On Our Way to the Interview

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would have to be there to believe it. Yonghua did not get a chance to get one word out of her mouth. The officer brought us into his cubicle and had us all stand. He asked our translator a couple questions, then. . . I swear I am not making this up - - he had her raise her right hand and swear to tell the truth, etc, etc. She said, "I do." Then, he had Yonghua and I raise our right hands. He then spoke even faster -- do you swear to tell the truth blah blah blah and tagged with "interprete!" Our poor translator didn't say anything because she wasn't sure what he was asking. Even I was unsure because he spoke so fast. He then said, "this interview is over and I am going to reschedule it. This young lady obviously does not know enough English to translate the oath." I said, I believe she does, but, I don't think she understood what you were requesting. He said, "I'm conducting this interview and what I say goes. Have a seat outside." Our translator can speak English and I can easily understand her, but it wasn't good enough for him. Neither my wife or I had a chance to say anything or show any documents. Later, I apologized to my wife for his behaviour. That's the least I could do. I have met with nothing but resistence in this whole immigration process, so why should this be any different?

So, we will be rescheduled within two weeks, but It could be another month or so after we receive the notice. I have to find someone who can translate, but they are hard to find around here. She asked several of her friends; they were all "too busy" to help. I was much more upset about this than my wife. She's a little lady with a very strong attitude. And so it goes. Thank you all for your kind support as always. To be continued . . .

You would have to be there to believe it. Yonghua did not get a chance to get one word out of her mouth. The officer brought us into his cubicle and had us all stand. He asked our translator a couple questions, then. . . I swear I am not making this up - - he had her raise her right hand and swear to tell the truth, etc, etc. She said, "I do." Then, he had Yonghua and I raise our right hands. He then spoke even faster -- do you swear to tell the truth blah blah blah and tagged with "interprete!" Our poor translator didn't say anything because she wasn't sure what he was asking. Even I was unsure because he spoke so fast. He then said, "this interview is over and I am going to reschedule it. This young lady obviously does not know enough English to translate the oath." I said, I believe she does, but, I don't think she understood what you were requesting. He said, "I'm conducting this interview and what I say goes. Have a seat outside." Our translator can speak English and I can easily understand her, but it wasn't good enough for him. Neither my wife or I had a chance to say anything or show any documents. Later, I apologized to my wife for his behaviour. That's the least I could do. I have met with nothing but resistence in this whole immigration process, so why should this be any different?

So, we will be rescheduled within two weeks, but It could be another month or so after we receive the notice. I have to find someone who can translate, but they are hard to find around here. She asked several of her friends; they were all "too busy" to help. I was much more upset about this than my wife. She's a little lady with a very strong attitude. And so it goes. Thank you all for your kind support as always. To be continued . . .

As I sit in front of my computer with my mouth open in disbelief, I just get angrier and angrier. ;)

That is a load of BS! All I can think to do is apologize somehow. I'm stunned. This person has no business working in ANY job that deals with the public, let alone one that requires the kind of sensitivity this one does.

Amazing. I'm so sorry for both of you. :)

Hopefully you'll get someone else next time.

As I sit in front of my computer with my mouth open in disbelief, I just get angrier and angrier. ;)

Ditto!! How shocking! How sad!!! :)

We're still pulling for the two of you. Hope the two of you stay focused and in tune with one another. I know the discouragement, don't dwell on it. Be positive. This VO obviously had his head where the sun don't shine!!!

Knock on wood....he isn't around for your next interview! B)

PapaBear :D

I wish it was a different outcome, Ron. I'm sure with diligence, you'll be able to find an interpreter who's English is proficient enough to translate "IO babble" for Ivy. Time to PM some of the left coast members for some assistance. Good luck! I know you and Ivy will persevere.