Ugly American clothes

Yesterday was Black Friday. The day with all the ads. The day with all the fun shopping. The day with all the long lines.

My wife loved to shop for clothes in Shenzhen.

After this weekend of us visiting Macy's, KOHL's and JCPenny's she hates clothes shopping here. The reason isn't that she is petite and about 5' tall. She can find clothes that fit her body in the petite or junior section. The main and overwhelming reason is that she has said there are stores filled with clothes made in ugly colors, and when you do find something nice to wear there are 1-2 small sizes with the rest of the rack being L, XL, XXL. Who buys these giant sized clothes?

I know Americans are fatter than most people from asian countries but this weekend has really opened my eyes and brought tears to hers. We are supposedly a first world nation and the place many people want to come to live. Americans as a general sweeping of the brush are a bunch of overweight shoppers with a binge for over-sized ugly clothes that are really over-priced.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to shopping in the US, we found that many of the petite supplies are designed for smaller versions of the American woman. The size you are looking for is what the high school girls wear.

Try GAP, Macy's, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Abercrombie & Fitch and New York & Company.

Also if you get a credit card from Old Navy you get a 10% coupon for Old Navy, Gap and Banana Republic. Just watch the interest rate they pop you with and pay it off when the bill comes. It also gives you 5% rewards to spend in their stores, basically $10 for every $200 you spend. That's enough to warm any Chinese womans heart. :rolleyes:

Ahhh, Bini isn't petite (she isn't large, but she is 5'5") and she likes black (she DOES look good in black!!!). Maybe I can take her to "Hot Topic"?? :rolleyes:

If clothes here are too expensive, maybe we'll just return to China every 6 months for a new wardrobe; even with airfare, that might be cheaper! My gal LOVES her clothes shopping, and I LOVE to see her smile.

I wish I had this problem now instead of having to wait for her to arrive in the States. Everything is relative...

Best Regards

Edited by DMikeS4321 (see edit history)
After this weekend of us visiting Macy's, KOHL's and JCPenny's she hates clothes shopping here. The reason isn't that she is petite and about 5' tall. She can find clothes that fit her body in the petite or junior section. The main and overwhelming reason is that she has said there are stores filled with clothes made in ugly colors, and when you do find something nice to wear there are 1-2 small sizes with the rest of the rack being L, XL, XXL. Who buys these giant sized clothes?

David thats strange cuz,

Emma has found some nice cloths at Kohls, Foleys and Old Navy

and even at Ross....

It may take her HOURS before she finds that one "top, jeans, pants or dress, etc" but before she leaves that store I promise you she has looked at every thing once, twice, three times. And has asked me 10 times what I thing about something....

yeap she asking me like I know bout colors and most times her questions or a loaded questions. No matter what I say its the wrong answer

Its all good cuz she still loves me.... why I ain't sure?

Me I can be in out in a matter of a few minutes... ok 30 minutes tops

David thats strange cuz,

Emma has found some nice cloths at Kohls, Foleys and Old Navy

and even at Ross....

It may take her HOURS before she finds that one "top, jeans, pants or dress, etc" but before she leaves that store I promise you she has looked at every thing once, twice, three times. And has asked me 10 times what I thing about something....

yeap she asking me like I know bout colors and most times her questions or a loaded questions. No matter what I say its the wrong answer

Its all good cuz she still loves me.... why I ain't sure?

Me I can be in out in a matter of a few minutes... ok 30 minutes tops

30 minutes? Hell, I can be out in a matter of a few minutes. 10 minutes tops...

Yes, it may take her HOURS to find that one "top, jeans, pants or dress, etc" and she has asked me "what do you think of this?" She asking me like I know bout colors.

Have you seen that commerical with the guy painting the woman's toe nails? Then the announcer says, "Go buy her jewelry because you aren't *that* guy." Now I know it ain't P.C. to say what I really think they are inferring about that guy Bobby but I'm thinking "those *that* guys" must be wired differently.

Yep, shopping for clothes for the girls is a challenge.

They can wear some S but mostly XS. Er Mei fits into Juniors nicely but Lao Po is border line tall for Juniors.

We have found things at Kohl's, JC Penny's, and Mervyns. I don't see anyone mentioning Target ... they sometimes have the right size. Old Navy for us has been devoid of style. Express has some nice clothing as does Nordstrom's Rack ... and of course so does Nordstrom's but it's pricey.

It is a special challenge for most Chinese women to buy grown up looking clothes in your typical American department stores.

We are fortunate that there are some Chinese "department" stores that cater exclusively to Chinese customers (sizes). But still, there's nothing like taking Leiqin or other Chinese friends to an American Mall and watching them go for the hunt.

Sure, there are more plus size American women. And, most clothes on the American store's racks are plus sizes. However, I have yet to encounter any thin Asian woman walking around wearing what we would call "tents" or used to call Moo Moos because she could not find something size appropriate. :huh:

Heck, I'd just like to know why all those department stores think that all the American men have a 32" waist and 34" leg! :angry:

edit: Personally, I am at the age where I am beginning to wish they'd bring back the leisure suit. ;)

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

Lily has a degree in fashion design. Unfortunately, she hasn't found any clothing she likes here in Knoxville. Fortunately we brought, in my opinion....but could be, and probably am, wrong, a lifetime's supply of her new and used clothing in 6 large suitcases plus we shipped 500 pounds of household furnishings, new and used clothing, multiple handbags and shoes on a slow boat.

I take son to Goody's..................no problems :lol: