Shocking day for this person

I read the article, and it only said that 19 "faced" deportation in court.

I do know that they've been raiding establishments and enforcing work visa requirements.

But Immigration still largely works on "catch and release": these people will be ordered to stand trial, released on their own recognizance, and little effort made to do anything about them when they don't show up.

Many, many people are leaving on their own because of this enforcement of work laws...but few are being "deported". Extradited, however is different: the people extradited are wanted for criminal actions in their own countries...I'd hazard a guess that they are in drug or human trafficking.

But sending someone back to stand trial in their own country for crimes is exponentially different from rounding up 20-30 people whose only crimes are not violent: illegal presence, illegal work, illegal identification.

If we were deporting 20-30 at a time, you wouldn't see immigration and The Fence being such a big political deal.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest knloregon

We had an ICE raid at "Fresh Del Monte" here in Portland this summer that resulted in 160 arrests. Most shipped to Tacoma Fed. holding facility facing deportation, some with children allowed to stay in Portland waiting deportation.... (City of Portland has been paying the tab ---rent, food etc. on the latter, even though its pretty clear none are going to have successful appeals)...

Remember the student without the hukou thread? I suggested her situation --- the legal limbo --- was similar to being illegal in the US---several here disagreed---seems pretty similar to this situation to me..

You are right A Mafan, but when one considers the difference between being captured by a officer and being deported from the country, and being captured by an officer and being extradited to another country, it is a pretty small difference. Either way, they're outta heeeere!

Edited by Smitty (see edit history)