Cover letter with included documents?

When Sunshine went for her interview back on October 24, she suggested we prepare a cover letter to include all the items we have in our arsenal, and provide this to the VO. She mentioned many people advised to do this on 001.

I was against this idea.

Why? Because it is almost like telling the VO: "Here is what I have brought today. You can choose one of the documents I brought with me, but only from this list." This changes the control dynamic from the VO to the interviewee. Furthermore, it gives the VO the chance to ask for something that you don't have.

I can see the other side of the coin too: It lets the VO know the documents you brought with you, so if he needs one for further proof, he can know you have it ready. But it seems a bit contrived.

I think the interview setting is a bit like a trial. Perry Mason wouldn't do this, nor would any lawyer worth his salt if he/she didn't have to.

Any thoughts from others?

ILS

When Sunshine went for her interview back on October 24, she suggested we prepare a cover letter to include all the items we have in our arsenal, and provide this to the VO. She mentioned many people advised to do this on 001.

I was against this idea.

Why? Because it is almost like telling the VO: "Here is what I have brought today. You can choose one of the documents I brought with me, but only from this list." This changes the control dynamic from the VO to the interviewee. Furthermore, it gives the VO the chance to ask for something that you don't have.

I can see the other side of the coin too: It lets the VO know the documents you brought with you, so if he needs one for further proof, he can know you have it ready. But it seems a bit contrived.

I think the interview setting is a bit like a trial. Perry Mason wouldn't do this, nor would any lawyer worth his salt if he/she didn't have to.

Any thoughts from others?

ILS

Good point, ILS

It's kind of like tell them where to hit before the battle begin. Thanks for the post.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

They have been known to blueslip someone for things that were known to be in their possession, so it may not make any difference. If they want to issue a blueslip for whatever reason, they will.

Personally, I like the idea of offering just a little bit more than what they ask for - i.e., "Here it is - and would you like to see . . . also?" (such as the USC's passport, pictures with the parents, financial information that you have under control, etc.

It gives an impression of cooperation, and also that your kitchen sink is well-equipped, without disclosing its contents. You want to appear well-equipped, but without opening any doors that you can't close.

My info is in 3 Acco-clasped colored folders that each have 2 internal section dividers. I have a cover "page" on each section such as: 1st section: 2-134 Affidavits of support, letter from employer, pay stubs.

Next section (next to, and viewable from 1st section) 2006, 2005, 2004 Tax Transcripts.

I did this to make it easy for my gal to find things quickly and, if Visa Officer is viewing I-134's, he can easily see tax transcripts are right next door. Other sections and other folders are the same. One folder (green) financials, 2nd folder (red) Relationship evidence (letter of intent, evolution, photos, sample of e-mails, web chat, telephone records, screen captures, 2 DVD's. 3rd folder (blue) receipts, boarding passes, etc.

Again each "section" of each folder has a brief (2 or 3 bulleted lines) cover page for easy finding and to avoid fumbling through mountains of paperwork (and so important stuff is easily viewed by "other's" eyes if needed).

The folks I hired to help with initial K1 filing (I-129) had everything paper-clippped together in an exact sequence, with a cover page for every document required. I think that is how USCIS wish to receive these things. I am quite content with what I have put together... everything that could be asked for, is there, and easy to find. I felt my job was to make my honeys job easy, and to make VO's job easy. I think I have accomplished my goal. : )

By the way, each folder is no more than 1/2" thick. (although "red folder, because of photos, is about 5/8" thick).

Edited by michaelt (see edit history)

My info is in 3 Acco-clasped colored folders that each have 2 internal section dividers. I have a cover "page" on each section such as: 1st section: 2-134 Affidavits of support, letter from employer, pay stubs.

Next section (next to, and viewable from 1st section) 2006, 2005, 2004 Tax Transcripts.

I did this to make it easy for my gal to find things quickly and, if Visa Officer is viewing I-134's, he can easily see tax transcripts are right next door. Other sections and other folders are the same. One folder (green) financials, 2nd folder (red) Relationship evidence (letter of intent, evolution, photos, sample of e-mails, web chat, telephone records, screen captures, 2 DVD's. 3rd folder (blue) receipts, boarding passes, etc.

Again each "section" of each folder has a brief (2 or 3 bulleted lines) cover page for easy finding and to avoid fumbling through mountains of paperwork (and so important stuff is easily viewed by "other's" eyes if needed).

The folks I hired to help with initial K1 filing (I-129) had everything paper-clippped together in an exact sequence, with a cover page for every document required. I think that is how USCIS wish to receive these things. I am quite content with what I have put together... everything that could be asked for, is there, and easy to find. I felt my job was to make my honeys job easy, and to make VO's job easy. I think I have accomplished my goal. : )

By the way, each folder is no more than 1/2" thick. (although "red folder, because of photos, is about 5/8" thick).

Thanks Micheal for you details. I need to find myself some PINK folders to build my kitchen sink :Taking_photo:

Good luck on your interview,

Gino & Lulu

Actually, Michael, your approach is very good. You are helping your teammate by allowing her to have her information handy and stay organized.

What I disagreed with was presenting a list to the VO at the beginning of the interview, almost to suggest that he can choose from that list of documents only. On 001, some people suggest this approach. I am not sure if any CFLers have tried this in the past.

Actually, Michael, your approach is very good. You are helping your teammate by allowing her to have her information handy and stay organized.

What I disagreed with was presenting a list to the VO at the beginning of the interview, almost to suggest that he can choose from that list of documents only. On 001, some people suggest this approach. I am not sure if any CFLers have tried this in the past.

My gal was going to present THAT list during the opening PowerPoint presentation while she's taking down the trade show booth. : )

slap stick....time to go to bed!!!

Thanks Micheal for you details. I need to find myself some PINK folders to build my kitchen sink :D

Good luck on your interview,

Gino & Lulu

never flaunt it, just "think" it!!!

My gal was going to present THAT list during the opening PowerPoint presentation while she's taking down the trade show booth. : )

Funny big man, funny!! Let me know how your idea works, I left my Mrs. the start of our "sink" when we were in Beijing. I put several outlines in it to help her not the VO! I figured it would be easier for her if organized and simple.

134 in a envelope by itself.

NOA1 & 2

1st trip stuff pics, ticket stubs, passport copy

2nd trip ditto

3rd trip same

O'Hare airport, where she will fly into

My towns home page

Church home page well you know what that is for

msn e-mails

regular e-mails

photos of my sons with coats she bought for them

more extra pics

That's a great point too, and I agree. Thank you for sharing. If they're in a "blue" mode, we've made the missing (we'll call it, "blue-able") item(s) obvious.

The most our VO will see at one time is a couple of required documents listed on a cover page. (there are many other un-seen sections and cover pages)

My gal HAS been to 001, so I must remind her of this. From the beginning, I have suggested (I never "tell" her anything!) that she "only give them what they ask for."

Thanks again. : )

Funny big man, funny!! Let me know how your idea works, I left my Mrs. the start of our "sink" when we were in Beijing. I put several outlines in it to help her not the VO! I figured it would be easier for her if organized and simple.

NOA1 & 2

2nd trip ditto

3rd trip same

My towns home page

msn e-mails

regular e-mails

more extra pics

Seems pretty thorough to me...looks like you got it together!! Just a thought? NOA1 and NOA2....copies I hope? I think originals should be safe guarded? I have color copies (notarized...cause I'm anal) but hand carrying originals as backup.

Good luck!!!

NOA1 & 2

2nd trip ditto

3rd trip same

My towns home page

msn e-mails

regular e-mails

more extra pics

Seems pretty thorough to me...looks like you got it together!! Just a thought? NOA1 and NOA2....copies I hope? I think originals should be safe guarded? I have color copies (notarized...cause I'm anal) but hand carrying originals as backup.

Good luck!!!

Did the same, my copies look as good as the original! :blink: