Rumors that a DCF only takes 6 months are

Indeed, for the few of us who are filing for our spouse's visa directly through the appropriate embassy or consulate in China, the good news is that it appears the time from initial filing to the interview date is indeed about six months. We filed our I-130 in Beijing on August 28, 2007 and received "the" call from Guangzhou yesterday. My wife's interview is set for February 20.

That would make it just under six months from initial filing to the interview: warp speed for visas. Moreover, it appears that the past few years' statistics show a 100% success rate for direct filings. Of course we hope that holds for us, too. We know all our CFL friends are also wishing us well.

For those of us with the time, the I-864 credentials (sufficient income or a co-sponsor) and a permanent US residence, living in China and filing directly through the US enclave here is the quickest and perhaps the best route.

Won't it be nice . . .

Indeed, for the few of us who are filing for our spouse's visa directly through the appropriate embassy or consulate in China, the good news is that it appears the time from initial filing to the interview date is indeed about six months. We filed our I-130 in Beijing on August 28, 2007 and received "the" call from Guangzhou yesterday. My wife's interview is set for February 20.

That would make it just under six months from initial filing to the interview: warp speed for visas. Moreover, it appears that the past few years' statistics show a 100% success rate for direct filings. Of course we hope that holds for us, too. We know all our CFL friends are also wishing us well.

For those of us with the time, the I-864 credentials (sufficient income or a co-sponsor) and a permanent US residence, living in China and filing directly through the US enclave here is the quickest and perhaps the best route.

Won't it be nice . . .

Congradulations!

Hope for the rest of us!

Guest Rob & Jin

Congrats......................

:blink: B) ;)

I envy you, of course I have to do one thing before I can file and that is marry her............

B) CR-1 for us all the way :roller:

Corbin for DCF you also have to lived there for at least 6 months and on a work visa.

CR-1 on its own is no faster than K-1 or K-3, maybe even slower.

You would save on AOS, but as your marriage less than 2 years still only a 2 year green card.

Edited by Rob & Jin (see edit history)

:blink: :( B)

I envy you, of course I have to do one thing before I can file and that is marry her............

B) CR-1 for us all the way :cheering:

Corbin for DCF you also have to lived there for at least 6 months and on a work visa.

You would save on AOS, but as your marriage less than 2 years still only a 2 year green card.

I know and that is the sad part. :)

The notion that a six month residence in China is either a myth or it is so widely ignored as to be de facto not true. I arrived in Beijing on August 28 and my wife and I filed our I-130 at the "Kerry Center" the next day. All they wanted was a "Z" visa and they cared not at all about a "Residence Card". You do need the work visa, but the rest is urban myth.

:roller: :mellow: :o

:P CR-1 for us all the way :P

The notion that a six month residence in China is either a myth or it is so widely ignored as to be de facto not true. I arrived in Beijing on August 28 and my wife and I filed our I-130 at the "Kerry Center" the next day. All they wanted was a "Z" visa and they cared not at all about a "Residence Card". You do need the work visa, but the rest is urban myth.

:rolleyes: :ph34r: :lol:

:lol: CR-1 for us all the way :huh:

that was "your" experience; it varies by consulate... unfortunately, as it shouldn't... although some benefit from it... but the golden rule is to simply ask the local consulate one will DCF through.

Of course, you are correct, and I fell into the common trap of being categorical. However, it is difficult to imagine a government agency where some rules apply in one place, but not in another. Imagine if IRS requirements varied by state or section of the country?

But, yes, the only "urban myth" here is that the USCIS is consistent. Best to check . . .

:rolleyes: <_< :unsure:

:roller: CR-1 for us all the way :roller:

that was "your" experience; it varies by consulate... unfortunately, as it shouldn't... although some benefit from it... but the golden rule is to simply ask the local consulate one will DCF through.

Of course, you are correct, and I fell into the common trap of being categorical. However, it is difficult to imagine a government agency where some rules apply in one place, but not in another. Imagine if IRS requirements varied by state or section of the country?

But, yes, the only "urban myth" here is that the USCIS is consistent. Best to check . . .

:bathfun: :pash: :D

:D CR-1 for us all the way :D

to clarify... it's the enforcement of the requirements which vary... and therefore, it appears to change the requirements :lol:

We've seen this before: what's published or online is usually reliable... and then there are actual experiences which differ. Such is life...