Just got done watching "Chinas sexual revolution" and I reccomend everyone watch it, especialy if your SO is from the older generation. There is a huge gap between the younger generation (30's and below) compaired to the older in terms of marriage and sexual relation.

One thing that struck me as odd, they show Beijing has many sex shops all over but when I walked around shanghai I didnt see one at all. Maybe I just didnt explore enough.

Maybe you were in the wrong district. We went to Shanghai in June of '05 and I saw 2 or 3 "barber shops" on every street. Blatant. Same in Nanning, but in isolated pockets. Same in Guangzhou and Guilin and Shenzen. I saw some in YongKang City, too. In fact, other than P.I. (where I lived for a year) and Thailand (never been, but from what I've heard), I've seen more "sexy for hire" in China than any other place I've ever been!

I'm amazed that it's so open while being illegal, but I read somewhere that China has strict laws, loosely enforced, while the U.S. has loose laws, strictly enforced. I'm not sure I agree with the U.S. part, but as for China, when it comes to this issue, I agree with that analysis. It might be illegal, but I've seen a lot...

Best Regards

Well China's campaign against "spiritual pollution" didn't get too far. :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A while back there was a thread here about Chairman Mao but I didn't know anything about him to participate. After he died people began to wonder if he was really that stupid or was he just plain evil. I think he was a stupid AND evil man.

I'm in complete agreement with you, Charles, but what does your wife think? Bini is also from the 'countryside' and she is VERY apolitical, but I would never say anything like this to her.

I think most Chinese see Mao as being George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abe Lincoln, FDR, JFK, the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus all rolled into one. I wouldn't want to get involved in that debate; I'm still educating them on what a slimeball Bill Clinton is (my strongest argument amongst the women I know over there is that Clinton cheated on his wife; THAT is a deal breaker for every gal I've talked to!!).

:)

Best Regards

My wife had mixed feelings about Mao. She recognizes the suffering he caused and his many blunders but she also feels that he united the Chinese people for a common cause which was prosperity (that they never achieved under his rule by the way). I had no problem talking with my wife about him. She was open for discussion.

I think the Chinese look to Dr. Sun Yat-sen as the "George Washington" of China. Chairman Mao was the "sun" to the Chinese.

My wife had mixed feelings about Mao. She recognizes the suffering he caused and his many blunders but she also feels that he united the Chinese people for a common cause which was prosperity (that they never achieved under his rule by the way). I had no problem talking with my wife about him. She was open for discussion.

I think the Chinese look to Dr. Sun Yat-sen as the "George Washington" of China. Chairman Mao was the "sun" to the Chinese.

Good point about Sun Yat-sen. He was the one leader venerated by both sides in the Communist/Nationalist conflict. Too bad he didn't live for another 20 years.

Just got done watching "Chinas sexual revolution" and I reccomend everyone watch it, especialy if your SO is from the older generation. There is a huge gap between the younger generation (30's and below) compaired to the older in terms of marriage and sexual relation.

One thing that struck me as odd, they show Beijing has many sex shops all over but when I walked around shanghai I didnt see one at all. Maybe I just didnt explore enough.

I know quite a bit about the older generation as I have learned from my wife. Also she is from the rural area so sometimes they are last to fall in line with what goes on in the big cities. I will check out this movie and thanks!!!!

I actualy got this from a friend, as an .avi video. File name says CBC and on the intro the only clue I get is the title name of the show "Doc Zone" hope that helps you =)

I'm still educating them on what a slimeball Bill Clinton is (my strongest argument amongst the women I know over there is that Clinton cheated on his wife; THAT is a deal breaker for every gal I've talked to!!).

;)

Best Regards

Mike why not do yourself and everybody else a favor and just say NO to the political crap... :rolleyes:

Good point about Sun Yat-sen. He was the one leader venerated by both sides in the Communist/Nationalist conflict. Too bad he didn't live for another 20 years.

I thought the same but history just would not have it :rolleyes:

I know quite a bit about the older generation as I have learned from my wife. Also she is from the rural area so sometimes they are last to fall in line with what goes on in the big cities. I will check out this movie and thanks!!!!

I actualy got this from a friend, as an .avi video. File name says CBC and on the intro the only clue I get is the title name of the show "Doc Zone" hope that helps you =)

I found the link but it wants me to download a plug in. Is it safe?

What website, I can look at it for you with my virus protection on and make sure.

What website, I can look at it for you with my virus protection on and make sure.

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1002968 sometimes I do not trust virus protection :whistling:

As for the others you've listed above, I would be happy to comment on them too if anyone in China knows who they are. I'm an equal opportunity truth teller when it comes to slimey politicians; I've known too many of them personally.

P.S. It's MARRIED presidents, and... the key issue for my Chinese friends was that he was MARRIED. Seems they have a sense of morality that escapes most present day Americans. :angry:

P.P.S. I've edited out your quote from my original post and I'm also deleting same. It wasn't intended to be a political comment, it was more a comment on the morality of the Chinese women I know in China. They were really offended by the situation and were surprised when I told them what I knew after they asked me about B.C.

Edited by DMikeS4321 (see edit history)

Mike why not do yourself and everybody else a favor and just say NO to the political crap... :angry:

Roger, why don't YOU quit selling Che tee shirts?

This wasn't political, it was a comment about morality, or is THAT political too???

I'm deleting my original post. It's up to you to do the same if you find it offensive, or... you can leave it in your replies to me.

By the way, Rog, if it was so offensive, why did you quote it and keep the ball rolling?

Edited by DMikeS4321 (see edit history)

It is difficult for Americans to stand back and look at any country's evolution without bias. ...many years as an old school journalist may have helped my perspective.

I do not look at Mao as good or evil, but rather as a (necessary) step forward in a feudal society's evolution into modern times: there was good progress and there were heinous things. The evolution of modern America is not without many comparable moments.

My gal's family was broken up when she was young; the children worked on farms and I do not know where her parents were sent. I do know that she won't discuss it in email, but promises to explain to me at Spring Festival.

I just ordered the documentary from Amazon and will watch it with interest.

Another video I'd like to recommend is "China, from the inside" by PBS Home video.

I think it is well done. Just started watching it so I'll give some more feedback when I've completed it. It's 4 hours.

Timb

Let me know how it is. I might want to see this as well. Thanksssssss

It is difficult for Americans to stand back and look at any country's evolution without bias. ...many years as an old school journalist may have helped my perspective.

I do not look at Mao as good or evil, but rather as a (necessary) step forward in a feudal society's evolution into modern times: there was good progress and there were heinous things. The evolution of modern America is not without many comparable moments.

My gal's family was broken up when she was young; the children worked on farms and I do not know where her parents were sent. I do know that she won't discuss it in email, but promises to explain to me at Spring Festival.

I just ordered the documentary from Amazon and will watch it with interest.

Griz you might find this documentary especially interesting to you because several old school Chinese journalists give their opinions and state facts about what they actually saw and went through. One journalist in particular said that after Mao died then many of the Chinese were looking at Mao as evil.