"A" Number

Completing all the forms for AOS and also viewing the sample forms on VJ, it has come to light that on my wife's I-94 it shows a 8 digit number being used. On her NOA2 it shows a 9 digit number. Sample forms show an 8 digit number being used.

The 9th digit on her NOA2 is a "0" prior to the remaining 8 digits which is not shown on the I-94.

Sorry for this question, but I tend to worry of every letter and number inserted into all the forms since day one.

Should I use what is on the I-94 or the NOA2?

Thanks,

Clayton

Completing all the forms for AOS and also viewing the sample forms on VJ, it has come to light that on my wife's I-94 it shows a 8 digit number being used. On her NOA2 it shows a 9 digit number. Sample forms show an 8 digit number being used.

The 9th digit on her NOA2 is a "0" prior to the remaining 8 digits which is not shown on the I-94.

Sorry for this question, but I tend to worry of every letter and number inserted into all the forms since day one.

Thanks,

Clayton

I'm pretty sure it needs to be 9 digits. Apparently, that 1st "0" is optional, though at least to the IO at the POE.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Thanks,

Clayton

Clayton our "A" number starts with a "0" as well??

A0.....................................

From the EZ-FAQ !

ALIEN REGISTRATION NUMBER:

This number is assigned by USCIS. It normally appears on any Notice of Action(I-797C) they send you. It will be listed in BENEFICIARY box and look like A9x 1xx 7xx.

Since you are just starting to file and using the I-129F, Fill in NONE [for the initial petition submission]. She does not have one yet. They will assign it once your application is received. Then they will send you your first I-797C (Notice of Action) also known as P1. It will have her alien registration number listed. You should then reference it in any further forms you fill out.

- For K1 and K3, the I-797, NOA2, will contain the ¡°A¡± number (Alien Registration Number)

- For K2 and K4, there is not an ¡°A¡± number assigned in the visa process since these are derivative status classifications.

- For CR1, the ¡°A¡± number should be on the visa.

- For IR1, the ¡°A¡± number will arrive as part of the welcome letter.

NOTE for CR1 & K3 dual filers:

A CR1 (filing only the I-130) will not have an ¡°A¡± number to put into any document during the process (unless the alien spouse previous was issued one).

Those CR1s that filed a I-129F and have already received an NOA (for the Life Act filing) with an ¡°A¡± number should use that ¡°A¡± number. It¡¯s important to realize that only one ¡°A¡± number should get assigned to the beneficiary. If the K3 NOA is not available by the time the CR1 has to file a document requesting it, then annotate as NONE. At some later stage, you might have it available.

There actually are four separate types of A#. You can tell them apart by the number of digits and the first digit.

1) The first kind is an eight-digit A#. These are manually assigned at local offices. If you have one of these numbers, simply treated it as if it was "0" plus the number.

2) Nine-digit A#'s that start with the digit 1 are used for employment authorization cards, usually related to students.

3) Nine-digit A#'s that start with the digit 3 are used for fingerprint tracking of V visa applicants.

4) All other nine-digit A#'s (these actually always start with a 0) are permanent A#'s and remain permanently with you for life.

What is the "A"?

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13739