I-693 medical exam again??

I have no idea what's going on with USCIS......

My husband entered into US thru K-1.

As is informed, we just need to submit I-693A. However, after waiting for 4 months, we got a notice today that request him to submit the original DS-2053 (which was given to the custom when entering into the US) or HAVE THE MEDICAL EXAM AGAIN! Basically the reason for that is no medical exam could be located.

We are living in NY. Anyone else has the same case? I guess we 99% will end up having another medical exam, which is really ridiculous! :angry:

I have no idea what's going on with USCIS......

My husband entered into US thru K-1.

As is informed, we just need to submit I-693A. However, after waiting for 4 months, we got a notice today that request him to submit the original DS-2053 (which was given to the custom when entering into the US) or HAVE THE MEDICAL EXAM AGAIN! Basically the reason for that is no medical exam could be located.

We are living in NY. Anyone else has the same case? I guess we 99% will end up having another medical exam, which is really ridiculous! :D

I see this post every so often on VJ, and some just send another Vaccination supplement, and a copy of I-485 instruction page with the paragraph stating if K-Visa holder's medical was less than a year before filing the I-485 that supplement is only needed, and this works or they get another RFE, in this case the medical record was misplaced when the immigration packet gets sent from POE to USCIS field office or NBC and does not get matched up with the I-485, and in this case a full medical is needed.

The RFE letter for medical is a form letter, and can be sent out if for vaccination supplement or full medical.

Yes, the same problem happened to my husband in December. We got an RFE that said that the state department failed to forward the medical exam that was given to customs when my husband (then fiance) arrived in the U.S. We really weren't sure what to do, so just so there were no problems, we got the medical exam done over again. We got a list of civil surgeons in PA and MD and the first doctor he called said they had an appointment available in 1 week. We went to a Chinese uscis approved civil surgeon in Gaithersburg, Maryland. Here is the info from the uscis website, if you are interested in seeing this civil surgeon.

Dr. Baolang Liao

16220 South Frederick Avenue, Suite 418, Gaithersburg, MD 20877

(301) 926-9088

If you don't want to travel to Maryland you can just look for a civil surgeon on the uscis website under civil surgeon locator for new york. i just thought you might be interested in Dr. Liao because you can get an appointment very quickly and it only costs about $120. Make sure to take the yellow book with the prior immunizations in it. The Doctor will write up a new vaccination supplement for you just in case.

Oh, and a week after we sent in the new medical exam his case was approved even without an interview. Also, when your husband gets the new exam he will have to get a TB test, so he will have to go back to the doctor's office 3 days later for them to check the results.

Edited by jmusic220 (see edit history)

If the doctor suggests a TB test you may want to request that they do a chest x-ray as the BCG Vaccine is used in China and has been responsible for false positives.

Here is some information that might be useful to take to the exam as some civil surgeons are not familiar with the vaccine:

CDC Fact sheet on BCG Vaccine

Testing for TB in BCG-Vaccinated Persons

Many foreign-born persons have been BCG-vaccinated. BCG vaccination may cause a positive reaction to the tuberculin skin test (TST), which may complicate decisions about prescribing treatment. Despite this potential for BCG to interfere with test results, the TST and the QuantiFERON®-TB Gold test (QFT-G) are not contraindicated for persons who have been vaccinated with BCG. The presence or size of a TST reaction in these persons does not predict whether BCG will provide any protection against TB disease. Furthermore, the size of a TST reaction in a BCG-vaccinated person is not a factor in determining whether the reaction is caused by LTBI or the prior BCG vaccination.

• 2 months later...
We got an RFE that said that the state department failed to forward the medical exam that was given to customs when my husband (then fiance) arrived in the U.S. ...

... and it only costs about $120.

Being that they are "admitting" a mistake... shouldn't the state reimburse you for the costs of taking the exam again? I would argue that point...

but it'd probably be futile.