Gift ideas??

Most Chinese like electronic stuffs and watches. Not a Rolex, Michael. I'll say a Seiko (between 100-150) from Costco will be good enough.

I would say generally anything with time is a bad choice. Chinese (and generally Asians) discourage gift of clocks/ watches, since it can be interepreted as bad luck if it breaks (your time with them is up metaphorically).

On my next visit i plan on bringing the following:

For my in-laws, fish-oil pills and nutrional supplements.

For my sister-in-law, i will be bringing chocolate for her family and some Nike clothers for her daughter.

For my brother-in-law, i will be getting some computer accessories (keyboard and mouse).

For my wife, well...i won't tell you what i'm getting her! :angry:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Chinese like electronic stuffs and watches. Not a Rolex, Michael. I'll say a Seiko (between 100-150) from Costco will be good enough.

I would say generally anything with time is a bad choice. Chinese (and generally Asians) discourage gift of clocks/ watches, since it can be interepreted as bad luck if it breaks (your time with them is up metaphorically).

On my next visit i plan on bringing the following:

For my in-laws, fish-oil pills and nutrional supplements.

For my sister-in-law, i will be bringing chocolate for her family and some Nike clothers for her daughter.

For my brother-in-law, i will be getting some computer accessories (keyboard and mouse).

For my wife, well...i won't tell you what i'm getting her! :blink:

I have always wondered if that is really a gift for her or for you.

:unsure: <_< That's weird... I am a born Chinese who can speak, read, write prefect Chinese, lived in Taiwan for 23 years and have tons of Chinese friends but I have never heard about it's bad luck to give a watch as gift. Thanks for point that out. :). Got to tell my Chinese Lulu don't ask for a watch next time :)

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Edited by hi5pro (see edit history)

:unsure: <_< That's weird... I am a born Chinese who can speak, read, write prefect Chinese, lived in Taiwan for 23 years and have tons of Chinese friends but I have never heard about it's bad luck to give a watch as gift. Thanks for point that out. :). Got to tell my Chinese Lulu don't ask for a watch next time :)

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

I just polled my Chinese friends (students) from tonight's class. Unanimous: Watches are acceptable gifts. Clocks are not. :)

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

I just polled my Chinese friends (students) from tonight's class. Unanimous: Watches are acceptable gifts. Clocks are not. :)

Thank you, Dennis

Clock is a bad gift because of the Chinese pronunciation "送鐘" = "送終" which is very bad. Not because "it can be interpreted as bad luck if it breaks". Thanks again and now I can tell my Chinese Lulu that she can choose another watch as gift again :)

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Edited by hi5pro (see edit history)

since her fathers passing, my fiancee's social life revolves more around her friends and when i go to visit, always to do many things with her friends..go to their homes and out for dinner and just to walk in the city and shop.....so many things at there, same as here....but, there are some things that you will not see in the china.....or are somethings that are sought after and the prices are too high....simple things that i have found are very popular are things like calendars(not from the mall or bookstores, but from places like taverns, places of business etc....and also ashtrays from same places and the women really like to get the very nice perfume....and another thing my fiancee' likes is when i bring several big bags of beef jerky :cheering: hahaha, and her friends(men and women alike) also like the jerky too :cheering:......memorabilia, seems is always good....things they never to see or can get....just think about the kind of things you would get to bring back home with you...i like to bring the ashtrays and the glasses from the restuarants home with me...and they are always very happy to give to me or at a very very low cost....just some things to think about

since her fathers passing, my fiancee's social life revolves more around her friends and when i go to visit, always to do many things with her friends..go to their homes and out for dinner and just to walk in the city and shop.....so many things at there, same as here....but, there are some things that you will not see in the china.....or are somethings that are sought after and the prices are too high....simple things that i have found are very popular are things like calendars(not from the mall or bookstores, but from places like taverns, places of business etc....and also ashtrays from same places and the women really like to get the very nice perfume....and another thing my fiancee' likes is when i bring several big bags of beef jerky :cheering: hahaha, and her friends(men and women alike) also like the jerky too :cheering:......memorabilia, seems is always good....things they never to see or can get....just think about the kind of things you would get to bring back home with you...i like to bring the ashtrays and the glasses from the restuarants home with me...and they are always very happy to give to me or at a very very low cost....just some things to think about

and just i remember...books of matches from the restaurants, ink pens and pencils...sometimes the most simple things are the most novel...

Would this be considered a good gift?

http://www.cfbrss.com/images/gift.jpg

What's that for??

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

:D maybe is urn for ashes? :D :D ..just kidding corbin....maybe i just say what some others are thinking? :P

I think Corbin just wants to show us the love letter from Ada :D

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

:( :huh: That's weird... I am a born Chinese who can speak, read, write prefect Chinese, lived in Taiwan for 23 years and have tons of Chinese friends but I have never heard about it's bad luck to give a watch as gift. Thanks for point that out. :(. Got to tell my Chinese Lulu don't ask for a watch next time :(

Well then why are you asking for advice, you should know better than 99% of us lol....fwiw, I'm 50% chinese and my mother is 100% chinese and this was communicated to me by my parents as well as my wife and chinese friends...so oh well, whatever....

:( :huh: That's weird... I am a born Chinese who can speak, read, write prefect Chinese, lived in Taiwan for 23 years and have tons of Chinese friends but I have never heard about it's bad luck to give a watch as gift. Thanks for point that out. :(. Got to tell my Chinese Lulu don't ask for a watch next time :(

Well then why are you asking for advice, you should know better than 99% of us lol....fwiw, I'm 50% chinese and my mother is 100% chinese and this was communicated to me by my parents as well as my wife and chinese friends...so oh well, whatever....

:( I am not the OP :(

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

:D B) That's weird... I am a born Chinese who can speak, read, write prefect Chinese, lived in Taiwan for 23 years and have tons of Chinese friends but I have never heard about it's bad luck to give a watch as gift. Thanks for point that out. :) . Got to tell my Chinese Lulu don't ask for a watch next time :(

:( I am not the OP :D

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

many many common items here are very expensive in china. Electronics are available everywhere. Unless you are buying good brand names, Ipod or Toshiba computer than other items might be better. Good toothpaste, soap (special kind sold at Bath and body) many other common items can make good gifts. Vitamins, fish oil and other such items cost a lot in China and often are fake. I think once you know your fianc¨¦/wife better the common items often make the best gifts. Good make up and stuff too. Olay, Lancome Shisesdo often cost more in china, so buy them here for her.