Which route do you recommend?

Interestingly (perhaps), the cost for a "DCF" thing appears to be about $800 or so. We had to pay about $355 in Beijing, and we must fork over about 3300 RMB to the Consulate in Guangzhou at the time of the interview. So, it appears, at least, as if the fee structure is somewhat related to the processing work. (It is probably easier ~ and cheaper ~ for the government to process everything here in China).

Waiting a year, then applying for the IR-1 sounds like a great idea. A ten-year green card is certainly the way to go.

Jesus christ! It's $2000 for AOS I-485+Supplement A Form :P

I don't think that's correct. Someone who has done it under the new fee structure will come along and clarify it, I'm sure.

Interestingly (perhaps), the cost for a "DCF" thing appears to be about $800 or so. We had to pay about $355 in Beijing, and we must fork over about 3300 RMB to the Consulate in Guangzhou at the time of the interview. So, it appears, at least, as if the fee structure is somewhat related to the processing work. (It is probably easier ~ and cheaper ~ for the government to process everything here in China).

Waiting a year, then applying for the IR-1 sounds like a great idea. A ten-year green card is certainly the way to go.

Jesus christ! It's $2000 for AOS I-485+Supplement A Form :blink:

I don't think that's correct. Someone who has done it under the new fee structure will come along and clarify it, I'm sure.

The problem is that they would not qualify for DCF filing. She would have to be living in China with the appropriate type of visa or Chinese green card. She is now in school and working as well in the US.

I agree with Jim, K1 is the best route. I used it and I am glad I did. Yeah, it might cost a little more, but I met many waiting on a K3 visa who were going on 18 months. We did ours at the time in 10 months. That extra time together is priceless.

Another place I agree with Jim is where to get married. You are both young, your whole life is ahead of you. Decisions you make now can affect you later in life. The benefits of having a US Marriage Certificate should make it easier in future legal issues. I have used Lisa's in several places where it just made it easy having that document.

The problem is that they would not qualify for DCF filing. She would have to be living in China with the appropriate type of visa or Chinese green card. She is now in school and working as well in the US.

I agree with Jim, K1 is the best route. I used it and I am glad I did. Yeah, it might cost a little more, but I met many waiting on a K3 visa who were going on 18 months. We did ours at the time in 10 months. That extra time together is priceless.

Another place I agree with Jim is where to get married. You are both young, your whole life is ahead of you. Decisions you make now can affect you later in life. The benefits of having a US Marriage Certificate should make it easier in future legal issues. I have used Lisa's in several places where it just made it easy having that document.

Lisa's? Tell me more. :)

Indeed, they don't qualify for a "DCF" route. I was only addressing the cost issue. I was trying (unsuccessfully, I suppose) to point out that the fees and final costs of various visa routes are different.

Yes, having an American marriage certificate has it's advantages.

And I will be the 2nd.............WELCOME!!! :)

:D Yay. Thank you thank you! :P

Okay so let me be the third. Welcome to CFL.

Also regarding marriage license. The first place I used it was at the SSN office. Normally they have to wait for USCIS to provide immigration status. This can take a long time. They processed my wife's since she was K1 just off of the marriage license. They did add a comment about work needing to be authorized by DHS which we got removed later. After that, we were able to get her an Oregon ID card. The marriage certificate and my license showing where we lived was all they needed as for proof of residency. All this was done before we filed for AOS.

Later I used the marriage license and an affidavit from me to add her to the deed of our house. After which we refianced to get money for her new business venture. So having a US marriage certificate does have it's benefits.