Really dumb question

Gee guys, why are you making this so complicated? You sign your name in one box and write your name in your native alphabet in the other. I haven't seen anywhere that pin yin is required. By and large though most people use a pin yin signature once they get here.

Guest Rob & Jin

We're looking at the same thing and reading it entirely differently.

I dont want to sound like a sheep, but cant most chinese read and write in pinyin ?

If not then just use whatever they use even if its a X. Then in the box below write it in chinese characters.

I dont want to sound like a sheep, but cant most chinese read and write in pinyin ?

If not then just use whatever they use even if its a X. Then in the box below write it in chinese characters.

No - pinyin wasn't taught until fairly recently - definitely not during the Cultural Revolution. Jiaying's first attempt was here in the US on a signature pad, and didn't come out very well. She can read and write English a little (now), but never learned pinyin.

She would sign her name using the Chinese script.

Your signature is whatever you're used to signing things with. Some choose to start using a pinyin signature.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
Guest Rob & Jin

No - pinyin wasn't taught until fairly recently - definitely not during the Cultural Revolution. Jiaying's first attempt was here in the US on a signature pad, and didn't come out very well. She can read and write English a little (now), but never learned pinyin.

Your signature is whatever you're used to signing things with. Some choose to start using a pinyin signature.

OK, then just sign with whatever is your signature, as I said

OK, then just sign with whatever is your signature, as I said

It's really just a sign your name here/print your name here-type thing.

Gee guys, why are you making this so complicated? You sign your name in one box and write your name in your native alphabet in the other. I haven't seen anywhere that pin yin is required. By and large though most people use a pin yin signature once they get here.

You tell'em, Carl! I agree with you 100%!... ;)