On the Road in China...

Well I know when you think of traveling in China that "road trip" is not the first thing to pop into your mind... :bangin: But heck why not? Even the Chinese are starting to do it. We watched a news segment recently about 5 middle-aged male friends who have a van and have traveled all over China together. The driver is a mechanic, they have a photographer, a cook, etc, and have thoroughly enjoyed their travels. The van has been outfitted like a primitive camper with a bed in the back and storage cubbies built in.

We hope to travel by car also after we retire there (yeah I know JJ another one of Roger's dream sequences... :crutch: ). It is 1500 km between our two cities of Yuxi, Yunnan and Qionghai, Hainan and it appears that there are very good roads the whole way to Zhanjiang or Beihai where we could catch a fairy to Hainan. The shortest route goes through Nanning so there would be plenty to see and it should be very doable in two days or as long as we wished with side trips.

So look for the green Citroen with the US and PRC flag stickers on the back and the nebbish in the back window... :Dah: and we'll see you on the road in China... :D

Well I know when you think of traveling in China that "road trip" is not the first thing to pop into your mind... :bangin: But heck why not? Even the Chinese are starting to do it. We watched a news segment recently about 5 middle-aged male friends who have a van and have traveled all over China together. The driver is a mechanic, they have a photographer, a cook, etc, and have thoroughly enjoyed their travels. The van has been outfitted like a primitive camper with a bed in the back and storage cubbies built in.

We hope to travel by car also after we retire there (yeah I know JJ another one of Roger's dream sequences... :crutch: ). It is 1500 km between our two cities of Yuxi, Yunnan and Qionghai, Hainan and it appears that there are very good roads the whole way to Zhanjiang or Beihai where we could catch a fairy to Hainan. The shortest route goes through Nanning so there would be plenty to see and it should be very doable in two days or as long as we wished with side trips.

So look for the green Citroen with the US and PRC flag stickers on the back and the nebbish in the back window... :D and we'll see you on the road in China... :D

So this is really a fairy? :Dah:

Well I know when you think of traveling in China that "road trip" is not the first thing to pop into your mind... :Dah: But heck why not? Even the Chinese are starting to do it. We watched a news segment recently about 5 middle-aged male friends who have a van and have traveled all over China together. The driver is a mechanic, they have a photographer, a cook, etc, and have thoroughly enjoyed their travels. The van has been outfitted like a primitive camper with a bed in the back and storage cubbies built in.

So look for the green Citroen with the US and PRC flag stickers on the back and the nebbish in the back window... :D and we'll see you on the road in China... :D

So this is really a fairy? :D

Well I am NOT going to buy an Amphicar... :bangin:

Well I know when you think of traveling in China that "road trip" is not the first thing to pop into your mind... :D But heck why not? Even the Chinese are starting to do it. We watched a news segment recently about 5 middle-aged male friends who have a van and have traveled all over China together. The driver is a mechanic, they have a photographer, a cook, etc, and have thoroughly enjoyed their travels. The van has been outfitted like a primitive camper with a bed in the back and storage cubbies built in.

So look for the green Citroen with the US and PRC flag stickers on the back and the nebbish in the back window... :huh: and we'll see you on the road in China... :D

Well I am NOT going to buy an Amphicar... :Dah:

But seriously Charles having lived in San Francisco where we had plenty of both... :bangin: I do know the difference... :D I was just checking to see if anybody actually reads my stuff... :D

Well I know when you think of traveling in China that "road trip" is not the first thing to pop into your mind... :D But heck why not? Even the Chinese are starting to do it. We watched a news segment recently about 5 middle-aged male friends who have a van and have traveled all over China together. The driver is a mechanic, they have a photographer, a cook, etc, and have thoroughly enjoyed their travels. The van has been outfitted like a primitive camper with a bed in the back and storage cubbies built in.

Well I am NOT going to buy an Amphicar... :Dah:

But seriously Charles having lived in San Francisco where we had plenty of both... :bangin: I do know the difference... :D I was just checking to see if anybody actually reads my stuff... :D

:huh: It's good to hear that you were not really wanting to catch a fairy to Hainan. You konw them thar fairy tail rides might get a little hairy. :D

I also plan to drive across china. I think maybe from Shanghai to Urumqi, or into Tibet.

Don you have to read Paul Theroux's "Riding the Iron Rooster". He traveled all over China by train in the 1980s and also hired cars and drivers to get to Tibet...It took like weeks... :clapping:

Well I know when you think of traveling in China that "road trip" is not the first thing to pop into your mind... :clapping: But heck why not? Even the Chinese are starting to do it. We watched a news segment recently about 5 middle-aged male friends who have a van and have traveled all over China together. The driver is a mechanic, they have a photographer, a cook, etc, and have thoroughly enjoyed their travels. The van has been outfitted like a primitive camper with a bed in the back and storage cubbies built in.

We hope to travel by car also after we retire there (yeah I know JJ another one of Roger's dream sequences... :clapping: ). It is 1500 km between our two cities of Yuxi, Yunnan and Qionghai, Hainan and it appears that there are very good roads the whole way to Zhanjiang or Beihai where we could catch a fairy to Hainan. The shortest route goes through Nanning so there would be plenty to see and it should be very doable in two days or as long as we wished with side trips.

So look for the green Citroen with the US and PRC flag stickers on the back and the nebbish in the back window... :ok: and we'll see you on the road in China... :ok:

Do you need a photographer and Webmaster?

Well I know when you think of traveling in China that "road trip" is not the first thing to pop into your mind... :ok: But heck why not? Even the Chinese are starting to do it. We watched a news segment recently about 5 middle-aged male friends who have a van and have traveled all over China together. The driver is a mechanic, they have a photographer, a cook, etc, and have thoroughly enjoyed their travels. The van has been outfitted like a primitive camper with a bed in the back and storage cubbies built in.

We hope to travel by car also after we retire there (yeah I know JJ another one of Roger's dream sequences... :clapping: ). It is 1500 km between our two cities of Yuxi, Yunnan and Qionghai, Hainan and it appears that there are very good roads the whole way to Zhanjiang or Beihai where we could catch a fairy to Hainan. The shortest route goes through Nanning so there would be plenty to see and it should be very doable in two days or as long as we wished with side trips.

So look for the green Citroen with the US and PRC flag stickers on the back and the nebbish in the back window... :o and we'll see you on the road in China... :P

Do you need a photographer and Webmaster?

Gosh Jimi the Citroen's not very big... :ok: so far we have the driver...laopo... :D being the PRC person and all... and me the navigator...because truth be told my beautiful, smart wife cannot read a map to save her life... :clapping:

I also plan to drive across china. I think maybe from Shanghai to Urumqi, or into Tibet.

Don you have to read Paul Theroux's "Riding the Iron Rooster". He traveled all over China by train in the 1980s and also hired cars and drivers to get to Tibet...It took like weeks... :clapping:

I think Highway 312 will do okay. It even goes past urumqi. We can drive that fairly quick now. Less than a week. Every time i land in Shanghai and take taxi out of airport, I see the signs for 312 and dream of the day i can drive the road way out west.

Gosh Jimi the Citroen's not very big... :xmastree: so far we have the driver...laopo... :roller: being the PRC person and all... and me the navigator...because truth be told my beautiful, smart wife cannot read a map to save her life... :headbang:

Just remember the first man-rule of the road: Under NO circumstances are you allowed to stop and ask for directions. :D

And don't forget the Chinese man-rules....

Left hand on the steering wheel, right hand on the horn, pedal to the medal, any lane is okay, passing on the sidewalk is allowable, pedestrians DO NOT have the right-of-way, and Dale "Senior's" (bump and push) school of NASCAR driving is the prefered way to quickly cut through those pesky crowded streets.

Fair dinkum, I say....

tsap seui