Easy time getting SSN

Sunshine and I went the day after New Years at the SSA office in Rapid City, SD. I have an ownership interest in a hotel in the Black Hills and am up visiting, so this office was convenient and marked the two-week anniversary of her arrival in the US. Also, Sunshine waxed nostalgic about the big snows she experienced as a child -- nothing better than a South Dakota winter to reacquaint her. We will marry next week in the mountains of central Colorado, so the eight inches of snow here is uneventful compared to what we expect next weekend.

Our wait in the Social Security Admin office was 15 minutes and the person behind the counter was friendly and things went smoothly. He took our filled out application, entered it into the computer, had us check it for accuracy, taking about 5 minutes. He mentioned the card would arrive in the mail in about 7 days, but we could come back the following day and get her number. We went back two days later and she was able to get her number unofficially from another friendly person behind the counter. Straightforward and rather simple.

Edited by I love Sunshine (see edit history)

Sunshine and I went the day after New Years at the SSA office in Rapid City, SD. I have an ownership interest in a hotel in the Black Hills and am up visiting, so this office was convenient and marked the two-week anniversary of her arrival in the US. Also, Sunshine waxed nostalgic about the big snows she experienced as a child -- nothing better than a South Dakota winter to reacquaint her. We will marry next week in the mountains of central Colorado, so the eight inches of snow here is uneventful compared to what we expect next weekend.

Our wait in the Social Security Admin office was 15 minutes and the person behind the counter was friendly and things went smoothly. He took our filled out application, entered it into the computer, had us check it for accuracy, taking about 5 minutes. He mentioned the card would arrive in the mail in about 7 days, but we could come back the following day and get her number. We went back two days later and she was able to get her number unofficially from another friendly person behind the counter. Straightforward and rather simple.

That's great!

That's great! You should try to get a state ID for her too. I hope that process goes as smoothly.

Mike, we tried that and they told us she has to have the green card before they will issue a California I.D.

My wife got her SS card right away, for all the good it does. It has a restriction on it.

That's great! You should try to get a state ID for her too. I hope that process goes as smoothly.

Mike, we tried that and they told us she has to have the green card before they will issue a California I.D.

My wife got her SS card right away, for all the good it does. It has a restriction on it.

It must vary from state to state. Here in IL we just took her SS card and the I-797 with the new address on it to the DMV and got her ID, no problem.

Glad to hear of your uneventful experience ILS. :)

Best of luck with the wedding. :rolleyes:

It must vary from state to state. Here in IL we just took her SS card and the I-797 with the new address on it to the DMV and got her ID, no problem.

Glad to hear of your uneventful experience ILS. :)

Best of luck with the wedding. :rolleyes:

ILS Congratulations and good luck on the wedding!!

That's no restriction - if she's authorized to work by the DHS via an EAD, she's authorized to work by the DHS. Some employers prefer to hire people who have their green cards. Here in Texas (I would think also California), legal aliens are preferred over illegal aliens.

It's simply a notation required by law. The documentation required for employment is spelled out on the I-9 filled out by employers.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
That's no restriction - if she's authorized to work by the DHS via an EAD, she's authorized to work by the DHS.

Randy, we don't have EAD, that's probably the reason. I'm even having a hassle getting her on my bank account without a green card. :headbang:

Good Luck ILS, do not wait on the State ID. It helps with bank accounts and many things.

I just tried to CA ID and no luck. Need EAD they said. It seems that the I-94 needs more than 60 days left on it to get CA ID. At least my clerk said that.

Question: Did anyone have to fill out the authorization of work form prior to getting the SS card?

We were told that she needed that approval first.

If she is K-1 and applying within 75 days of arrival, she is work authorized and doesn't need it.

Print some of the forms and take them with you to show to a supervisor - http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=124324

Some I-94s issued to K-1s are stamped "Employment Authorized", and some are not. Either way, the I-94 is proof that an alien is authorized to work.
from EM00154

The document showing work eligibility is the I-94 (in her passport)

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)