Bringing pet dog to China, anyone know?

Does anyone know if it is ok to bring a pet dog to China? Or where to research the subject, I know there would be quarantine issues and such, but not sure if is worth the headaches.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Not sure why, but... :D :blink: ?

http://english.cri.cn/chinastic/events/winners/index.htm

http://www.china.org.cn/english/MATERIAL/135570.htm

Does anyone know if it is ok to bring a pet dog to China? Or where to research the subject, I know there would be quarantine issues and such, but not sure if is worth the headaches.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Paul,

This a bit lengthy so I wanted to help other board members at the same time I attempted to ask you base question. Here are several articles. I am cognizant that they are centered on the Shanghai area; however, most of the major cities (e.g. Chengdu, my wife¡¯s home town) pattern themselves in one way or another around Shanghai. I know that my wife¡¯s hometown laws aren¡¯t as strict, but they can be a real pain in the arse, though. Here are a few links. There are more, but these should get you started:

http://www.petrelocation.com/petrules-23.html

http://www1.china.org.cn/english/China/65206.htm

http://www.web-rover.com/doglaw/china.php

I¡¯m a former Doberman Pinscher owner, that had a schutzhund trained pet (schH2 ranking). Yin and I loved him very much and Typhon was extremely well mannered. This aside, when Yin and I moved to San Diego and we both went into sticker shock. My animal in many cities would have been classified as ¡°high risk,¡± pet fees, deposits were silly to ridiculous, even if a condo owner gave permission, then you have Vet bills, food bills, leash laws, moving around a major city to a dog park¡­.and if this still isn¡¯t enough legal responsibility is some asshat teased and provoked the dog into attacking out of frustration. However, I understand the love owners have for their pets.

I travel frequently and have been to China 7 times now, for business and pleasure. I have considered taking my animal with me. After researching this issue and IMHO only, I believe that you may be biting off a lot more than what you expect. And I will cite several issues you might want to consider.

1) Veterinarians are at a best case at a premium price, to some being poorly qualified and not qualified to treat anything above hamsters, gerbils and fish ich. (ick for those that don¡¯t know what I¡¯m talking about )

2) Dog food issues. No jokes about tainted food, just that the food is lower quality in some aspects to Western manufacturers. This is all relative to what you want to feed your pets. I know that I couldn't get the food I would have wanted in Far East, without paying a premium price. From Dave's ESL cafe (forum for ESL Teachers), I know one pet-owner had their food flown in! :angry: :rolleyes:

3) Medicine issues

4) What size is the animal/cat? Will a landlord take you in, with his good graces and soak you for extra money?

5) Space constraints, in walking the animal in a major city.

6) LEGAL responsibilities!

7) Quarantine issues and times. Most countries have you pay for the food while waiting in this period. They are NOT a charity! The people that do offer this service are going to nail you onto the proverbial Cross, with fees. They aren¡¯t in business to make you happy. BTW, you have the reverse problem when you leave China and return to the West, in whatever country you choose.

Finally, theft. Both from the money aspect, and as a delicacy. Thankfully this is rare, but it still has happened in China. In either case, few Chinese people want to have the risk of being caught with a stolen animal, that they illegally obtained from a laowei. The Chinese police take an extremely dim view of foreigners being hit on and in my wife¡¯s hometown, expend a lot of effort cleaning this aspect up! Wife¡¯s family has two upper echelon police friends, who have related; ¡°Any problems, you come see me!¡± In whatever case, the animal will be disposed of immediately, so there is no evidence of possession.

Perhaps, purchasing a cat or dog in China might be a better option.

Hope the information helps you reach a well-reasoned decision. From one former owner to you, I hope it turns out well.

Dave

Edited by Cerberus (see edit history)

Speaking of delicacy..................

Our Husky got out when the electric company worker forgot to close our gate after repairs following a recent ice storm. We got her back about a week later when an elderly lady saw my ad on Craigs list.

My wife was telling a friend in China about the dog missing for a week and our good luck in getting her back. Her friend was in disbelief, saying "someone missed a good chance for a big (free) family dinner".

Thank you everyone for your responses. I should of added more at first, sorry. My GF wants a pet beagle for her daughter, she lives in Taiyuan.

She does not know where to find a beagle in China, so she asked me to bring her one from america.

I told her it is not worth it but when she gets to USA she can have one.

Thanks for the links as i can show her all the requirements, altho for her, money is not and issue, more of her daughter being happy.

I fly many times to Guangzhou for business. So i know would be a headache. I will try to convince her to wait, but as you know, sometimes you have to pick your battles very carefully with Chinese women. <_<

Thanks again everyone.

Paul

Thank you everyone for your responses. I should of added more at first, sorry. My GF wants a pet beagle for her daughter, she lives in Taiyuan.

She does not know where to find a beagle in China, so she asked me to bring her one from america.

I told her it is not worth it but when she gets to USA she can have one.

Thanks for the links as i can show her all the requirements, altho for her, money is not and issue, more of her daughter being happy.

I fly many times to Guangzhou for business. So i know would be a headache. I will try to convince her to wait, but as you know, sometimes you have to pick your battles very carefully with Chinese women. :(

Thanks again everyone.

Paul

hi Paul

I have brought dogs from China to US before, 2 Japanese spitz in 2 different times. And it was all worth it since, they are rare in US and my family in US loves them.

It was not difficult to bring a dog or pet from China to US, but I found out that if you were to bring a pet into China, laws are bit hard on the pet since they will be kept in customs for least 30 days when entering any China ports. Including Airports.

I hope this will help you make your decision.

Ken