!

Yep ... made to and out of JFK without a problem ... glad i extended the layover though ... took all of 3 hours to clear Immigration and Customs ..and they misplaced her bags while she was in Immigration.

But in the end all worked out fine ... we are home and she is happy ... took about 3 days for her to adjust to the time ... now she's cleaning and telling me what to do :)

I did look at the websites you posted and so far haven't been able to do what i need ... i put her laptop on my desk and mimic the commands from mine to hers but it's not changing anything .. her's is staill all chinese ... I want her to be able to use her pc to talk with her friends and family ... and so far i can't get it to connect to my network ... not even if i use the cord ... not sure what to do but i won't give up.

and Jing says Thank you for the welcome :)

Yep ... made to and out of JFK without a problem ... glad i extended the layover though ... took all of 3 hours to clear Immigration and Customs ..and they misplaced her bags while she was in Immigration.

But in the end all worked out fine ... we are home and she is happy ... took about 3 days for her to adjust to the time ... now she's cleaning and telling me what to do :)

I did look at the websites you posted and so far haven't been able to do what i need ... i put her laptop on my desk and mimic the commands from mine to hers but it's not changing anything .. her's is staill all chinese ... I want her to be able to use her pc to talk with her friends and family ... and so far i can't get it to connect to my network ... not even if i use the cord ... not sure what to do but i won't give up.

and Jing says Thank you for the welcome :)

Oh - the Dust Mop was not for cleaning, it was for whomping you upside the heid !

RE: Network stuff.

Ug. You went side by side and it didn't work? when you connect the cable, is any light on either the hub or at the back of her machine?

Do you see any different lights when a power cord is attached to her notebook? Sometimes there is some power saving mode, shuts off the ethernet adaptor, but turns it back on when the power cord is attached.

At a bare minimum, I'd select DHCP and let yer router handle the rest of it. Then - fire up a CMD/DOS window, issue 'IPCONFIG' - see what it says.

and Jing says Thank you for the welcome :D

Oh - the Dust Mop was not for cleaning, it was for whomping you upside the heid !

RE: Network stuff.

Ug. You went side by side and it didn't work? when you connect the cable, is any light on either the hub or at the back of her machine?

Do you see any different lights when a power cord is attached to her notebook? Sometimes there is some power saving mode, shuts off the ethernet adaptor, but turns it back on when the power cord is attached.

At a bare minimum, I'd select DHCP and let yer router handle the rest of it. Then - fire up a CMD/DOS window, issue 'IPCONFIG' - see what it says.

Thanks for the help ... now let me tell you what i did to make it work ( and i did it in chinese :D )

I went to the network connections and into the properties and turned off her DNS and server settings and told it to " auto find " connections ... and all is working great .... she also showed me this translator she has installed that when i put the curser over the chinese word it pops open a window and translates for me ...

all is well now :D