Gift ideas??

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pistachios are a safe choice.

Don't forget that you should give $$$$$$ when you take her to the US.

Pistachios huh? I love pistachios...too much work though, sometimes!! Money is the norm huh? Quite understandable though. I'm sure she is a major contributor in the family. Just out of curiosity, what is considered not insulting? Hundreds? Thousands? Refinance my home? : )

I am sorry I forgot what city she is from?? ;) :D

Thank God not Palm Beach!! (Kaifeng)

Anyway I gave two $500.00 usd bills, and was told that was the norm. I looked up in a book of Chinese customs like always and it said somewhere between 500-2000 or so!!

I am also told when we leave they give that $$ back, will refuse sure mom and dad can use it!!

I'm sure they can too.

I won't be there when she leaves China. It will be a month after she gets her visa. Should I just send it to her parents to arrive a week before she leaves to come here? Must admit, money a bit tight right now due to home renovations, all expenses of this process (including her mom coming to interview, hotels, restaurants, night fun, my flight, AOS), but I will do anything that is right!!

American Ginseng? The pill or the herb?

Try to find Wisconsin ginseng in the root form. It's supposed to be some of the best in the world. Hard to get in China. Maybe try a local Asian market? I ordered mine online but I don't think you have enough time to get it before you leave.

Thank you Dave and Christine!! : )

You guys are great!!! Please keep your ideas coming!!! I only have a week before I fly to GUZ, and must go shopping this weekend. American Ginseng? The pill or the herb? No thoughts on candies, chocolates, wine, liquor, coffees or teas? (forgive me if I sound stupid!!!) I've asked my honey many times for ideas...she always say's nothing!!! Drives me nuts!!!

Thank you all : )

Remember when you give the gift it may be refused a couple times before it is taken. So don't be shocked.

I saw that when I was there in January. Very modest family. Refreshing! : ) I love doing for those, that don't "expect"!

A watch.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Really? Which watch? No seriously. Are watches desirable? Are we talking Rolex here? I thought posts would include candy and Scotch? BTW, I send my gal Godiva chocolates and I don't see her doing cart wheels?

Most Chinese like electronic stuffs and watches. Not a Rolex, Michael. I'll say a Seiko (between 100-150) from Costco will be good enough.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Never give a clock as a gift. Traditional superstitions regard this as counting the seconds to the recipient's death.

When or if a gift is given, it should be offered with two hands. Any gift offered with two hands should always be received with two hands.

Yeah.. you will see some mad Chinese if you give them clock.. :sosad:

Give clock as gift is call ËÍçŠ and it has the same sound as ËͽK which is very bad. Most of Chinese hand out the gift with both hands. It's a common respect.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Try to find Wisconsin ginseng in the root form. It's supposed to be some of the best in the world. Hard to get in China. Maybe try a local Asian market? I ordered mine online but I don't think you have enough time to get it before you leave.

This is a very good idea. They are popular.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Wisconsin Ginseng, is that for the family or for michaelt to put "lead" in his pencil!!!

:lol: :sosad:

Sorry my Mrs. was missing me much this morning and have not been the same since talking with her!! :P

As suggested above, pistachios is a good, safe choice. I'd also recommend macadamia nuts. It's called "Hawaii Nut" in China.

Centrum (multivitamin) is always a hit with older folks.

Chocolate is always a good choice as well, but make sure it's dark chocolate. Chinese people like the less sweeter dark chocolate more than the very sweet milk chocolate we're more use to.

I don't know how old Shushu is, but if she's old enough, I'm sure she'd appreciate an i-Pod Mini. ($149) :D

You guys are great!!! Please keep your ideas coming!!! I only have a week before I fly to GUZ, and must go shopping this weekend. American Ginseng? The pill or the herb? No thoughts on candies, chocolates, wine, liquor, coffees or teas? (forgive me if I sound stupid!!!) I've asked my honey many times for ideas...she always say's nothing!!! Drives me nuts!!!

Thank you all : )

Remember when you give the gift it may be refused a couple times before it is taken. So don't be shocked.

It's funny you should say that. Getting ideas is like pulling teeth. Giving gifts is like pulling teeth. Yet my last gifts to her for her birthday were opened early, and hardly spoken of (they were fun gifts!!!...camera...CD player...American CD's...CD's I compiled of her favorite music in China...stuffed animals..other fun things). Barely heard much feedback. Mysterious ladies, these gals of ours!

Hi Michael

Try something that's hard to get in China or hard to afford with her income. Not sure about the "refused a couple times", those are very old tradition and most of the Chinese now just take it and thank you. Lulu like US watches a lot because there are very few choices in China and they are much more expensive then here. Transformer Toy are very HOT in China right now if they have young kids in the family. Good luck.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

As suggested above, pistachios is a good, safe choice. I'd also recommend macadamia nuts. It's called "Hawaii Nut" in China.

Centrum (multivitamin) is always a hit with older folks.

Chocolate is always a good choice as well, but make sure it's dark chocolate. Chinese people like the less sweeter dark chocolate more than the very sweet milk chocolate we're more use to.

I don't know how old Shushu is, but if she's old enough, I'm sure she'd appreciate an i-Pod Mini. ($149) :lol:

Agree 90%. Macadamia nuts are selling all over the place in China super market now so it may not be impressive. Other then that....Lance is DA MAN. :D (No pistachios for me. It create gas and no good for dating after eating them :sosad: )

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Wisconsin Ginseng, is that for the family or for michaelt to put "lead" in his pencil!!!

:huh: ;)

Sorry my Mrs. was missing me much this morning and have not been the same since talking with her!! :huh:

Need Korean Ginseng for that. American Ginseng is cold, Korean ginseng is hot. American Ginseng is used to treat hot problems. Fever blisters and others problems like that are treated very well by American Ginseng. Lead in the pencil is done by the Korean. The roots are quite different. I often buy the root in pill form from GNC. Also if Mom and Dad has heart problems many Chinese doctors are starting to prescribe CoEnzyne Q10.

Pistachios are a safe choice.

Don't forget that you should give $$$$$$ when you take her to the US.

Pistachios huh? I love pistachios...too much work though, sometimes!! Money is the norm huh? Quite understandable though. I'm sure she is a major contributor in the family. Just out of curiosity, what is considered not insulting? Hundreds? Thousands? Refinance my home? : )

$999 or $9,999 or $99,999; something like that. :blink:

And $500 for sisters or brothers if she has any. (new clothes)

Edited by pkfops (see edit history)