Chinese space program

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/11/26/c...ref=mpstoryview

But there could be a lot more at stake than just lunar boasting rights. It's unlikely the Chinese will land at Tranquility Base and pull down the Stars and Stripes. But the goal could be mining resources. One powerful, potential fuel source is helium-3. Helium-3 originated from the sun and was deposited in the moon's soil by the solar wind. It is estimated there are up to two million tons on the moon, and virtually none on Earth.

"If we can ever get helium-3 and helium-3 to fuse together it is what we call nuclear power without nuclear waste -- there is no radioactivity associated with that reactor," says Professor Gerald Kulcinski, an expert in helium from the University of Wisconsin.

The key though, says Kulcinski, will be developing a fusion reactor, which he says could be done within 15 to 20 years, in tandem with a program to establish a permanent human presence on the moon. Just four tons of helium-3 would be enough to supply all the power needs for the United States for a year, two shuttle payloads according to Kulcinski.

Analysts believe the lure of such potent resources is one of the reasons behind China's exploration of space. State media reported last month details of a new rocket with enough thrust to put a space station into orbit. When it's developed, the Long March 5 will have almost three times the power of existing rockets.

Something I have never heard of before ....The moon as an energy source.

I say more "power" to 'em. I imagine the costs of such an endeavour would be very high. If they can pull it off, maybe we can too.

The cost will be very high, but in the long run (or even mid-term) a very viable alternative to burning up the carbon on Planet Earth.

We had BETTER be on the ball with this, although there is plenty to go around. At 4 tons per year (for us), there is a half-million year supply up there; we could solve a lot of problems.

A very interesting and cool idea.

I say more "power" to 'em. I imagine the costs of such an endeavour would be very high. If they can pull it off, maybe we can too.

The cost will be very high, but in the long run (or even mid-term) a very viable alternative to burning up the carbon on Planet Earth.

We had BETTER be on the ball with this, although there is plenty to go around. At 4 tons per year (for us), there is a half-million year supply up there; we could solve a lot of problems.

Heck, let the Chinese, heck more power (pun intended) to anyone who can harvest the moon's energy and sell it to us and the rest of the world.

But, does anyone get the idea of: Whoever controls the world's energy will also control the world. ? :rolleyes:

It would be of interest to know what form the helium takes - it obviously doesn't form an atmosphere.

That could affect the commercial viability.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/11/26/c...ref=mpstoryview

But there could be a lot more at stake than just lunar boasting rights. It's unlikely the Chinese will land at Tranquility Base and pull down the Stars and Stripes. But the goal could be mining resources. One powerful, potential fuel source is helium-3. Helium-3 originated from the sun and was deposited in the moon's soil by the solar wind. It is estimated there are up to two million tons on the moon, and virtually none on Earth.

"If we can ever get helium-3 and helium-3 to fuse together it is what we call nuclear power without nuclear waste -- there is no radioactivity associated with that reactor," says Professor Gerald Kulcinski, an expert in helium from the University of Wisconsin.

The key though, says Kulcinski, will be developing a fusion reactor, which he says could be done within 15 to 20 years, in tandem with a program to establish a permanent human presence on the moon. Just four tons of helium-3 would be enough to supply all the power needs for the United States for a year, two shuttle payloads according to Kulcinski.

Analysts believe the lure of such potent resources is one of the reasons behind China's exploration of space. State media reported last month details of a new rocket with enough thrust to put a space station into orbit. When it's developed, the Long March 5 will have almost three times the power of existing rockets.

Something I have never heard of before ....The moon as an energy source.

Interesting read for sure, but who knows what will happen??

We can not even get Americans to buy E-85 as an alternate fuel!! :)

Oh we can pull it off...........

No doubt about that, we just need the funding to be put back into the space program. If the Chinese start upping the stakes as we could say from the US point of view it my happen. The big problem is no one sees the need to dump money into the Space Program, most just think it's a waist of time and money.

Lets face it our space program is not more than a political chess piece to be played with by our government. The boys at NASA have their hands tied (hog tied that is). The shuttle is a flying white elephant that should have been replaced 15 to 20 years ago. It's late 60's design technology patched and re patched. What we need to do is encourage private industry to push harder in the space development. We have smart people in NASA, but they have little to no money to play with. And the current program eats money that could be used towards better development. The shuttle is the cause of this.

:D