New member at CFL

Hi. I'm a new member at CFL. Met my beautiful wife in Wuhan, China in November 2006 while working at the steel mill in Wuhan, and married on March 28, 2007. Have been able to see my wife once since then (I worked in Taiyuan and Wuhan on a couple jobs last year). Currently we have a CR-1 pending in Guanghou (started the process on May 14, 2007, and informed my case was sent to Guanghou on December 21, 2007). Will wait for the interview..

My question-- is it better if I am present for the interview, at least to accompany my wife to the interview? The company I work for is not too supportive of my situation and due to the nature of jobs scheduled, it seems like it will be almost impossible for me to be there for an interview.

Hi. I'm a new member at CFL. Met my beautiful wife in Wuhan, China in November 2006 while working at the steel mill in Wuhan, and married on March 28, 2007. Have been able to see my wife once since then (I worked in Taiyuan and Wuhan on a couple jobs last year). Currently we have a CR-1 pending in Guanghou (started the process on May 14, 2007, and informed my case was sent to Guanghou on December 21, 2007). Will wait for the interview..

My question-- is it better if I am present for the interview, at least to accompany my wife to the interview? The company I work for is not too supportive of my situation and due to the nature of jobs scheduled, it seems like it will be almost impossible for me to be there for an interview.

Welcome first of all to the CFL group!! B)

You will read many pros and cons about being with your Mrs. during the process at GZU! You can only support her and wait at the coffeee shop, but not actually be with her to help answer any questions! :yahoo: You can hand her your passport to show you are there though??

So being ready with all the right papers and support information is critical!! :lol:

Hi - Welcome aboard ! I've no idea about the answers to yer questions - but - my lass is in Wuhan TOO ! We're going the K-3 route with an I-130/I-129F . PM me here if you think we should put our women in touch with each other?

If you have the chance it is best to be there with her. You provide moral support, you can attend American Citizen's Hour the Friday Monday before and ask a few good questions about the case, and you can send your passport into the interview with her.

That said, how solid is your case?

Are your finances strong?

Is there no doubt you have a US residence?

Are there previous divorces that could be questioned?

Even though you're married they can still question the relationship; do you have compelling relationship evidence?

Any enemies who could send "third party correspondence" to the consulate alleging something is false about your case?

If your case is solid on all the points above then there should be less pressure on you to accompany your wife.

Welcome aboard and best of luck to you both.

Edited by jim_julian (see edit history)

A big WELCOME bokiwen!

You have either been directed or stumbled across this wonderful website and now have a great source of information and support. I remember my luck when I first found this site. All here have helped me complete our dream and still find friendships and support for all that lay ahead of us.

Shenzhen writes of pros and cons of being there. I can only find, in my thinking, the pros. Not one con comes to mind. By all means, if you can arrange it with work, be there. The happiness of being there as your SO leaves the interview with the pink slip in hand is a moment that you will never forget! I won't. Also, your travels to GUZ are only a fraction of what most of us need to travel to be there.

jim sums it up well and we also wish you the best of luck. Just a minor correction on jim's reply to you. ACH (American Citizens Hour) is now held on Mondays only.

I already envy you for having the chance to live and work in China and have the opportunity to develop a wonderful relationship.

Stick around, everyone is here for you.

Clayton

Edited by clayton2103 (see edit history)

This website is so wonderful.. Thank you for all the information...

Actually I am located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I have been fortunate to have worked on installing steel equipment in 3 cities in China (Anshan in the Liaoning province), Wuhan (Hubei, where I met my wife), and Taiyuan (Shanxi) province. I've been very, very lucky to have spent approximately 10 months out of the last 20 months in China.

I'm 34 years old, my wife is 25. This is the first marriage for both of us.

My biggest problem with going back to China. Currently I am not scheduled for anything there, and my involvement in other jobs (US based) will just make it nearly impossible to change my schedule within a short period of time to go over for an interview. This just makes me very sad about the situation.

As for the interview and such, I do have some solid finances, as I have worked as an engineer for 12 years. I am not a home owner, but do have some savings, along with some other assets. Most of the time we are talking via Skype (or SkypeOut), or my vonage account. We certainly can provide many photos (we had the complete wedding photo package done), along with proof-of-living together in China (hotels in Wuhan and Taiyuan).

Of course, not being there for an interview makes me un-easy, but my wife claims she's ok...

DITTOS on the welcome to CFL !!

Your introduction/personal overview is very articulate and interesting. Your work experience in China sounds very interesting to me.

With you having lived and worked in the PRC for several months, thus experiencing the culture, as well as marrying there, you are light years ahead and atypical of the average new member here; some of whom have not yet visited China and who have not even met their woman in person yet.

I have known quite a few here who did not attend the interview, usually for work related or financial reasons. And, I know many here who have been in the Consulate at the same time their wife or fianc¨¦e was having her interview. It just comes down to the reality of what you are able to accomplish.

I will be at the Consulate when my wife and daughter go for their K-3 and 4 interview later in the spring. This is my choice and it is most important to me.

One¡¯s livelihood and ability to earn a living is important to the entire equation, so if there is a chance your attendance will have a negative impact on your career, then the choice will be obvious. It is too bad your boss will not be even a little flexible and give you a week or ten days off, to get Lao Po through the interview and moved to the USA.

Don¡¯t forget to post your timeline (see others for an example) in the signature section of your member page. This allows others to understand your situation and track various timeframes at different steps of the process.

We are a wide ranging demographic here at CFL, all brought together by one common link¡­.we each have found our love in China. My advice is to read as much as you can here and try to absorb as many of the issues as you can. There are many here with broad expertise and many others with expertise in various niches and aspects of the overall process. So don¡¯t hesitate to ask questions. Even some of us who have been here for awhile, and have developed a modest amount of knowledge and experience, still have questions from time to time, as we enter a new and unfamiliar phase of the process.

For those of us who are still waiting for our loved one to be at our side, this forum provides a lot of comfort and mutual support to help get through the days and the ever increasing wait. You will find that there are most likely close to a half-dozen who are very close to your timeline for projected interview.

IMO, you will do well, based on what I see. The only negative is that you are not from California. It is a fact, that woman from China, thrive in both the warmth of the sun, and the culturally supportive/enlightened environment of this State. :rolleyes:

Again, best wishes and enjoy your time here at CFL. :unsure:

Hey, welcome to CFL!

IMO, going with her to the interview is not only helpful and supportive for her, but it can be a very memorable experience for you both. It can give her a good boost in confidence knowing you are there.

Obviously, time, money, work, family, and other obligations all can weigh in on your decision, and many members are simply unable to make it. So dont lose your job over it, she will be fine and will still be able to pass the interview.

However if your job is somehow able to give you the time, and none of those other things prove to be a hindrance, then by all means, go with her and have a great time together.

Good luck to you both !

Welcome, fellow steel man. :D

Actually, a forge man here. We only perform VAR at our facility.

Enjoy the trip. :)

Welcome to the site. Speaking from personal experience, the absolute first thing to do is click on that FAQ tab at the top and go to CFL faq's. All your questions are answered there. Also, be sure to assemble the kitchen sink of things to bring to the interview. If you find any conflicting information or just want to clarify something then post a question and you'll get loads of good advice and experience from the members.

Good luck!

I believe going to the interview helps but it is not essential. Many have passed without it. If you can't go without quitting your job or some other drastic consequence then don't sweat it. On the other hand if you don't go just because you don't want to spend the money then I would re-think my priority's. What could be more important than being there for your wife when she needs you? I didn't go to my wife's interview because I wanted to use the money for a honeymoon. My wife got a blue slip and I ended up flying to China to overcome it anyway. I regret that decision to this day. I believe if I had been there she would have been less nervous and more confident when she went to the interview. My advice is to go if you possibly can.