And the color is

All the stress is over....for now....my wife got her K3,...and her daughter will return in Aug to get her K4. Sucess. Now she is off to the post office to set up delivery of her passport with that beautiful US Visa in it.

Now I have to think about really cleaning house.....oh boy.

Roger, soon it will be your turn...

Great news ... congrats to the three of you.

Did your daughter interview with her Mom?

How did they handle the delay of the K4 until August? Blue slip?

Also ... as an aside ... in many second marriages in China the new husband does not really accept the step-daughter as a "real" daughter. I recommend you remain sensitive to this and take the extra steps that will assure your step-daughter that she really is your daughter and you are her dad.

Mark.....CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!! :)

I have been thinking about you guys all day !!!!!

This is such great news for you and your family !!!

Keep us apprised on how the interview went and when she arrives in Calif !!!

Sleep well tonight, Roger and Hongxia :P

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

Also ... as an aside ... in many second marriages in China the new husband does not really accept the step-daughter as a "real" daughter. I recommend you remain sensitive to this and take the extra steps that will assure your step-daughter that she really is your daughter and you are her dad.

My wife said they did not ask her anything but gave her a paper to return in Aug to get her US Visa put in it.

Do you know if, once my wife comes her, are the I-130's defunct? Since her daughter will remain for 8 more months, it might be worth while to see if I can get her CR2 processed. But I have a feeling I must do this before I AOS for my wife...so the question is do I wait until I get her CR2 going to the Consulate before AOS or what? I can save some money this way. I am not sure how they will look at it if my wife already is in the US under the K3....eventhough many of us have submitted both I am glad my wife is coming...although under the more expensive route.

Do you know if we will be able to get her SSAN with the K3 Visa? or does she have to AOS first?

Yes, I treat her daughter as is she were mine, but remembering that if a problem occurs, to let her mother talk to her about it. I just want to be a good role model and friend to her.

Thanks for your help and advise.

Mark

My wife said they did not ask her anything but gave her a paper to return in Aug to get her US Visa put in it.

Do you know if, once my wife comes her, are the I-130's defunct? Since her daughter will remain for 8 more months, it might be worth while to see if I can get her CR2 processed. But I have a feeling I must do this before I AOS for my wife...so the question is do I wait until I get her CR2 going to the Consulate before AOS or what? I can save some money this way. I am not sure how they will look at it if my wife already is in the US under the K3....eventhough many of us have submitted both I am glad my wife is coming...although under the more expensive route.

Do you know if we will be able to get her SSAN with the K3 Visa? or does she have to AOS first?

Yes, I treat her daughter as is she were mine, but remembering that if a problem occurs, to let her mother talk to her about it. I just want to be a good role model and friend to her.

Mark

I don't know about the K3/CR2 thing ... someone else can answer I'm sure.

K3's need a green card or an EAD (work permit) prior to getting a SSAN.

Re daughters, there is a danger that she will find your attempt to be a friend and let mom discuss all the problem issues to be confusing. You may wish to consider a fairly rapid transition into a typical father role, always consulting with your wife, of course.

Mark

Re daughters, there is a danger that she will find your attempt to be a friend and let mom discuss all the problem issues to be confusing. You may wish to consider a fairly rapid transition into a typical father role, always consulting with your wife, of course.

Thanks,

I wanted to get our taxes off as soon as possible. There is a thread here but one said we must try to get a SSAN first. Another said to just send in the W7 and a letter asking to be considered as a resident for tax purposes. I have the letter and W7...but should I wait to try hitting up the SSA for her SSAN in case they give it to her?

I am going to go to the Immigration office as soon as I can and find out about the CR2 vs when I AOS. But if it turns out I must file the I-824 and then another fee here in the US plus the 3000rmb fee at the Consulate to process the CR2 there, it will be better and less hassel to just bring her here on her K4 and do the AOS here.

What do you think?

Mark

Mark

Thanks,

I wanted to get our taxes off as soon as possible. There is a thread here but one said we must try to get a SSAN first. Another said to just send in the W7 and a letter asking to be considered as a resident for tax purposes. I have the letter and W7...but should I wait to try hitting up the SSA for her SSAN in case they give it to her?

I am going to go to the Immigration office as soon as I can and find out about the CR2 vs when I AOS. But if it turns out I must file the I-824 and then another fee here in the US plus the 3000rmb fee at the Consulate to process the CR2 there, it will be better and less hassel to just bring her here on her K4 and do the AOS here.

What do you think?

Mark

Mark, with respect to the taxes, there is no need to wait !!

Just send in the form W-7 which was signed by her, along with your 1040, which she has, or will, sign, to the address for the special W-7 unit of the IRS. Last year it was in Texas, most likely the same this year also.

They will process the W-7, which is in essence, a temporary number, until she gets her SSN later on. They will also process your form 1040, and issue the refund. I filed late, in April, last year, so it took seven or eight weeks to get the notice of approved W-7 with her new ITIN back in the mail, and another month or so to get my refund check, due to the backlog.

Rog

Mark

Thanks,

What do you think?

Mark

Just send in the form W-7 which was signed by her, along with your 1040, which she has, or will, sign, to the address for the special W-7 unit of the IRS. Last year it was in Texas, most likely the same this year also.

They will process the W-7, which is in essence, a temporary number, until she gets her SSN later on. They will also process your form 1040, and issue the refund. I filed late, in April, last year, so it took seven or eight weeks to get the notice of approved W-7 with her new ITIN back in the mail, and another month or so to get my refund check, due to the backlog.

Rog

Thanks Roger,

While I was there last month, I had her sign the W7 and the 1040. Of course I have to hand write the first page. I am using TurboTax. I may have to put a fake number in there. I have not gotten to that point yet. I will leave it out, but the software may not let me complete the computation for lack of a SSAN. I will try to trick it, and if I have to, put in a fake number like 111 22 3333, even though it could be someones number, just for the sake of fininshing the computation, and address a letter to the IRS reflecting this. Of course they may redo it as I won't be able to efile. I understand we can not claim her daughter even though I supported her, until she is actually here. But do I list her anyway? What about the state return? Do I list both, even though like the Federal return, I may only be able to claim my wife?

What do you think/

Thanks again for your words of wisdom.

Mark

Thanks,

What do you think?

Mark

Rog

Thanks Roger,

While I was there last month, I had her sign the W7 and the 1040. Of course I have to hand write the first page. I am using TurboTax. I may have to put a fake number in there. I have not gotten to that point yet. I will leave it out, but the software may not let me complete the computation for lack of a SSAN. I will try to trick it, and if I have to, put in a fake number like 111 22 3333, even though it could be someones number, just for the sake of fininshing the computation, and address a letter to the IRS reflecting this. Of course they may redo it as I won't be able to efile. I understand we can not claim her daughter even though I supported her, until she is actually here. But do I list her anyway? What about the state return? Do I list both, even though like the Federal return, I may only be able to claim my wife?

What do you think/

Thanks again for your words of wisdom.

Mark, you cannot utilize the 'e-file' feature for the Form 1040 filing, if you are going to include her and request the ITIN, via the form W-7. If you try, it will go belly-up and will cause you additional delays.

You can still print it out with a bogus number to get past your software restriction; but I would then just use some white-out to erase the dummy number.

The entire package, the 1040, the W-7, and her notarized PRC passport, must be sent to the special W-7 unit. Their address is on the intstruction sheet for the W-7.

Yes, you cannot claim your daughter until she is under your roof in the USA. It is also my understanding that you would not even list her on the 1040, until such time as you will claim her.

With respect to the State Taxes, each state is different. But here in CA, you would not list the daughter on the State Franchise Tax Board forms either.

You do not need the ITIN number for the state forms, but make a notation that one has been requested from the IRS.

Rog