Gift ideas??

These are all such great ideas, I'm writing down everything (except the dowry thing...sorry...no can do right now!!) Planned on giving my gal quite a bit of money when she first arrives so she feels independent and more comfortable. Expect to send money to her family from time to time, but really can't handle dowry at this time. Honestly didn't think it was necessary, but I do expect a large side business order in May, and planned on sending decent amount then.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As suggested above, pistachios is a good, safe choice. I'd also recommend macadamia nuts. It's called "Hawaii Nut" in China.

Centrum (multivitamin) is always a hit with older folks.

Chocolate is always a good choice as well, but make sure it's dark chocolate. Chinese people like the less sweeter dark chocolate more than the very sweet milk chocolate we're more use to.

I don't know how old Shushu is, but if she's old enough, I'm sure she'd appreciate an i-Pod Mini. ($149) :D

Mama and Baba are 51. Would Centrum be insulting?

No, anything that shows you want to help their health is fine. Get a men's version and a woman's version and point out the difference. On one of my early trips I found out that baba had been taking mama's vitamins (I do the Centrum clone from Costco). With a straight face I carefully explained to him that mama's vitamins would cause his "little brother" to shrink and he would grow breasts ... he was horror struck. When we told him I was joking and gave him some Centrum clone for Men we all laughed so hard our sides hurt.

Now the whole dang family expects vitamins every time we visit. We are happy to provide them.

That's sooo funny!!!

My list grows. Shall I expect problems with the folks at customs? Male stuff would look like mine. Perfume and stuff that grows breasts could be a problem.... : )

As suggested above, pistachios is a good, safe choice. I'd also recommend macadamia nuts. It's called "Hawaii Nut" in China.

Chocolate is always a good choice as well, but make sure it's dark chocolate. Chinese people like the less sweeter dark chocolate more than the very sweet milk chocolate we're more use to.

I don't know how old Shushu is, but if she's old enough, I'm sure she'd appreciate an i-Pod Mini. ($149) :D

No, it's not insulting. :D Even 20-30 year olds would appreciate Centrum.

Of course, you can try your luck with giving Centrum Silver and see their reaction. B)

No, it's not insulting. :blink: Even 20-30 year olds would appreciate Centrum.

Of course, you can try your luck with giving Centrum Silver and see their reaction. :P

That's exactly what I was thinking when Centrum was suggested. That's TV brain-washing I guess!!!

I don't know how old Shushu is, but if she's old enough, I'm sure she'd appreciate an i-Pod Mini. ($149) :blink:

Nope!! Centrum is a good choice.

since her fathers passing, my fiancee's social life revolves more around her friends and when i go to visit, always to do many things with her friends..go to their homes and out for dinner and just to walk in the city and shop.....so many things at there, same as here....but, there are some things that you will not see in the china.....or are somethings that are sought after and the prices are too high....simple things that i have found are very popular are things like calendars(not from the mall or bookstores, but from places like taverns, places of business etc....and also ashtrays from same places and the women really like to get the very nice perfume....and another thing my fiancee' likes is when i bring several big bags of beef jerky :blink: hahaha, and her friends(men and women alike) also like the jerky too :D......memorabilia, seems is always good....things they never to see or can get....just think about the kind of things you would get to bring back home with you...i like to bring the ashtrays and the glasses from the restuarants home with me...and they are always very happy to give to me or at a very very low cost....just some things to think about

Can you recommend a good perfume that is admired, yet not available in China?? Seriously, I'm terrible at that sort of thing!

(after I get the perfume, I'm going to Denny's to steal all the ashtrays, salt shakers, and sweet and low like the rest of the local retirees.... : )

This is a very personal choice. I always ask Lulu what does she like and I buy it for her. She like YSL but your girl may not. Just ask her. The US almond are pretty expensive there too so I gave Lulu's parents some of those... Make sure you tell them Kirkland is the best US brand :P

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

I don't know how old Shushu is, but if she's old enough, I'm sure she'd appreciate an i-Pod Mini. ($149) :blink:

What size do you get them, seeing as you have customs to go through and all of that?

What size do you get them, seeing as you have customs to go through and all of that?

Hi Corbin

I bought those (and most other stuffs besides perfume and make-ups) from Costco, the bigger the better (Make sure you tell them KIRKLAND is the most expensive brand in US) :). I have only been to Beijing, Shanghai (both HongKo and PuDong) and I never have problem with the custom. You will fill out a declaration form and I think you don't need to claim if the value is under certain value. I have never entered China from HK so you may need to find that out from K1. He seems to know that well.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

since her fathers passing, my fiancee's social life revolves more around her friends and when i go to visit, always to do many things with her friends..go to their homes and out for dinner and just to walk in the city and shop.....so many things at there, same as here....but, there are some things that you will not see in the china.....or are somethings that are sought after and the prices are too high....simple things that i have found are very popular are things like calendars(not from the mall or bookstores, but from places like taverns, places of business etc....and also ashtrays from same places and the women really like to get the very nice perfume....and another thing my fiancee' likes is when i bring several big bags of beef jerky :lol: hahaha, and her friends(men and women alike) also like the jerky too :o......memorabilia, seems is always good....things they never to see or can get....just think about the kind of things you would get to bring back home with you...i like to bring the ashtrays and the glasses from the restuarants home with me...and they are always very happy to give to me or at a very very low cost....just some things to think about

Can you recommend a good perfume that is admired, yet not available in China?? Seriously, I'm terrible at that sort of thing!

(after I get the perfume, I'm going to Denny's to steal all the ashtrays, salt shakers, and sweet and low like the rest of the local retirees.... : )

ok..i tell ya..i took 5 different perfumes for her and friends....she and her best friend got to check them out and get first pick..and the one they both liked the best was "Donna Karen Cashmere Mist"....and remember, it must be in a checked luggage...cannot carry on....and one more thing...pleasssssssse...not dennys....classier places...private owner places that have the good quality merchandise :greenblob: hahahaha

American Ginseng? The pill or the herb?

Try to find Wisconsin ginseng in the root form. It's supposed to be some of the best in the world. Hard to get in China. Maybe try a local Asian market? I ordered mine online but I don't think you have enough time to get it before you leave.

GNC has it as well as other quality vitamin stores.