Notarize Copy of Passport

It does not need to be, the only thing notarized that we provided to the consulate was the I-134 form.

I was in Guangzhou for the visa interview so I gave my fiancee my passport to take into the interview.

The Notary Public told me that she or any others was not allowed to notarize the copy of my passport. Is she right? If so, how can get it notarized?

what about getting the passport (her pasport) notarized for filing taxes?

filing married while she is still in China.

But we are not married, yet.

The Notary Public told me that she or any others was not allowed to notarize the copy of my passport. Is she right? If so, how can get it notarized?

what about getting the passport (her pasport) notarized for filing taxes?

filing married while she is still in China.

As Dan stated, not required.

I do find it odd though that the notary public you asked would not notarize it.

Did you take your original passport with you for her to verify that the copy you made was actually of the passport you now possess?

I did have mine notarized as many have done. She notarized only the page that had my photo on it, but I have read where many here have had each and every page notarized.

I see no reason for her to deny you what you asked of her. If you feel better with the notarized copy, seek another notary to notarize it.

As I was in GUZ with my SO for the interview my passport was presented to the VO along with hers. He did not even look at it. Handed it back to her and never looked at the colored, notarized copy, although I never would have left home without it.

Clayton

Edited by clayton2103 (see edit history)

Like Clayton said, go to another Notary public. They can do it. I never had my passport copies notarized but I did have copies of my wife's and her daughter's Chinese passport biographic pages notarized by a Notary public for use in filing the W-7 for tax purposes.

The moral to this thread is; "at first you don't succeed- try, try again!" :rolleyes:

Guest Rob & Jin

Thats pretty weired, never heard that before about a passport. I know they wont notarize a certificate of nationalization, as its says on it is illegal to make copies of it ( funny thing USCIS said I had to for the I-129f though) . I agree just go to a different one if you want this. :blink:

It was not like she was unwilling to do it. She is a personal friend of mine. She showed me a booklet from the State of Maryland to justify her decision. I will definitely ask for a 2nd opinion. In addition, I plan to be with SO for her interview.

Thank you all for your inputs.

Try having her notorize this. Note the words true copy.

TRUE COPY OF USA PASSPORT FOR XXX XXX XXX.

PASSPORT NUMBER XXXXXXXXX.

ISSUED 01/03/2003.

EXPIRES 01/03/2013.

I CERTIFY THAT THIS IS A TRUE COPY OF THE PASSPORT AND VISA¡¯S BELONGING TO XXX XXX XXX. SWORN BEFORE ME ON THIS ____ DAY OF __________, 2007 AT __________________________________

___________________________ NOTARY PUBLIC.

MY COMMISSION EXPIRES ON ______________________.

NOTARY SEAL/STAMP_________________

I made a color copy of mine then had my signature notarized on the same page as the passport. It only takes up a small portion of a normal 8 1/2 by 11 copy paper!! B) I also added my ticket stubs to the copy for each of the three trips!! :signthankspin:

I just had a copy of my passport notarized at the embassy in Beijing. The woman was reluctant to do it at first, but then I explained that it was just a pre-caution for the interview. She threw away the copy I had made already, made a new copy and sealed it together notarizing the front page.

I just had a copy of my passport notarized at the embassy in Beijing. The woman was reluctant to do it at first, but then I explained that it was just a pre-caution for the interview. She threw away the copy I had made already, made a new copy and sealed it together notarizing the front page.

You know these people are acting like the person asking for the copy to be notarized is going to go and take that and try to make a fake passport wit it. :huh:

Black and while copies are allowed and can be notorized. However, you are not supposed to even make copies in color of government issued ID's... too easy to counterfeit... just like money (which we are also not allowed to make color copies of).

I thought it was illegal to copy money, color or not. The old money changers of the past use to give change out with one sided black and white copies of dollar bills.

I have had my passport, color copy, notarized a couple of times, here in California.

I have had my wife and daughter's PRC passports notarized here too. I have never had a problem/question in this regard.

Further, on Nov. 23rd, USCONGUZ made a post herein regarding the ACH.

Following is a portion of that post: ".....If you want to prove that you returned to China for your fiance(e)/spouse's interview, just ask them to take your passport or a notarized photocopy of the entire passport to the interview with them....."