Here come higher fees and longer waits

Guest Mike and Lily

In George Bush's new budget, the (legal) immigration process will be funded only by the fees paid by the applicants. Does this mean the VO's now work for us?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080209/ap_on_...ration_backlogs

No. It only means business as usual. This is how things have always been funded, so it means nothing has changed.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

In George Bush's new budget, the (legal) immigration process will be funded only by the fees paid by the applicants. Does this mean the VO's now work for us?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080209/ap_on_...ration_backlogs

No. It only means business as usual. This is how things have always been funded, so it means nothing has changed.

In the article it stated that they are back to robbing Peter to pay Paul. Has no one ever told the government that this does not work.......

I know they have been told but their to busy creating their pork bellies to line their own back yard. :rolleyes:

I am sick and tired of hearing about the 1500 workers they are hiring. The have said it so much, or is this another 1500 workers...hehehe

They must be up to 8500 by now..........hahahahaha

The sad part is even if they have hired 8500, they are still only doing the work of 1500. :D

:P

Heya Mike -

I guess I should actually READ that news blurb, but let me assume it's similar to the ones I've read in the last few weeks.

First and foremost - BIG DEAL about the FEES making that department run. I'd be the first to actually shout praises about a system that actually got me something in a timely fashion, that I paid for whilst I was an active participant. If it happens, yeah me. If it doesn't happen in a timely fashion, then it's more of the same ol sh|t, just change the words to make it look like The Shrub is actually doing something. This is something I'll be paying close attention to as I'm just starting my filing process for K-3 this month.

Second, I keep hearing about that '1500 workers' allotment. Some places have reported that a percentage of that group will be both 1) rehires from a departmental cutback from 10 months ago and 2) rehires from actively soliciting those workers in that department who retired over the last 18 months. I can't remember the exact percentage on the total rehires, but if it gets over 30 percent then I pray we'll see some speed improvements on paperwork processing.

Third, the rest of that '1500 workers' allotment will have to be TRAINED. Is it safe to assume GS-3 to GS-5 clerk levels, with 3 to 6 month training windows ? If it was GS-11 with degree requirement, would the training window be less, say 9 days to 3 weeks? If it was GS-11, would the count be less (the supposition is that smarter people can work faster ! )

Fourth - Longer Waits ? Yeah, I can understand about that for the training that will occur, but in the same breath, I notice a lag time starting in September of 2007 from the first filing to the first NOA-1 receipt (or just the first receipt to be mailed back). I HOPE it's all evened out by now, the 2nd week in February, and at LEAST the FIRST NOTICE timelines have shrunk back to 4 to 10 days.

Oh well - time will tell - I sincerely pray this is not yet another boondoggle. I hate boondoggles, of any kind, as it usually means either money out of my pocket or MY time wasted.

{Update} - OK - a lot of the blurb was about the e-verify system. God I hope it gets to working by the summer !

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)
Guest Mike and Lily

Heya Mike -

I guess I should actually READ that news blurb, but let me assume it's similar to the ones I've read in the last few weeks.

First and foremost - BIG DEAL about the FEES making that department run. I'd be the first to actually shout praises about a system that actually got me something in a timely fashion, that I paid for whilst I was an active participant. If it happens, yeah me. If it doesn't happen in a timely fashion, then it's more of the same ol sh|t, just change the words to make it look like The Shrub is actually doing something. This is something I'll be paying close attention to as I'm just starting my filing process for K-3 this month.

Second, I keep hearing about that '1500 workers' allotment. Some places have reported that a percentage of that group will be both 1) rehires from a departmental cutback from 10 months ago and 2) rehires from actively soliciting those workers in that department who retired over the last 18 months. I can't remember the exact percentage on the total rehires, but if it gets over 30 percent then I pray we'll see some speed improvements on paperwork processing.

Third, the rest of that '1500 workers' allotment will have to be TRAINED. Is it safe to assume G-3 to G-5 clerk levels, with 3 to 6 month training windows ? If it was G-11 with degree requirement, would the training window be less, say 9 days to 3 weeks? If it was G-11, would the count be less (the supposition is that smarter people can work faster ! )

Fourth - Longer Waits ? Yeah, I can understand about that for the training that will occur, but in the same breath, I notice a lag time starting in September of 2007 from the first filing to the first NOA-1 receipt (or just the first receipt to be mailed back). I HOPE it's all evened out by now, the 2nd week in February, and at LEAST the FIRST NOTICE timelines have shrunk back to 4 to 10 days.

Oh well - time will tell - I sincerely pray this is not yet another boondoggle. I hate boondoggles, of any kind, as it usually means either money out of my pocket or MY time wasted.

{Update} - OK - a lot of the blurb was about the e-verify system. God I hope it gets to working by the summer !

I'll resist the urge here to start ranting about why I love the USA but hate our government, on so many different levels. Let's just say I consider it prudent to keep our home in China. If things get worse, at least we have other options.