baby= solid evidence of marriage relationship?

Hi, me, wife and 9 month old son is wating for packet 3 now. I'm just wondering if our son is good enough proof of our marriage together or do i need to go into the fine details of phone cards photo albulms and such. My son is born in my wifes home town in China, but i already brought him to the US consulate to register as a U.S. citizen and he has his U.S. passport already.

yeh, when i went to get my sons US passport, i called the consulate 3 times to make sure i have everything needed to be sure. when i got there they asked for one more doc. so i got it faxed over from the states and had to go back the next day. i had 2 passports worth of documentation of my travels and lived in the united states for 28 years, but they wanted more proof of me living there for "5years" hehe. I thought they would have Info like that at thier fingertips. makes you wonder what all those computers there are for :)

I would not push the issue of the child being proof of a marriage. It does not require marriage to provide a child. Having his US passport and birth certicicate with you both being listed as parents should be enough proof. You are a family and should act like one (not acting like one is saying "because we have a baby=we have a releatinship").If you push it, GZ may just ask for a DNA test and really delay things.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/iv_faq.html

What should I do if I am asked to perform a DNA test?

At your visa interview, the Consulate may require that you take a DNA test to establish your claimed biological relationship. At that time, we will provide you this notice.

yeh, when i went to get my sons US passport, i called the consulate 3 times to make sure i have everything needed to be sure. when i got there they asked for one more doc. so i got it faxed over from the states and had to go back the next day. i had 2 passports worth of documentation of my travels and lived in the united states for 28 years, but they wanted more proof of me living there for "5years" hehe. I thought they would have Info like that at thier fingertips. makes you wonder what all those computers there are for :angry:

Garbage in garbage out I say!!

I would not push the issue of the child being proof of a marriage. It does not require marriage to provide a child. Having his US passport and birth certicicate with you both being listed as parents should be enough proof. You are a family and should act like one (not acting like one is saying "because we have a baby=we have a releatinship").If you push it, GZ may just ask for a DNA test and really delay things.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/iv_faq.html

What should I do if I am asked to perform a DNA test?

At your visa interview, the Consulate may require that you take a DNA test to establish your claimed biological relationship. At that time, we will provide you this notice.

I really agree with this...

A baby is primarily proof you had sex together... but DNA will only prove whether it's truly yours :roller: No need to make this some compelling issue... it's just over thinking it on some level.

She will interview alone and her sense of confidence and comfort in the issues is what they sense... They will probably still ask more questions about you than the baby...

anyway, congrats on the baby :boxer:

As others have stated already, baby is wonderful but not enough for the VO's at all. There was several threads lately about CFL memebers getting a blue slip because they went in unprepared because they figured being married was enough evidence itself! I would go in like a K-1 and be ready to prove anything and hopefully have to prove nothing! :lol:

yeh, when i went to get my sons US passport, i called the consulate 3 times to make sure i have everything needed to be sure. when i got there they asked for one more doc. so i got it faxed over from the states and had to go back the next day. i had 2 passports worth of documentation of my travels and lived in the united states for 28 years, but they wanted more proof of me living there for "5years" hehe. I thought they would have Info like that at thier fingertips. makes you wonder what all those computers there are for :huh:

Garbage in garbage out I say!!

The computers are there so they can find out information about you. The reason you must provide them information they might already have about you is simple. It is another check to make sure you are who you say you are. I saw a clip on "Stolen and Fake" passports last night. Stolen passports are quite common. Just cause someone shows up at the American consulate with a passport that seems to resemble them, doesn't mean this person is really a USC. They must put you through some checks, rechecks to make sure. These might seems stupid to us, but it really helps the consulate weed out those kind of passports.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)