I-693A Supplement Experience

Today Xuejing and I went to out and about to try and get her I-693a supplement form filled out and taken care of.

The first civil surgeon we went to, unfortunately closes at 1pm on Tuesday/Thursday, and being that we arrived at about 1:30pm, we were out of luck.

Onto the second civil surgeon, we arrived and began to explain what we needed.........had a full medical done within the past year, all we need to take care of is getting this supplement filled out.

The lady that was helping me tried to beat around the bush and said that everybody needs a full medical and the doctor won't sign off on anything that isn't. I then further detailed that Xuejing arrived in the US on a K-1 visa, and then showed the lady the part in the I-485 instructions that states that only the supplement needs to be filled out if a full medical has been done within the year.

She asked if she could see the medical, and if it was done at this office. I was kind of shocked at this question, and replied that it was done in China, and that USCIS has the medical results and were given to them upon Xuejing entering the US.

The lady's helper then said that the process for situations such as this is sending the I-693a supplement form back to China where Xuejing's immunizations were done (back-up......while in Guangzhou she had her immunizations done and has the little yellow book with her info), have them fill the form out, and mail it back to me. WHAT!?!?!

I described the whole K-1 visa one more time to the lady, and she said she'd go ask the surgeon. She came back, and said the surgeon would do it for $50. Geez...................

We're here in Milwaukee, WI, and we're getting blasted by a snowstorm. The lady's helper is a immigrant to the US as well (from the Philippines). She was very nice to us, and gave Xuejing lots of encouragement with her English.

Because of the snowstorm, their medical offices have already been closed for tomorrow, and the helper said that if that was not the case, the civil surgeon probably would not have filled out our supplement form. He just filled it out today for the $50 because they're closed tomorrow and need some extra money made today. Man................

So, we got the form all filled out, but it just makes you want to beat your head against the wall when thinking about everything involved in this process.............

Hope this info may help anybody out there - you have to be firm with these people!

Staying warm in Milwaukee,

Dan and Xuejing

• 4 months later...

Not that you'll ever have to do it again, but .... I recommend telephone shopping civil surgeons from the USCIS list. I called 3 or 4, as I recall, before I found one that would just do the supplement for a small fee.

Where can I find the list for civil surgeons??

Not that you'll ever have to do it again, but .... I recommend telephone shopping civil surgeons from the USCIS list. I called 3 or 4, as I recall, before I found one that would just do the supplement for a small fee.

There is one in TX that will do this through the mail for $20

Dr. L. E. Arnold

4534 Westgate Boulevard, Suite 106

Austin, TX 78745

Tel: (512) 444-3131

Fax: (512) 447-4699

Also there is no longer a vaccination supplement, USCIS has updated the I-693, and instructions included with it to instruct the doctor that K-Visas don't need a medical if visa medical was less than a year ago, and to just do the vaccination part of the form.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Dr. L. E. Arnold

Austin, TX 78745

Also there is no longer a vaccination supplement, USCIS has updated the I-693, and instructions included with it to instruct the doctor that K-Visas don't need a medical if visa medical was less than a year ago, and to just do the vaccination part of the form.

>There is one in TX that will do this through the mail for $20

But you still need to get the vaccination physically from a local doctor. And I don't think the cs will do the vaccination for you right?

>and instructions included with it to instruct the doctor that K-Visas don't need a medical ......

I've just downloaded a copy of I-693 and it is a rather comprehensive medical exam checklist. I don't see any instructions to tell the doctor

which part to fill in under different conditions.

If you hand the I-693 to any doctor, I bet he would do a complete physical on you so he/she can fill out the whole form! That would be one expensive physical exam!

Yes - they supply their own I-693 - you don't need to bring one. You can bring the yellow vaccination book, which is a record of which shots she's already had, so he'll know not to repeat those.

The physical exam was performed before she left China. The civil surgeon may or may not know that - either way, all he needs to do is to fill in the vaccination part.Do NOT take it to just any doctor - only a civil surgeon may sign for it

've just downloaded a copy of I-693 and it is a rather comprehensive medical exam checklist. I don't see any instructions to tell the doctor

Look at the FAQ section in the instructions. You are the customer. If the doctor won't do what you need, you are free to take your business elsewhere.

We had ours done for $10 - no vaccinations were needed. The Civil Surgeon can do any that ARE needed, however.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Yes - they supply their own I-693 - you don't need to bring one. You can bring the yellow vaccination book, which is a record of which shots she's already had, so he'll know not to repeat those.

The physical exam was performed before she left China. The civil surgeon may or may not know that - either way, all he needs to do is to fill in the vaccination part.Do NOT take it to just any doctor - only a civil surgeon may sign for it

've just downloaded a copy of I-693 and it is a rather comprehensive medical exam checklist. I don't see any instructions to tell the doctor

Look at the FAQ section in the instructions. You are the customer. If the doctor won't do what you need, you are free to take your business elsewhere.

We had ours done for $10 - no vaccinations were needed. The Civil Surgeon can do any that ARE needed, however.

>The Civil Surgeon can do any that ARE needed

Do you mean the cs can actually give you the required vaccinations as well? How much would that cost roughly? We need to get her do all the vaccination shots again since she no longer has her record from China.

That actually would not be too bad for us because we can do everything all at the cs office (vaccination shots and his signature on the I-693)

>The Civil Surgeon can do any that ARE needed

Do you mean the cs can actually give you the required vaccinations as well? How much would that cost roughly? We need to get her do all the vaccination shots again since she no longer has her record from China.

That actually would not be too bad for us because we can do everything all at the cs office (vaccination shots and his signature on the I-693)

Yes - the cost would vary, but Jiaying's son needed all of his - the cost was about $150. You can get them at another doctor (some have gone to the community clinic for free), and then bring the record to the Civil Surgeon

Dr. L. E. Arnold

Austin, TX 78745

Pete and others, I did call around and check with 5-6 civil surgeons and got quite the run around. Here is what Dr. Arnold needs you to do, and yes it is $20.00 per 693 and that includes postage. They send you a sealed copy for USCIS and a copy for your records. Also, the ladies you deal with could not be more pleasant.

Here is the information we need to be submitted when doing an adjustment of status.

We need:

copy of all the immunizations

on a separate sheet of paper:

Last Name, First Name (Given), and Middle Name

Gender (male or female)

Date of Birth

Country of Birth

City, Town, or Village of birth

mailing address

phone number

Social Security Number

The first page of the I-693 form from the USCIS.GOV websight - please just sign and date it do NOT fill out anything else, if you do this could delay the process.

We charge $20 per person and we need the above data on each person. Checks can be made out to Dr. L. E. Arnold - Money orders also accepted.

I had my girls shots done at the board of health, cheap for children, not so for adults. School age children it is $10.00 per shot, adults vary from $60.00-150.00 per shot.

Worst part of AOS by far............................

Mark and family!! :surrender:

• 2 weeks later...

that sounds great, but i thought you were supposed to sign this form in the presence of the cs? has anyone done this without problems?

Dr Arnold is the only one we've heard of who will do this (in this way) by mail. All others require that you go to their office. The forms are filled out there.

• 7 months later...

FYI: for what it's worth, Dr. Arnold does NOT handle the TB Testing, and so if you didn't get the TB Test done with your physical (which in most cases, they do NOT do the TB testing in the Guangzhou physicals), you'll have to find a different Civil Surgeon. Of course, if you fall in the earlier date range where the TB testing was not a requirement, this need not concern you, but most people now looking on the board are likely in my category, where the TB testing is required.

We got the TB testing done for free for our son, and my wife's testing is only $10. They do the skin test one day, and 3 days later we go back for the results. I have no idea why Dr Arnold cannot copy this to the I-693, but they were emphatic about not doing it. Go figure.

So I'm looking for another Civil Surgeon who will transfer the vaccines and TB test results to my I-693.

Bill

Dr. L. E. Arnold

Austin, TX 78745

Pete and others, I did call around and check with 5-6 civil surgeons and got quite the run around. Here is what Dr. Arnold needs you to do, and yes it is $20.00 per 693 and that includes postage. They send you a sealed copy for USCIS and a copy for your records. Also, the ladies you deal with could not be more pleasant.

Here is the information we need to be submitted when doing an adjustment of status.

We need:

copy of all the immunizations

on a separate sheet of paper:

Last Name, First Name (Given), and Middle Name

Gender (male or female)

Date of Birth

Country of Birth

City, Town, or Village of birth

mailing address

phone number

Social Security Number

The first page of the I-693 form from the USCIS.GOV websight - please just sign and date it do NOT fill out anything else, if you do this could delay the process.

We charge $20 per person and we need the above data on each person. Checks can be made out to Dr. L. E. Arnold - Money orders also accepted.

I had my girls shots done at the board of health, cheap for children, not so for adults. School age children it is $10.00 per shot, adults vary from $60.00-150.00 per shot.

Worst part of AOS by far............................

Mark and family!! :plane: