Failed Overcome

Good luck to ya. I am so sorry to hear this.

Your wife's VO wouldn't happen to be a white 60's something American female would she?

I truly hope you can find a way to overcome this injustice.

tsap seui

Hopin' for Plan A, gettin' prepared for Plan B

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are still in China get a lawyer to fight to hold the case there and be able to resubmit overcome under their supervision. Don't get too concerned about the money they want, it will be cheaper to fight it now than later.

It will be much faster, cheaper and easier. Some cases have been in the return process for a year with no sign of them making it back.

Don't believe the consulate will try to give you a fair shake on this, you need to take action now before the window of opportunity closes.

I agree with Lee. It will cost you money in GUZ or time (lots of time) if it comes back to the USA.

Is it just me or doesn't this have the earmarks of 3rd party interference?

I have no previous marriages so I don't think this is the case here although my wife is divorced. I also considered that there is an age difference although I am very young looking for my age. This could have contributed to a confluence of potential problems in the VO's opinion.

I have no previous marriages so I don't think this is the case here although my wife is divorced. I also considered that there is an age difference although I am very young looking for my age. This could have contributed to a confluence of potential problems in the VO's opinion.

At the risk of stating the obvious here, I'll state the obvious - 3rd party correspondence comes from a third party. Anyone with knowledge of the case. The consulate has given us every reason to think that anything from gossip from a jealous acquaintance, to someone with direct knowledge of the individuals can be taken seriously.

Any suggestions for lawyers. The name of the lawyer I spoke to at the consulate was Peter Paget. What's the word on him?

Peter Paget is good. He's pricey but he knows his job in and out. I never heard a bad remark about him.

He is also a Candle member although he hasn't posted in a long time. His username is king

-good luck

Any suggestions for lawyers. The name of the lawyer I spoke to at the consulate was Peter Paget. What's the word on him?

Try to get quotes from other GZ lawyers. Perhaps your wife could assist in this. In my experience with Paget I felt he was way out of line in the price he was asking for routine tasks. People on CFL tend to be positive about him because every now and then he posts here. Unless money is no object, in my opinion you're probably better off with someone else.

Try to get quotes from other GZ lawyers. Perhaps your wife could assist in this. In my experience with Paget I felt he was way out of line in the price he was asking for routine tasks. People on CFL tend to be positive about him because every now and then he posts here. Unless money is no object, in my opinion you're probably better off with someone else.

Jim, we all know you think Peter is expensive. It is conceded that he also really knows his stuff. Maybe you can make a recommendation for an alternative?

I.E. Instead of saying he is expensive, why not say who you think is as qualifed and costs less.

-James

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I agree with the others that you should try to keep your case in GUZ if you can keep it there.

I'm wondering if nothing else comes to light -- it could be TPC (third party correspondence)? When this comes into the picture, your "right to due process" is put on hold. A qualified local lawyer may be able to help you in this situation.

Which part of China is she from? This may also shed some light.

Just coming up with the things I can think of based on the experience of others I have read about.

ILS.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I agree with the others that you should try to keep your case in GUZ if you can keep it there.

I'm wondering if nothing else comes to light -- it could be TPC (third party correspondence)? When this comes into the picture, your "right to due process" is put on hold. A qualified local lawyer may be able to help you in this situation.

Which part of China is she from? This may also shed some light.

Just coming up with the things I can think of based on the experience of others I have read about.

ILS.

There is no due process at GUZ - There is no court you turn to, no one who can right any wrongs unless the VO's are willing to listen.

A lawyer can help, but he is also at the mercy of GUZ.

Jim, we all know you think Peter is expensive. It is conceded that he also really knows his stuff. Maybe you can make a recommendation for an alternative?

I.E. Instead of saying he is expensive, why not say who you think is as qualifed and costs less.

-James

James ... sorry if you find my post repetitive. Obviously I don't think we all know that Paget is very high priced or I wouldn't post the item above. The new people just get a recommendation from well meaning CFLrs, most (all?) of whom have not used Paget, to go to him and I feel it needs to be put into perspective.

The feeling I got in discussing a matter in our case with Paget is that the company he works for feeds on the vulnerability of visa applicants who have just had an unfortunate turn in their case and uses that vulnerability to over charge. My feeling is based on my discussion with him and his Chinese colleagues. Others may have a different opinion.

If I had another lawyer to recommend I would do so ... but I don't. In our case I simply asked a friend who lived in Guangzhou to do what needed to be done.

-James

James ... sorry if you find my post repetitive. Obviously I don't think we all know that Paget is very high priced or I wouldn't post the item above. The new people just get a recommendation from well meaning CFLrs, most (all?) of whom have not used Paget, to go to him and I feel it needs to be put into perspective.

The feeling I got in discussing a matter in our case with Paget is that the company he works for feeds on the vulnerability of visa applicants who have just had an unfortunate turn in their case and uses that vulnerability to over charge. My feeling is based on my discussion with him and his Chinese colleagues. Others may have a different opinion.

If I had another lawyer to recommend I would do so ... but I don't. In our case I simply asked a friend who lived in Guangzhou to do what needed to be done.

Jim

It appears your experience with Peter Paget was not a good one but there are others who counter your thoughts about him.

I don't know him or have any experience retaining his services but I always heard good things about him. There is one CFL member who spoke well of him after hiring him for visa help.

I'm sorry for your discouraging experience and I wished things had gone better between the two of you. Afterall, he is a CFL member.

I know members who decided the the price of a lawyer to fight a white slip was too much. Many have then waited waited for more than a year for the case returning to the US, then spent money on a lawyer to fight the case. Either way it's going to cost money.

Once a white slip shows up it becomes a matter of survival and money is a secondary issue. You can always find a way to make more money, but nothing will give you back the time you loose being separated.

I've met Peter more than once and found him to be a competent attorney and nice person. He normally works on other visa types than family visas, but he knows his stuff.

I am sure there are other attorneys in GZ who are qualified to handle this type of case, but I have no personal knowledge of them or their fees.

When money is the determining factor in any decision, you get what you paid for and usually it isn't quite what you desired.