Petitioner passport (notarize?)

I was just looking through the kitchen sink list. I noticed it says one of the reasons for a possible blue slip is petitioner's passport not certified. Does this mean that it must be notarized? Last time I read all the info on this I came to the conclusion that since I will be in GZ at the interview and my SO will have my passport in hand that it doesn't need to be notarized. What does certified mean? Any suggestions?

If you are sending a photo copy to your fiancee to take to the visa interview many say have the copy notarized or "Certified".

Since I went to Guangzhou to be with my Yu for the interview, I just gave her my passport to take into the interview, no copies needed.

I remember seeing a fairly recent interview where the American fiance brought his passport, his SO presented it to the VO, but the SO was still asked for a notarized copy.

I think this was an oversight on the VO's part and not the norm. Having the passport there is better proof than any notarized copy!

I went to be with my SO at the interview, gave her my passport to take inside, and gave her a notarized copy made of my passport as part of the kitchen sink. It was never asked for.

I remember seeing a fairly recent interview where the American fiance brought his passport, his SO presented it to the VO, but the SO was still asked for a notarized copy.

I think this was an oversight on the VO's part and not the norm. Having the passport there is better proof than any notarized copy!

I went to be with my SO at the interview, gave her my passport to take inside, and gave her a notarized copy made of my passport as part of the kitchen sink. It was never asked for.

I'm doing the same. In our folder, there will be color copies of ALL pages (even blank), and only stamped pages will be notarized. My gal will also have my visa, since I will be there.

I was just looking through the kitchen sink list. I noticed it says one of the reasons for a possible blue slip is petitioner's passport not certified. Does this mean that it must be notarized? Last time I read all the info on this I came to the conclusion that since I will be in GZ at the interview and my SO will have my passport in hand that it doesn't need to be notarized. What does certified mean? Any suggestions?

As the range of answers you've gotten indicates, there's really no correct one. It boils down to doing what's comfortable for YOU and your SO. Some notarize,some don't,whether they're going to have the real thing in GUZ or not. For me, I decided that since I was going to be there, the only thing I would actually notarize was the I-134. I was comfortable with it.

Good luck. <_<

Guest Mike and Lily

If they don't like your application for any reason, they will look for ticky-tack paperwork deficiencies to give you a blue slip for. They asked for the copy of my passport even though they had my actual passport itself! I would have gotten the blue for sure if it wasn't notarized. Do it before you leave the USA and have all your other paperwork in order. If they don't like something, they will go after this kind of stuff. Believe it!

If they don't like your application for any reason, they will look for ticky-tack paperwork deficiencies to give you a blue slip for. They asked for the copy of my passport even though they had my actual passport itself! I would have gotten the blue for sure if it wasn't notarized. Do it before you leave the USA and have all your other paperwork in order. If they don't like something, they will go after this kind of stuff. Believe it!

That is why I have originals and copies of everything (and a duplicate set of everything in case my gal loses something). I also had just about everything notarized. My poor Notary (actually not so poor anymore!) earned her money this time!!!

Edited by michaelt (see edit history)

By the way, IllinoisDave

How's everything going back in Illinois? Everybody adjusting ok? We are soooooo jealous!

Things are going great here. Thanks for asking pha. :) Very busy getting the SSN taken care of and starting the AOS process. Add to that getting ready for our wedding reception in a couple of weeks and our time is pretty well spoken for.

Don't worry, you'll be in our situation very soon.

Good luck. :)

By the way, IllinoisDave

How's everything going back in Illinois? Everybody adjusting ok? We are soooooo jealous!

Things are going great here. Thanks for asking pha. :) Very busy getting the SSN taken care of and starting the AOS process. Add to that getting ready for our wedding reception in a couple of weeks and our time is pretty well spoken for.

Don't worry, you'll be in our situation very soon.

Good luck. :)

We're ALL still wearing smiles for you two! :)